My new MBP is a nightmare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by papatoony, Sep 24, 2012.

1. papatoony macrumors newbie

I just "upgraded" from a MBP running SL to one with Mountain Lion about a month ago, and I'm about the throw the ***** thing on the floor. It is UNUSABLE. First off the scrolling goes from normal to SUPER FAST for no good reason, causing me to totally lose my place. This happens over and over and over, and there is no way to disable it! Then there's the ***** rubber-banding effect. It wouldn't be a big deal if it were just at the top and bottom of each page--but it's on the sides too! Which makes the entire page slip around when I'm trying to scroll and read text, and THAT is a ***** annoyance. Again, NO WAY TO DISABLE IT. Then the cursor is erratic...it'll suddenly start moving faster and then slower, causing me to have trouble clicking the right places because it's so unpredictable and imprecise. WTF. And if that all isn't bad enough, the 3-finger swipe gesture between webpages only works HALF the time. The other half it is completely unresponsive. I am incredibly pissed and regretful that I sold my MBP running SL (it worked FLAWLESSLY) and "upgraded" to this horrific mess. And from what I understand I cannot go back to SL on this new hardware. GREAT! How come I'm not reading others complaining about these issues????

2. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

Just bring it back to the shop and get it fixed. That is why there is something like a guarantee.

3. Raunien macrumors 6502

Based on your issues, here is what I would recommend:

1. Download bettertouchtool (google it) and use it to adjust gestures. You can also adjust the sensitivity of the trackpad to help.

2. To disable rubber-band effect, use terminal:

defaults write -g NSScrollViewRubberbanding -int 0

3. If those don't help you, you can still revert back to Snow Leopard if you have the original install disks. If your machine was on snow leopard before, there's always a way to go back.

4. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Neither one of the responders seemed to have digested the OP's dilemma. He didn't say he upgraded his OS from SL to ML. He didn't say his computer was broken or in need of repair. He is saying he switched from a computer running SL to a new one running ML. SL will not run on Ivy Bridge based computers due to lack of driver support, so downgrading is not an option.

The main gist as I see it is that he is very unhappy with the evolution of OSX, including a lot of the iOS fluff that has pervaded the base experience that is OSX. I don't care for the springy stuff, either.

And for a 'newbie', how the hell does the above poster know explicit terminal commands? Where do you people go to get that kind of information? Wow.

5. papatoony thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a brand new MBP that came with ML...I've been told this hardware cannot run SL. Otherwise I'd have gone back a month ago!

According to Applecare, there's nothing to fix! They tell me most of these issues were "designed that way." How the heII engineers thought accelerated-scrolling and rubber-banding webpages were somehow enhancements to the user experience (and without offering an option to turn them off) is beyond me. Even with those two issues fixed, I'd still have the issue of 3-finger swipe not working and an erratic cursor to contend with. I so miss my old MBP, that thing worked like butter. Shame on me for thinking newer would mean better.

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

Download these free utilities; Tinker Tool v4.9 and Mountain Tweaks, use them to turn off the "features" you don't like, thus reverting to a more Snow Leopard-like environment.:cool: 3-finger swipes work for me, but you may need to install Bettertouchtool and set it up for that. ML still is in the early days, with every update bringing tons of bug fixes. Things will get better as time goes on, so don't give up yet.:D
    When you have the time, learn how to use Terminal to run commands, as the post above hinted, there are lots of commands that can be used to configure the OS to be more like your ideal, compared with Apple's.
    This site: http://hints.macworld.com/ has a lot of useful info.
    Or ask here, where there are many experts willing to help you.;)

7. leman macrumors 604

Threads like these are completely pointless. If your machine is defective, bring it to Apple and let them fix it.

On the other hand, if you cannot adapt to minimal UI changes in the new OS... well... :confused: To call a machine unusable because it has accelerated scrolling (which is one of my favourite features btw as it really improves the speed and accuracy of navigation in a text editor) or rubber-banding... that's a bit far fetched. As to the rest of your post: I have never noticed any imprecision in the cursor movement. The three-finger swipe indeed appears to be bugged out, but you can use two-finger swipe for the same effect which works well.

