My opinion on the Hi-Res screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibizarocks, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ibizarocks macrumors regular

Hey guys, I've read a lot on here about the hi-res screen option and some people put a lot of doubt in my head saying the fonts appear too small etc. Well my new hi res glossy i7 popped through the door this morning and after a days use I can honestly tell you that it is completely blown out of proportion.

The fonts are easily readable and I have had no eye strain whatsoever. I'm -4.5 in both eyes and wear glasses so there's an extra material before my eyes and the screen and it's completely fine.

The difference between the 1440x900 and this isn't even that much as well. I actually had to check to see if they had put the hi-res screen in when I first turned it on as I couldn't see much difference at first!!

To all those sitting on the fence it's only £100 extra and it makes a huge difference in a positive way!!!

I hope this helps some people make their decision.

2. magbarn macrumors 68000

Hear! Hear! If the hi-rez glossy screen doesn't bother you, then IMHO it's superior to the matte screen. I think we're in the "silent majority" however...

3. Spandexman macrumors regular

So, you couldn't tell the difference, but it's definitely worth the extra £100?

4. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

He's talking about the font size difference, not the screen real-estate.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

WELL YOUR OPINION IS JUST FLAT OUT WRONG AND HERES WHY....:mad:

Oh wait....ummmm.....I agree with you. Heh.

:rolleyes:

Never mind. Carry on.

6. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

@ c64 alright smart arse

I said i couldn't at first but if I put it next to my penryn macbook pro the difference is definitely noticeable! everything looks much more crisp.

7. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

I like mine too, no blur or anything.
    Was watching movie yesterday and the black is more black than my previous MBP 2008. I wonder when people will do some color calibration for these screens :) so far so good but you never know if we can pimp it up even better

8. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

I just think in general some people fear monger on here and others try to justify their purchases by getting others to agree with them. Everyone should just go with what they think. It's a mac, you won't be disappointed!!

9. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Hey, I was defending your position ;)

10. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

my bad!!! ;)

11. Spandexman macrumors regular

:D Don't worry, just struck me as a strange statement. I ordered the exact same machine as you (15" i7 high res glossy with 7200 RPM HDD), so glad to hear it's good.

12. Jof macrumors regular

I have a new matte hi-res 15" next to my old glossy low-res 15" and the matte one 0wnz. I did good. Happy :)

PS, love my new i5... A lot of subtle improvements over my 1st gen unibody. Plus, it's lighter thanks to the lack of glass! Win!

13. OnAirNow macrumors newbie

@ Jof

I know there's been a few comparison photos on other threads...but if you're able to I would love to see your 15" machines side by side

:eek:

14. mac*chick macrumors member

Thanks for the post. I ordered the high res anti glare and was not able to see any of the new models in the store I ordered from as it's an Apple reseller store. I just knew I wanted anti glare and hope I will like it. I realize you are talking about the glossy but I too have read the high res is hard to read which makes me a little worried.

15. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

http://gallery.me.com/mattzarandi/100016/Comparison

here's a comparison of my old machine and the new one. you can see the glossy gives much more vibrant colours.

I'm a graphic designer by the way and I know people instantly go on about colour reproduction once printed but any REAL print designer always uses a pantone book anyway as I did on my old matte. You can't trust a screen especially when using special inks!

16. ibizarocks thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

here's a comparison of my old machine and the new one. you can see the glossy gives much more vibrant colours.

I'm a graphic designer by the way and I know people instantly go on about colour reproduction once printed but any REAL print designer always uses a pantone book anyway as I did on my old matte. You can't trust a screen especially when using special inks!

17. steveLONDON macrumors regular

I got the HR anti-glare and I love it. I always thought the fonts on my old PB were way too big and too up a ridiculous amount of screen real estate.

Anyone with the HR display, check out this video on Vimeo, with HD on, and tell me it isn't gorgeous:

http://vimeo.com/hd#10819887

18. a4209797 macrumors member

how is the screen relestate for side by side apps? i'm trying to decide if I can watch a movie and browse the web at the same time.

ty

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The old one looks washed out and the new one looks over saturated.

20. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yay for TN screens...always turdish no matter how you spin them

21. GeorgeCWB macrumors member

Aren't those different backgrounds altogether? lol, or is it just me?

22. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Leopard vs. Snow Leopard

23. mainemanx macrumors newbie

Love my i7 15" HiRes Matte...

One suggestion, select: Finder > View > Show View Options... to change Finder Window font sizes, etc.

IMO, small price to pay for an absolutely fabulous, highly detailed display :)

24. OnAirNow macrumors newbie

@mainemanx

Will that change all the default sizes of menu bars etc? I've never tried, but thought I had read somewhere on the forums that such a 'tweak' wasnt possible?

Maybe you could post a couple of pics of default hi res menu sizes vs adjusted? I'll head back to the nearest :apple: store over the next few weeks to see it in person, but as its 70 odd miles away it's a bit of a pain to get there regularly!

:)

25. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

You won't be disappointed, nothing to worry about