My OS X 10.6 "cat name here" predections

Discussion in 'macOS' started by officerdick, Apr 9, 2008.

1. officerdick macrumors regular

Mac OS X 10.6 will have two new major features, the first is Multi-Touch. Mr. Gates and his noble companions plan to release Widnows 7 soon. One of Windows 7's major features will be multi-touch support. Therefore i predict that Apple takes what it knows from the iPhone OS MultiTouch integration and implement it in it's desktop enviroment, accompanied by "hybrid" multi touch notebooks, that feature classic input methods, and "minority report" like input methods, most possibly they will launch an iWhiteBoard, to rival Microsofts Surface. The seccond feature is enterprise centered features, just as we see on the iPhone. Easy administration for IT-Departments, remote configureation, remote swiping, exchange support, basicly an iTunes for the organisations Mac's and PC's. Easy bonjour, and jabber servers for video conferecing, "iTunes" for the companies documents with version handling, mabey WINE-like integration to support CAD programs that are not ported to the Mac. Some of these features will be in OS X Server only. These are of course just my predictions, i belive 10.6 will be an attractive upgrade for consumers, and very attractive for enterprises.

officerdick over and out.

2. joefinan macrumors 6502a

3. bravocharlie macrumors newbie

If lynx is too close to linux, I am going with cougar.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

OS X I made you a cookie but I eated it edition.

7. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

That's what I was thinking. If they stay on those lines, I'd go with Cougar.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

LOLcats aside

i think it will be "Lion" and its name will be announced at WWDC08 just like Leopard was announced at WWDC05.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That, but there'll be a beta too.

10. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

It'll be christened Cougar as a nod to its sexy maturity.

11. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

He will call it lion so he can play on the C.S. Lewis books - Apple = Lion, Msft. = Witch and the Wardrobe will be the hardware...;)

12. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

13. officerdick thread starter macrumors regular

this is getting off topic, the thread isn't really about what it's gonna be called, but more about what it would contain, though most of your name suggestions seem reasonable.

14. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

15. darthvedder81 macrumors newbie

16. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Who knows i don't have a crystal ball,do you? i still stand by the name OS 11 Lion though

17. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

18. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

Cougar. Pretty cool sounding tho almost too butch for an operating system

19. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I thought multi-touch was a hardware issue? If so, how could they roll it out as part of a new software OS version? :confused:

OS 10.6 name == It'll probably be either Lynx or Cougar, as both have already been registered by :apple:. My vote would be for Lion, however! :D

20. G4DP macrumors 65816

21. wilfried macrumors member

OS X American Domestic Shorthair
    OS X Gray Tabby

22. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

[1] New default Filing System (argue about what we'll get, Sun's ZFS keeps getting mentioned). HFS+ will more than likely be phased out, starting with 10.6.

[2] New UI. Apple has lots of UI ideas at the moment, sweeping changes will be made in this release, as opposed to the halfway house we got with Leopard. At the moment, Leopard's “unified” UI includes bits of grey, bits of aqua, bits of black and a few iTunes style scroll bars chucked in for good measure. Whatever that is, it isn't unified. It bothers me and I bet it bothers Steve.

[3] **Hopefully** better/automatic management of runaway processes (i.e. those hogging 90-100% of CPU), this is especially important for notebooks with battery life to consider.

[4] Quicktime 8. Although I expect it may arrive before then.

[5] Improvements to the Finder so it plays nicer with others — i.e. not dumping DS_Store files and cover-flow cache files on Win/Linux shares. They don't need to see them Apple!

My bet is Apple move away from cat names, but if they keep with the same formula, then Ocelot is my bet. Although Lion is a good call. I bet a lot of people don't know what an Ocelot is.