My new MBP review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pees330, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I can sum it up in one word: "WOW"

I cannot believe how fast this machine is. I am coming from a 12" 1.33ghz G4 iBook and this things screams (that's what Steve would say). For the first time the other day I feel as though I actually experienced fully what Macs are all about. This is after owning my iBook for almost 3 years.

Screen: I got the matte version and boy is it beautiful. The 15" seems like a monster compared to my 12". Also now I can use real screen resolutions, not just 1024x768. I don't seem to notice any yellowing, but I'm not going to test for it. If I don't see it, it's not worth pointing it out to me.

Speed: The speed of this machine is unbelievable to me and I even got the 2.4ghz model. I still can't fathom the concept of apps loading in 1 bounce or in just a few. I haven't put the machine to any rigorous day to day activity that much yet, but I feel it won't be a problem.

Temperature I haven't noticed the MBP getting too hot when I use it. The only hot part on the top that I can feel is right above the keyboard towards where the screen connects. The bottom is a little warm, but it's not bad.

I don't know of any other big topics off the top of my head. I just wanted to tell everyone that if you're leaning for a new machine, buy one. I am 100% satisfied with this machine and it'll do all I need plus more. I just wanted to share my thoughts because I know it was always helpful to read other peoples' real experiences with new products.

If anyone has any questions for me I'll try to answer them.

2. WHM macrumors regular

Agree With Your Review

I came from a 3 year old PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 1.5 Ram. New MacPro 2.6 GHz 7200 Rpm HD with 4 G ram. It is like going from a horse drawn carriage to a race car. WOW No complaints at all

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

It's good to see some positive comments on the boards. There's been a lot of negativity lately surrounding the MBPs from people waiting for the recent update or unhappy with the recent update.

Enjoy your new Macs!

4. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

I'm in the exact same boat. Quite a jump in between my ibook, bottom of the line ~3 years ago vs a damn fine macbook pro. Glad to hear you like it...mine is going to arrive sometime this week. :)

Play any games on it?

5. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Speaking in terms of sheer speed, I am in the same boat too. My 1.33GHz iBook is dog slow compared to my 2.2GHz BlackBook, the just-obsoleteified revision. I still love my iBook though, and it gets used regularly. :)

6. Pees330 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I only tried out Battlefield 2 in Boot Camp because I had the disc lying around. I put it on all high settings and there was not even one hiccup. It played smoother on my MBP than it did when I initially bought it for my Alienware desktop (it's a few years old but was upgraded).

I'm going to download some demos soon to check it out with more recent games.

7. macthille macrumors member

Sounds great. Let us know about your new discoveries =)

8. pionata macrumors 6502

Hey, Im upgrading from a mac mini 1.42ghz and ibook 12" 800mhx duo (both with 512 megs of ram) to a brand new 15" MBP with 4 gigs of ram (lower end model).

According to my calculations it should be around 8 times faster than the mac mini and it has 8 times more ram. Woot!

9. sjb macrumors regular

I picked up the 2.5 15" on Thursday night. I am absolutely blown away by the speed of this machine! It even makes my 2.33GHz iMac seem slow. It has me wondering if I should do a fresh install of Leopard on the iMac (it was an upgrade from Tiger).

I also got the Matte screen. I just now discovered the .icc files to adjust the colors of the display. The 'Monitor Profile.icc' file makes my display look beautiful. You don't realize how horrible the colors and contrast are on the default profile included with the device until you load another profile. Search on this forum for icc and you'll find it. Huge improvement!

I was a little hesitant to spend so much on a new laptop (I have a PowerBook G4 1.5G as well -- any takers? :) ), but I couldn't be happier with my purchase!

-Steve

10. cobbe1 macrumors member

cobbe1

It's game!

Bootcamp Vista Business (free from University MS program :p )
    Installed:
    World In Conflict runs in DX10, GREAT
    TF2, Wonderful
    Portal, no problem

Next:
    Crysis
    COD4
    UT3

Loving it:D

11. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Oh! Can you update me, and everyone else, on your game testing abilities for Crysis, COD4, and UT3? Are there any more recent games you can test as well?

12. macthille macrumors member

keep em comming :)

Really nice tip about the icc-profile btw. I've been planning to calibrate my screen for a while and finally decided to do it.. And now the gray parts are gray! yay!

Keep posting the results of your gaming experiences, thanks!

13. sbebble macrumors newbie

Can any of you new MBP owners tell me which firewire chipset Apple is putting in these? If you boot in single user mode (holding command S) it will tell you. Then you just need to type reboot and hit return.

Thanks a lot. I need to avoid the Lucent/Agere chip.

14. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

15. Madness macrumors regular

16. Freyqq macrumors 68040

yeah..i went from a 1.5 pb G4 to the last rev mbp. Huge difference..boy do i like the transition from ppc to intel

17. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

You guys are all pansies. Youre not on my iMac equipped with an 800Mhz G4, a SCREAMING fast Nvidia Geforce 2MX (at 2x AGP), a 66Mhz bus, and a monumental 80GB HDD @5400 RPM. It's even got 512 RAM. Yeah, I know.

I donno. I don't think my incoming 2.5 MBP is gonna be that much faster.

18. Freyqq macrumors 68040

i am trembling in fear at your awesome computer

19. Pees330 thread starter macrumors 6502

I checked it out for you and this is what I saw.

FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8025 built-in

20. matperk macrumors 6502

I could only find the glossy icc. Do you have a link for the matte one?

21. Freyqq macrumors 68040

idk there was a thread on here a while ago of people posting their own. One of them was really good that i'm using now.

22. Gretzky macrumors newbie

Congrats Pees330!!
    I too just upgraded from an iBook to the new MBP (17"), and I couldn't be more happy :)

23. Pees330 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks and congrats to you too :D I am so incredibly satisfied with my new machine.

24. valvehead macrumors regular

I'm praying that mine will have TI also. This is very important since plan to get an RME Fireface 800 to replace my MOTU PCI setup.

25. sjb macrumors regular