8. sydenham macrumors regular

Perhaps you are doing something wrong. Maybe you should return it and get your money back and go back to Snow Leopard. Sounds like user error to me.

9. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

+1 for the iOS rage. Apple is merging the phone with the desktop OS. Thats why all that slippery unnecessary crap is there. "For swiping", "For gesturing". You might get used to it though. I did. It is better on a laptop than a desktop. I still run 10.6 on my Mac Pro. Just be thankful you didn't have it ship with 10.7:p
    They can do whatever they want at default but the loss of critical user preferences is indeed enraging. There are plenty of threads on how users hate the new OS on the Mac Pro forum. There are a ton of Apple loyalist/ newbs on the portable pages which may be why you don't see so much anger. It's new to them and their phones rule, so...

----------

I guess you could try and find the fastest Macbook Pro that can run 10.6 on the used circuit. At least an i7 something but it may not be Quad core.

10. papatoony thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't even know what a text editor is, but congrats on that. What I do know is that accelerated scrolling does NOT improve anything when navigating webpages! It just infuriates and frustrates the user to the point where I'm ready to punch this thing. And to the person who said this is all "user error" ummm, no. I've owned four or five MBP's prior to this one and used them all flawlessly. This one, with the "latest and greatest" is an absolute wreck of a machine. I would love to return it, but I'd be charged a hefty restocking fee. Trust me, I've explored every possible option to get rid of this ***** thing and buy myself an old, used MBP with SL that actually works! I'd honestly feel bad pawning this thing off on someone else if I were to sell it. That's how bad it is. I have to stop typing now, my blood pressure is rising.

11. sydenham macrumors regular

Restocking fee from who? So you have had the computer for more than a month and you are only noticing a problem now? You have explored every possibility? I don't think so.

12. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

What have you been doing with your last four MBPs if you don't know what a text editor is?

Get over yourself w.r.t. "feeling bad pawning this thing off" on somebody. They sell lots of these things. You shouldn't have any problem getting out from under it. I've never spoken to anyone with a problem with the things you mention, so you are probably the outlier here.

I have to disagree with your points. Accelerated scrolling is quite useful. Do you have normal dexterity in your fingers? Are you unable to scroll slowly? I have no problems at all scrolling in a normal fashion, and frankly you are the only person I've ever heard complain about this sort of thing. You almost sound like a troll ;)

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

14. papatoony thread starter macrumors newbie

Restocking fee from Fry's, where I bought it. And no, I've noticed these things since the very start...I was hoping Apple would patch them eventually, which they're obviously not doing. So now I'm pissed.

----------

I don't want to HAVE to "scroll slowly" in order to avoid the webpage scrolling out of control! And even if I do scroll slowly, after the second or third swipe it takes off like a rocket! How completely retarded and useless. I'd seriously like to hear why this is useful to ANYONE when browsing the web??? If I need to get to the bottom of a page in a hurry, I have plenty of other options available to do so!

15. erfaillace macrumors newbie

Awesome

My macbook has never given me any problems, haha heres a photo I think it would be nice to share

Attached Files:

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Because there's nothing to patch. The things you're complaining about aren't bugs, they're just things that you don't like.

I understand that there's things about the OS that you aren't happy with. That's pretty typical of any OS. Your choices are to find a way to work around them (i.e. TinkerTool) or to learn how to use them correctly (learning how to properly control the scrolling, as millions of others have). Yes, it may be different than what you're used to, but if you relax a little and really try, I think you can manage it. People here have given you suggestions about what you can do. Ranting and raving isn't going to do any good at this point. Take some steps to make things better for yourself, or sell the computer and move on.

17. sydenham macrumors regular

Lets see. You are too noble to sell it on to someone else because that would be the wrong thing to do. You will not pay a restocking fee. You seem to be the only person having a problem with scrolling. hmmmmm.

18. papatoony thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Why doesn't 3-finger swipe work half the time then?? That's a bug! And there are a lot of people who don't like the other things I've mentioned, so I've been hoping Apple would include in one of their updates the ability to turn OFF the stupid accelerated scrolling and/or rubber-banding

19. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

You know, so people do like the functionality you hate.

