My "Other" files are 10 GB??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lumpy05, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Lumpy05 macrumors member

I love my ipad but find that even though I bought the MAXI pad, 64 GB / 3G I am now out of space. I understand some of what is in the other category, OS, album covers. What else is there that is taking all my space? I've deleted a ton of apps, down to less than 4 GB. Any other space saving ideas? Any ideas on how to see what is taking so much space?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I believe "other" is data used/stored by apps such as VLC for example.

3. Lumpy05 thread starter macrumors member

I do have VLC but no files on ipad right now. That's my frustration, I want to manage the space and cant because I dont know what to delete to free up the space. I think iWork documents are under that category as well, I deleted them all. What else is there, I must be missing something BIG :confused:

4. b.c. macrumors 6502

the "Other" category seems go grow significantly over time, and is not necessarily files stored by other apps, some say it's corrupted data. But it can be eliminated by doing a restore.

for example, my iPad and iPhone both had several GBytes of "Other" data on them. Both are non-jailbroken, BTW. with the release of iOS 4.2 I took the opportunity to do a restore from backup after I did the original update.

the "Other" category on both iPhone and iPad is now down to a couple hundred Kbytes, whereas all my other regular data is still there.

I'm convinced there a bug in iTunes or iOS that didn't let this cruft get cleared out during normal sync. I'm curious whether this behavior changes now with iTunes 10 and iOS 4...

5. iPagan macrumors regular

That cracked me up ! :D. Do you have plans to change to tampons? :D

6. Lumpy05 thread starter macrumors member

I might plan to change if I cant fix this thing :)

I didnt coin the term, a buddy of mine had his ipad first and when I asked his thoughts on which to get he stated you have got to go for the MAXI pad :D

7. Lumpy05 thread starter macrumors member

THANKS FOR THE RESTORE TIP! After a restore from my most recent backup after iOS update I'm down to .76 GB of "Other" files and I my ipad is now carrying around 2255 additional music files!

8. b.c. macrumors 6502

you're welcome, glad it worked for you too.

it's first time I've done a restore from backup on my iPad and probably a year since on my iPhone so it's great to unload that useless dead weight in "Other".

9. chrisk1250 macrumors member

When you download an app you're downloading an image of that app. The old image I believe gets put in 'other'. When you sync your iDevice check the trash: you'll see old app files.

10. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

What does the "Other" look like after a full reboot and resync?

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Settings, saved games, cached pages, saved files, app data. Lots of stuff under "other"