My "OMG Apple Exchanged my 2010 MBP" thread, with a twist!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enklined, Feb 27, 2011.

1. enklined, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

enklined macrumors 6502

I'll try to keep this brief (skip to the next paragraph to start the "twist"), but wanted to share as I found it fascinating. Essentially I was able exchange my top of the line 15" 2010 MBP i7 with Hi-Res AG, purchased in December 2010 for the new 15" i7 2011 2.3 Ghz with Hi-Res AG screen. This took about 45 minutes on the phone, collectively, between an Apple employee and a manager. I wouldn't accept no for an answer, and ultimately got what I wanted, and am very happy. This was done under a business account, so I used that as leverage - because it's true...if my company is happy with the MBP's and their performance, we will be purchasing more (20 employees, of which 5-10 could take advantage of a truly mobile workstation/desktop replacement). The 2010 MBP, well, I couldn't recommend my company buy them, as they did not meet our needs (I'm sort of "piloting" the MBP's for my company).

When I went in for the exchange, they found the 2010 MBP had had a discount applied to the purchase my 2010 MBP 2 days after I purchased it. The credit was a $300 "Corporate of Government Discount" and the difference was taken out as a GIFT CARD. Now, I NEVER went back in and got a discount, nor did my office manager have the discount applied as my company does not have a corporate relationship with Apple, nor are we a government agency (basically, we are ineligible for the discount). The manager handling the transaction asked me various questions, trying to investigate what had happened, and stated that this large of a discount was very unusual. Essentially we were just doing a straight trade, the 2010 MBP for the 2011 MBP, but for Apple's accounting systems they needed to know why the 2010 MBP received a $300 credit so they could apply that same discount to the one I was picking up.

We basically moved on and started the process, but the manager left the receipt for the $300 credit/gift card on the table. It was done by customer Haba Revolt, with email address revoltcomics@me.com

I haven't looked much, but if this account is the same as a person with the account revoltcomics@hotmail.com, it looks like this person may live in South America (Argentina).

Either Apple got hacked, or this is an inside job. Either way, collecting $300 from a MBP around Christmas time...wow. Imagine how many times that was done? This person (or group of people) must have gotten away with tens of thousands of dollars!

Anyway, just wanted to share!

2. orangepeel macrumors member

Can you elaborate further on how you got them to exchange it for 2011 model?

I bought my top of the line 17" i7 2.8ghz back in mid november. I would love to exchange it for the 2011 model. I don't want to start yelling at the guy, act rude, etc... If I can get an exchange the nice way, Ill give it a go, if not I'll pass.

I know tech evolves, but when my top of the line $2750 17"mbp geekbench score is lower than the low end 13" $1200 model, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Chart for reference:
    [​IMG]

3. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

I was extremely curitious. I was not rude in any fashion. I explained that my boss was unhappy because we felt duped - at the time of the original purchase I explained that I had heard a new MBP would be released early 2011, and was thinking of holding off until then. The Apple rep pressured me into purchasing the 20101 model, saying the new one coming out in 2011 wouldn't be a big change.

That still wasn't good enough, though. The manager yesterday explained to me that 3 months is a lifetime in Tech, to which I agreed. But I held stead-fast and let it be known that a ~$700 hit to Apple on a MBP now (a guesstimate as to how much they will lose from reselling it as a refurb) could result in 10's of thousands shortly down the road if I (and my boss) are happy with the 2011 MBP laptops and decide to purchase more for the office.

The manager basically said "I'm going to allow this once, because I feel like we aren't getting anywhere, but know that this won't happen again. 3 months is simply too long."

YMMV.

Anyway, as stoked as I am about the exchange, the possible hacking/inside-job thievery that took place is far more fascinating to me!

4. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

The policy is 14 days. I bought my 2010 5 weeks ago and exchanged it for a 2011 on Friday. I basically told them I'm upset I bought my 2010 5 weeks before the 2011 release, and especially upset it's the same price.

NOT Apple's fault right? But they gave it to me.

Apple doesn't announce their release dates; that's their thing. I did the same thing as the OP, didn't take "no'' for an answer. "Can you see why I'm upset Sir?" "blah blah blah..."

I'm very pleased Apple understood why I was upset. However, what is the cutoff point then? The 14 days just seems like a formality. I would give it a shot.

Keep going at it with them and tell them your friends have gotten their 2010s exchanged.

5. premierjg macrumors member

I spoke to a manager of an Apple Store today who agreed to exchange my 2010 MBP which was bought on Dec 30. Only thing is that it was purchased at Best Buy and not the Apple store (they were closed).

Anyone think this will be a problem?

6. eaf7s macrumors regular

I really don't understand why more people aren't confused about/interested in the twist.

We all know that if you stomp foot/pout lip at Apple (especially the managers) long enough they tend to give you what you want rather than deal with the hassle of talking to you any longer.

7. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Yes, I'd bet it will be. The Apple Store is a separate retail division of Apple. I seriously doubt they will exchange your Best Buy purchased laptop. Try it, but good luck.

Am I the only one that things people who are 60+ days out of their purchase are just insane for expecting an exchange? Even more than 14 days out expecting the new model is a bit arrogant, isn't it? What other industry allows you to exchange something you used for a month just because a new model was released? I'm going to try taking back my shoes I've worn and see if I can get the new pair...

At least people buying your returns as refurbs can be assured that their machine likely was working just fine when it was brought back to Apple.

8. Catholic13 macrumors newbie

You're a macrumors user... you knew an update was coming... you just got impatient.

9. orangepeel macrumors member

Thanks for the info, enklined. I doubt they will do an exchange for me, I don't have the leverage (business account) you had, not to mention mine was bought a month earlier.