20. papatoony thread starter macrumors newbie

Why should I have to eat a $200 restocking fee because of this POS? And I'm about to sling it up on craigslist, I'm over it. Just have to find myself an adequate replacement with Snow Leopard first. BUH BYE "updated" MBP! What a nightmare. My next laptop will be a PC if Apple doesn't get their **** together. If I wanted my laptop to act like an iPhone, I'd buy an iPhone!!!

----------

And yet no one has given me a reason WHY? Tell me how accelerated scrolling helps you browse the web please??

21. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Right, because only people with Mac Pros matter. And everyone that's on the portable boards is new and stupid. Of course. This must be the first Mac I've ever owned, and since I actually like it I must be incapable of thinking for myself. Thanks for pointing that out to me. :rolleyes: Your generalizations suck.

----------

Why does it matter if other people give you reasons why they like it? YOU don't. This entire thread has been one big rant-fest and is completely unproductive. You don't want to listen to what anyone else has to say, so why should anyone bother trying to help? You could have created a post about your issues without acting like you're having a temper tantrum, and you may have gotten more responses that way. You chose to purchase from a place that has a restocking fee. You've now kept a computer that you hate for a month. Apparently your only choices are to curse and be miserable, pay the restocking fee, or sell the computer. You don't need to subject the rest of us to your cursing tirades to make that decision. No one here can help you, because you don't want to listen to what anyone says anyways. Just end the thread and be on your way.

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

You need to chill out and adapt, man.

Seriously. I blame user error all the way.

Are you one of those people(like my mother) who refuse to drive other people's cars because they don't know how to handle a clutch that is different to what they're used to?

Things change, evolve. Slow down your scrolling movements and it'll scroll fine, scrolling fast makes your computer assume you want to go to the end of the document, hence the inertial scrolling, it works the same way on every single touch screen device I've ever used. Apple decided it was more instinctive to work that way, same goes with the "reverse" scrolling. If you wanted to see the bottom of a large page(on paper, on your desk), you'd push the page up to get to the bottom... Most people that have never used a laptop before actually prefer that.

Swiping between pages is done with 2 fingers, not 3, 3 is used to switch between spaces. Again, user error.

The spring effect is pure eye candy, nothing more, nothing less, I don't see why it bothers you so much. Ever used an iPhone, it works exactly the same way.

None of what you mentioned is an actual issue, it's actually a feature.

23. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

You have to swipe your fingers fast to activate the 3-finger swipe gesture.

I didn't even know there is something like accelerated scrolling before I read this thread. Just now when I am trying it I can see it. I think it's just metter of few days to get used to it.

The rubber-banding is IMHO good feature but if you don't like it you CAN turn it off as somebody here in the thread said.

I have my new MBP just 2 days and I don't have any issues that you mentioned. I switched from Linux though.

24. derbothaus, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

I don't see the point of you. But OK you can war with everyone if you want. You completely missed the point in your excitability to complain and argue. Words put in mouths and such. Why are you even taking personal offense with anything? Did I direct anything toward you? You just jumped on taking the thread personal with a self righteous tone. This is the web, people complain about problems that are not really problems. Get over it or sign the **** out. It is looking as though OP is semi-trolling at this point. Anyone willing to just "get a PC" instead is also missing the point.

25. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

My goal isn't to war with anyone, but you should keep in mind that your post may read differently than you intended it to. Your post made it sound as if the only people that have any sense are the Mac Pro users (of which I am one, by the way) that are complaining about the OS. Everyone else is a loyalist or newb. It's just a very narrow opinion to have, and yes, that bugs me. I apologize if it felt like I jumped down your throat, as that wasn't my intention. But the whole "old crowd" vs. "new crowd" thing is getting annoying, and it's something that I've seen a lot of on here.

There's plenty of people here in the notebooks forum that have been with Apple for quite a long time...there's a lot of us that didn't come to Apple through the iPhone. Whether or not people like the changes to the OS doesn't necessarily reflect on them being Apple loyalists or newbs. There's plenty out there that just have differing opinions than you. That was my point.