My new iPhone 5S has a nick, are they all imperfect? (pic included)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chuck-Norris, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

the main reason i ask this is cause i went thoguh this last year with my ipad mini. 8 ipad minis, and all had some sort of nick or something on the chamfered edge or metal finish.

i know it seems a bit OCD but, i bought the iphone 5s unlocked 32gb. 812 dollars in canada with taxes and everything.

i actually bought a 16gb 2 months back and it had a nick similar to this but bigger , more like a chip but returned it anyway since i couldnt sell the 5 until now. got 600 for my 32gb iphone 5 and put it towards a 5S.

anyways heres a pic, its right above the ringer switch.

are they all gonna be like this or should i keep this as the next one could be worse?

Attached Files:

2. fenskezen macrumors regular

3. ant1298 macrumors 6502

ant1298

I'd just enjoy the phone, it's there but it's hardly noticeable.

4. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

I agree.

5. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Absolutely ridiculous QC from Apple. I wouldn't accept that, think about your resale value, not to mention apple 'prides itself' on making the best smartphones in the world.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, mine came out flawless, and it was a launch-day shipment.

As to whether you should return it: if it's bothering you, then yes.

Bear in mind though, that eventually it IS going to nick through accidents or other handling issues. I've got two very tiny nicks similar to that, about 1mm apart. Not sure how they got there (they weren't there out of the box and didn't appear until a month later), but they're there now. Not something I'm going to obsess over though, especially since I have to look in a very specific angle to see it.

7. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

i jsut dont want to go through what i did with the ipad mini lol

i assume u used a case and still got nicks?

8. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I received mine and it was perfect, no nicks or anything. However when I bought my 5 last year it had nicks on it.

9. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Its up to you, and what level of "defectiveness" you're willing to live with. For me, and paying 800+, I'd exchange it. If it were <100, I'd let it go.

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If you are going to go through the same is really up to you!

eight iPad mini units? :eek:

11. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

the ipad minis had some sort of nick or scratch or something, it was horrible experience exchanging back and forth.

i ended up just returning the last one and got one as a gift for christmas a month later anyway lol. and yes the christmas gift one also had one tiny nick on the chamfered edge actually but it was free so i could care less at that point lol

----------

do you urself own a 5s too?

12. ipaclansite macrumors member

My iPhone 5S has a nick on the back glass, next to the camera. The cutout for the camera is where this is exposed from my case, must've gotten scratched. I have no idea how it got there, but it is much too late for me to return it. At first I thought it was dust, but after cleaning it several times, I've found out it was a nick in the glass. I don't think I can really do much at this point, so I've had to come to accept it. If I found out about it earlier though, I would've certainly returned it.

I recently bought a iPad Mini w/ Retina, a day later I found a single dead pixel, and returned/exchanged it immediately. At least that is considered a hardware defect.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Just "a bit" OCD ????
    If you changed 8 (eight !!!) iPad mini for "defects" like the one you showed on this photo, well .....

----------

Your it's flawless in your eyes, and probably in mine too .... but I'm sure people like him could find many "defects" in your unit also ...

14. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

yo man ipaid 800 dollars for this, thats alot of money

from your eyes, how would u see this nick as? would u exhcnage it if u were in my position

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

For 800 dollars (I paid more for my iPhone 5 since in Europe they are highly priced) you got a FUNCTIONAL IPHONE with just a barely noticeable minor cosmetic defect.

No, definitely no, I wouldn't change it.

For a dead pixel, YES !
    But for something so ridiculous, NOT.

16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

All eight of them?

Yes I got a 5S. I did not look that closely. I slipped it in the Sedio Shell case and have not looked back. Had it from the first day.

All eight mini's?

17. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

each one of them had some nick of scartch on the chamferred bezel. i was surprised too

i dont want to go through the same thing with th eiphone 5s :S

so im wondering if theyall are like this

18. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I agree, if the OP is bothered buy it I would definitely return it.

For $800 the buyer should receive a product that is perfect and flawless out of the box if that's what he desires. It will eventually end up nicked but he should be the one to do that, not the manufacturer. That's just last QC IMO.

19. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

im just worried its gonna be like the ipad mini i experienced...:(

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP is right. He's just a bit OCD, but extremely anal-retentive ;)

21. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

the phoe is 800 dollars, if u found this and paid that much wouldnt u be a little dissapointed?

----------

what do u mean by anal retentive?? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What people mean when they say they are OCD, they actually mean anal-retentive. Go look it up. Nothing to be mad over.

23. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Just checked my 5s and fortunately no nicks. I'm also a little OCD when it comes to my iPhone's (my androids not so much) because it really does affect the resale value. I slapped a Rocketfish clear tpu case and HD invisible shield on it from day 1 and I still baby it to no end.

If were me, I would return it and hope for the best.

24. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah im thinking of doing that. im just worried the second might be worse or have some other stupid issue. really dont want to go through the ipad mini adventure again i had last year :S

25. blue-bear macrumors member

i guess, its up to the person.

however the way i see it, is it is going to happen sooner or later, and its better that its a small nick rather than a large nick.

i just created one not long ago to be honest, by ironically knocking it into a macbook pro.

i'd say unless you're really pedantic i'd keep it and put a case over it.