10. 87am macrumors regular

Apple stores will in no way accept an exchange from a product not sold from another apple store or the online store. Numerous people have confirmed in other threads that the stores seem to be giving a 30 day cut off on exchanges because of the update.

11. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

interesting. the conversation with the manager is a little too much for me. but glad it worked out for you.

i am sort of in the same boat as everyone else who bought their mid2010 mbp a month or two before this recent refresh.

my mid2010 mbp i7 2.6 w/ hi-res glossy and 7200rpm 500gb hdd was purchased online at the apple store during the black friday deal of '10. this puts it well over 2 months old.

do you guys think i have a chance of returning it to an apple store and going away with a 2011 model?

12. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

just called one of the apple stores in nyc to inquire about a possible exchange of my suddenly ancient mid-2010 mbp and the nice lady on the phone said 2 months is just way too long for a model exchange. i then inquired if i could speak to a manager and she said that managers don't talk on the phones. i would have to physically visit the store to see and speak to the manager, which she freely invited me to, but warned that my luck would be similar.

hey, i tried.

13. Awjvail macrumors 6502

What kind of business are the running where the managers refuse to talk to a customer on the phone?

14. Grouchy Bob, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011

Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Wow. Just wow.

So do all of you kiddies just throw tantrums and expect to have your old goods replaced with each refresh? Goods which are clearly so old they are beyond any obligation by Apple?

It's no freaking wonder the "Apple Tax" on all their products is what it is.

Besides, half of you here are MR members. Why did you buy so close to the next cycle anyway?

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu and a printed copy of this thread in hand. Gonna trade "straight up" on a new model.

Wish me luck!

Nope. But sanity is relative these days. I suspect we're in the minority.

15. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

@awjavil

not sure. after she said that i was basically way outside the return window, which she reiterated as only 14 days, i asked if i could have better luck telling my story to a manager and she said that i would need to visit the store since managers don't typically speak on the phone. i understood that in a way.

i included stories from forum members here about returning their 2 month old mbp's for the new models and thought i would try too and her response was kind of amusing telling a "vacation analogy" and i just nodded because it wasn't really what i wanted to hear. i didn't really push any further than that. to either, insist for a manager on the phone or tell my lame story any further. i could have cried about spending over $2500 2 months ago for a computer that a $1200 13" mbp now can beat in cpu test. but, i digressed.

c'est la vie as the french say.

oh, well.

16. 87am macrumors regular

A very busy and successful one!

17. orangepeel macrumors member

Who threw a tantrum? Other then you of course.

The apple rep lied about the next update not being big to the OP. He has a legitimate grievance, IMO he deserved to get the replacement. Apple has been known to pull this shady used car salesmen BS before, and they need to end it.

18. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i agree with you totally. but, i figured that it didn't hurt to try calling one of the apple stores, either, just to see what they would say. i think going to the store would be too much a hassle for me to try to wiggle an exchange for a 2 month old computer without seeming like a dick or arrogant. but, behind the phone, i felt ok to try. lol.

19. 87am macrumors regular

What update is not "big" when it happens? And I'd have to say that the Apple does not resemble used car salesmen in the slightest. Think about it.

20. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I am shocked at some of the posts here wanting a new MBP because they bought one months ago and feel cheated. Are you serious??

One poster said they bought their MBP in November and they want a swap from Apple? The other was complaining about a MBP they bought two months ago and they want a swap...

What kind of entitlement and handouts do you expect in life??

-P

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I blame the managers who have no backbone and just cave to get the customer to go away (like the manager who talked with the OP). They encourage that kind of behavior. Which of course makes it harder for the associates and managers who do have a backbone and actually uphold the reasonable return policy (I think it would have been perfectly reasonable for the manager to say 2-3 months was way too long of a period to return the computer). Sure, he said only this time, but all the customer learns is whine enough (and even worse in some cases, be belligerent enough) and he gets his way.

I mean I do agree with the salespeople have to be reasonable, but sorry, returning your old computer that is three months old cause the new one came out, that is blatantly abusing the system.

22. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

The OP said:

The Apple rep pressured me into purchasing the 20101 model,

OMG! Those mean Apple employees! Taking advantage of informed buyers who have been MR members for years.

Not to mention Apple employees know less than we do.

LOL!

And when spending this kind of money (especially if it isn't yours), the buying public needs to recognize BS when they hear it.

23. orangepeel macrumors member

A 2x increase in performance IS a big update, that doesn't even matter because the apple rep had no idea what the refresh was going to be at the time. He simply flat out lied. So yeah, used car salesmen shady. Think about it, chum.:rolleyes:

For the record, I never called apple about an exchange. I asked how he got it, I wasn't sure if they had an upgrade program, or other ways to upgrade. Some people need to seriously learn how to read.

24. orangepeel macrumors member

I'd say flat out lying, is taking advantage. But carry on, I find your posts highly amusing.:)

25. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

Eh, this thread was intended to be less about how/why I got an exchange, and more about how Apple is getting ripped off, and possibly HACKED.

Is no one interested by this?

Everyone and bitch back and forth. I see both points - nearly 3 months for an exchange is RIDICULOUS. At the same time, the 2010 MBP underperformed and I was left feeling swindled slightly by the employee. Yes, I'm a MR member, and yet, from what I read, none of the rumors said anything about the MBP going quad-core. Had this been speculated (or, had I READ that was the case) I would have held off. My MR "insight" combined with the Apple employee telling me to get the 2010 because the 2011 model won't be much different led me to make the purchase.

I will not defend myself any further.

Hacks, anyone?