My pet peeve: The curves on the folder

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by JohnnyW2001, Aug 8, 2013.

1. JohnnyW2001, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

JohnnyW2001 macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

Now that 95% of all the bugs are gone (hurrah -- nice job, Apple) it's nice to be able to focus on the little details, and one thing that's bugged me from the very beginning is the corners on the zoomed in folder. There's something not quite right about them, if you ask me, and it irks every time I open one up.

Is it just me?

[​IMG]

Don't these corners look better?

[​IMG]

EDIT: Lol. I guess it's a subtle difference:

[​IMG]

2. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

The folder shape seems to be exactly like app icon shapes,,,,so its consistent at least! I like them actually, what peeves you off so much?

3. Skika macrumors 68030

4. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

The shape of the folder matches new shape of the homescreen (and 3rd party) icons. They rounded the corners of the icons more, in case you didn't notice that.

5. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

You got me there!! Been stairing on both to find the difference :)

If anything, I would like them bigger, to utilise at least the half bottom of the screen.

6. JohnnyW2001 thread starter macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

Hehe. I've added an ani gif to help show there I'm looking :p

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

VERY subtle!

8. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I noticed this too. I don't see much of a way to remedy it. The folder needs to be the same shape as the app icons, but when it is blown up, the corners of the apps and the folder don't match up. The only way to change it would be so that the folder icon changes its form when you open it, which would bring it's own inconsistencies.

I run into this when working with strokes because when you apply a stroke, you create a new shape that actually isn't identical to the shape that you're applying a stroke to. If anyone's interested, I made a little illustration on why the app icon corners and the folder corners look inconsistent when inside a folder, even when they're both the same shape.

[​IMG]

9. JayJayAbels macrumors 6502

JayJayAbels

10. JohnnyW2001 thread starter macrumors regular

JohnnyW2001

Nicely illustrated. I wish Apple would do something about it.

11. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Do what, change the shapes?? then we will have another thread saying "I found that the shapes are not even..."

12. nikicampos, Aug 8, 2013

nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Don't get me wrong buddy, but your example is not right, and actually, OP even made the corners more square which makes it look weird, Apple doesn't need to fix anything about that.

13. ominx macrumors 6502

I think the folder shape is correct. But one thing I noticed right away was the icon spacing looks off. Of course it's a minute detail that is barely noticeable so I really don't care that much.
    Folder_Icon_Spacing.jpg

14. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Designers albeit digital or fabric etc can't appease everyone's taste.. The designers gotta appease the creations to their eye and their bosses.. :rolleyes: :eek:

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Good grief what will people come up with next? A certain shade of blue isn't the right shade? :rolleyes:

16. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

I did the exact same thing, and even that the folder icon and the app icon are not the same shape, what they did was to have the same distance from the edge of the folder to the app icon vertical, horizontal and diagonal.

I use a black app icon to see better.

Attached Files:

17. ominx macrumors 6502

Yea but don't you think they could resize the folder or shift the icons so that the spacing between each icon is the same as the spacing from the icon to the folder's edge?

18. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

This is great news. When people start arguing which variety of identical folder they prefer, then iOS 7 must have no real issues left to discuss.

19. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

I did notice that, and yes, they could've done that, so that everywhere is the same space, maybe it's not final, perhaps they haven't decided if they will put 4 icons instead of 3, I guess will find out soon.

----------

It's not about that, some here, including myself, are perfectionist, so yeah, if an edge is not right, or something seems out of place it can be discussed.

Actually in iOS 5 or iOS 6 (A final version or a public update) an app icon was not centered, and it was a big deal for Apple.

And also, some people have commented in the Calendar.app not being centered in previous betas of iOS 7.

20. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Actually, my example is the reverse of the OP. My reference was the outer shape. In the OP, the reference was the inner shape (app icons). Same exact idea though.

21. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

LOL. I was just thinking that! :D

22. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

24. nikicampos, Aug 8, 2013

nikicampos macrumors 6502a

Like I said, your example isn't right, all the things you said are correct, but it's not the right example, one thing is to put a smaller centered same shape icon inside another and yes, the corners are going to have a bigger separation than from the horizontal and vertical edges (your example), and another thing is to put three smaller icons inside a big one the same shape, it's the opposite effect.

When you bring that small icon to the corner, it will have less space in the corner than the horizontal and vertical edges, that's why the folder shape is way more cornered that the app icon, and what you suggested with your example was that it has to be rounder.

And that's why, the folder's shape is not as round as the icon app shape.

Hope I made myself clear.

Attached Files:

25. ominx, Aug 8, 2013

ominx macrumors 6502

I won't post links showing Apple's obsession to detail, but we all know it's there... or was.

Certain details such as this catch the eye of people that have been trained to see them. Others may find them inconsequential, but when inconsistencies start adding up it can become a mess.

Anyway, I quickly repositioned the icons within a folder to be evenly spaced. Yes it's subtle and my 70 year old father certainly wouldn't notice, but for those that do, I would think they would appreciate it.

ios7-folders_even_sheet.jpg