My only SL issue BATTERY!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macnfab, Sep 3, 2009.

1. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

My battery is... screwed.. Anyone know anything? Will apple be fixing this in 10.6.1? It's driving me nuts.. I am a full time student, lots of research/papers to write.. My MacBook is only 8 months old, my battery was perfect before the update. My other issues have been minor, and I have been able to fix them all.

Do you know any tricks? or apps that will make it last longer?

2. PUTALE macrumors member

The battery issue seems to be related to the heat issue in my opinion. If you look around or the forum and you will find that a lot of people are reporting that SL is getting hotter and in consequences I think resuliting a shorter battery life. I think SL does not fully use the intel cpu's speedstep and as a result the cpu is always running at 100%.

it could also be ralted to this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=772837
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2133567&start=15&tstart=0

3. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

crossing my fingers for a quick fix from apple. Mine seems a bit better than yesterday (day of SL install) but still around half of what it was before upgrade.

4. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

Check for any runaway processes using up huge percentages of the CPU when idle in Activity Monitor. This is the most likely cause of high heat and low battery life. When idle, no process should be continuously using much more than about 5-10% CPU power, certainly not for a very extended period of time.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

+1 on the suggestion to see if there's an application running in the background. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong in SL - I just got a tad over 7 hrs on my 17" UB the other day (there was some idle time in there, for sure, otherwise I was probably here using Forum Spy and some Pages work).

6. drewcosten macrumors member

drewcosten

I used to get about 4.5 hours of battery life on my white MacBook (the model that was released about a week after Leopard came out in 2007). After installing Snow Leopard I get 2.5 hours at most, but only about an hour if I'm watching video. Extremely annoying.

7. farhad.khan macrumors newbie

Same problem as drewcosten.

I used to get around 4.5 hours on my 15" mbp with leopard. Yesterday the first time I took it to a business meeting after the snow leopard upgrade, confident that the battery will last for 3 hours at least, it died in 2 hours. What an embarrassment!!

I'll stay tuned to this and other threads related to this battery issue.

8. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I'm having the same issue. It has to be the fact it is running (noticeably) hotter.

We can only hope for a fix in 10.6.1

9. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I also have taken a hit in battery life. Part of me wonders if there is a way to recalibrate the battery in the thought that snow leopard may have a uniform battery management file which does not work proper on some macs.

10. djellison macrumors 68020

Machine is noticeably hotter with SL. Battery life is MASSIVELY reduced.