My PB has finally died - what do I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joefinan, Feb 2, 2008.

1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

My PowerBook has had a dodgy screen for a while but, last night, it went black and I can't get it back. So what do I do?

A) Get it repaired spending a load of money on a 3yr old mac I was looking to replace anyway

B) Buy a new MBP only for them to bring out a new one

C) Wait for them to bring out the new MBP which could be weeks or even months

Help!

And if anyone is wondering, I'm on my Touch...!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

A) It might just be a bad inverter board. Not too difficult a repair (depending on which model PB), if you're comfortable working on that sort of equipment.

B) Buy a new MBP and not worry about the next model. There will always be a next model. Buy the highest end machine you can afford, IMHO (the non-upgradable parts like CPU and VRAM).

C) see B ;)

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Personally, I'd sell the Powerbook (bad screen and all) and buy a refurbished Macbook (Pro if desired) with the cash and a little extra.

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I totally agree with you. I'm intending to keep my MBP for 4-5 years and have just ordered 4GB RAM from Crucial.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Blessed is the man whose PB died just two weeks before an update :)

6. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you think I should wait? Go without a computer because the update is imminent?

I agree!

I just hope that, when they announce new MBPs they don't also announce 'available in 3-4 weeks' like they did with the Air...

7. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Well, if you don't do a lot of computing while away from home or office, then you could just plug the pb into an external monitor. If you want to play the waiting game for a few weeks to see if new models come out, then this could tide you over until then.