Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I live in a major metro city with many Apple stores. Because I buy so much Apple gear, I frequent several of these stores. Overall I've had nothing but excellent experiences both in sales and the genius bar.

That said it's important to remember that contrary to popular belief, Apple is not perfect. They are a company staffed with people that may or may not follow policy perfectly. One bad experience while not pleasant, is no cause to condemn Apple or their stores.

If anything, I blame the problem on the old CEO for creating unreasonably high expectations based on smoke & mirrors marketing. Wild claims of "Magical & Revolutionary" devices.

On one hand that's why Apple has a cult and runaway sales.

On the other hand it's why so many have unrealistically high expectations.

What goes around, comes around.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I know what you mean. The problem is that the "geniuses" have too much individual authority on what they can or will do for you. The result...You get one who is having a bad day and you're S.O.L.

I'd go back to that store, ask for the manager and tell him the exact story you told here. And then ask him to explain it to you and give you a reasonable explaination. Apple retail policies and procedures should be consistant across the board. Sometimes it works out good (ie. guy walks in apple with a smashed, out of warranty iphone screen and walks out with a replacement free of charge). But then someone else walks in with the EXACT same problem and it's $199 to replace. It really werid that Apple would have such a loose retail policy. It could only cause problems. I had a friend that actually made 4 different appointments at 2 different Apple stores until he got a free replacement. First 3 said NO, 4th appointment got genius in a good mood, and got a free replacement. But those days are gone. Apple no longer will do any 1 time courtesy replacement. But the point is that it was totally pot luck which I think is bad business.

I'm glad they took care of your issue. But it's rediculous that you had to go to a different store and make an additional phone call to get your problem resolved.
Apple just did a "one time courtesy replacement" on my smashed iPhone 4S just 4 days ago...

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
The rattle is the autofocus element in the lens

Every iPhone 4 and 4s should have it. Place the camera lens near your ear and tap on it with your finger.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
The thing hasn't been out for a week and you already smashed it????

Congratz!!! :rolleyes:

Strangely enough, I did...thanks for your compassion...LOL
I was walking while trying to put the phone in it's new case, two young kids were running out of a Red Robin restaurant I was walking by and ran right into me...the phone flew out of my hands and landed right on its face on the concreate. I made an appointment with the Genius Bar for the next day and they replaced the phone...I was obviously very appreciative...

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Strangely enough, I did...thanks for your compassion...LOL
I was walking while trying to put the phone in it's new case, two young kids were running out of a Red Robin restaurant I was walking by and ran right into me...the phone flew out of my hands and landed right on its face on the concreate. I made an appointment with the Genius Bar for the next day and they replaced the phone...I was obviously very appreciative...

LOL! Well, I'm glad Apple took care of you. They did the same thing for me a few months back for my iPad 2. I used to be a Windows user. Now look at my sig. They won me over. :apple:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have spent over 80K on Apple Equipment and this kind of obnoxious behavior really turned me off. I'll probably stick with apple since I am invested ... but man this left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sorry to tell you this, but I think you need to spend at least 10x that to have them take your seriously.

Anyways, it's probably your attitude more or less that the Genius denied you the satisfaction of getting what you wanted.

marty11

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
It happens. I opened a DOA ipod one xmas, brought it in the next day and the ear-wax-picking "genius" insisted I was to receive a refurb.... by mail. I refused.

Talked to the doorman on the way out, he hooked me up with a new replacement pronto.

Awesome you went to another store.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
LOL! Well, I'm glad Apple took care of you. They did the same thing for me a few months back for my iPad 2. I used to be a Windows user. Now look at my sig. They won me over. :apple:

They were excellent...I felt lucky however that i got one of the rare female geniuses...:D
She was very kind and compassionate and felt very bad for me and said "we're gonna take care of this for you"...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.