My PB has finally died - what do I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joefinan, Feb 2, 2008.

  1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

    Sep 14, 2007
    Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
    My PowerBook has had a dodgy screen for a while but, last night, it went black and I can't get it back. So what do I do?

    A) Get it repaired spending a load of money on a 3yr old mac I was looking to replace anyway

    B) Buy a new MBP only for them to bring out a new one

    C) Wait for them to bring out the new MBP which could be weeks or even months


    And if anyone is wondering, I'm on my Touch...!
  2. gr8tfly macrumors 603


    Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    A) It might just be a bad inverter board. Not too difficult a repair (depending on which model PB), if you're comfortable working on that sort of equipment.

    B) Buy a new MBP and not worry about the next model. There will always be a next model. Buy the highest end machine you can afford, IMHO (the non-upgradable parts like CPU and VRAM).

    C) see B ;)
  3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Dec 6, 2007
    Personally, I'd sell the Powerbook (bad screen and all) and buy a refurbished Macbook (Pro if desired) with the cash and a little extra.
  4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816


    Aug 5, 2007
    I totally agree with you. I'm intending to keep my MBP for 4-5 years and have just ordered 4GB RAM from Crucial.
  5. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Blessed is the man whose PB died just two weeks before an update :)
  6. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Sep 14, 2007
    Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
    So you think I should wait? Go without a computer because the update is imminent?

    I agree!

    I just hope that, when they announce new MBPs they don't also announce 'available in 3-4 weeks' like they did with the Air...
  7. motulist macrumors 601


    Dec 2, 2003
    Well, if you don't do a lot of computing while away from home or office, then you could just plug the pb into an external monitor. If you want to play the waiting game for a few weeks to see if new models come out, then this could tide you over until then.

Share This Page