My plan for buying a macbook. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Warranty Voider, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Ok... My plan is to buy a macbook (before september 15), sell the ipod, leave the macbook box unopened. Then, I would return the macbook to apple (after they announce the new macbooks) and then buy a new macbook. Would this work? When I returned the unopened macbook, would Apple also ask for the ipod touch back?

PS: I know there are a hundred million threads about the new macbooks, but I didn't see one like this.

-Jordan

2. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

Good luck on that. The touch is a rebate that will be taken off when you buy it. If you return the macbook, they will take back the rebate and give you the difference.

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Very true. You wouldn't be the only one to think that. They got some smart people at Apple and they know the little tricks people try to pull. Well most of them.

4. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

why not buy both and keep both? they're both awesome and worth the $.

or, sell the pod on ebay and keep the computer.

5. jokun macrumors member

I plan on buying the macbook, printer, touch, and adobe CS3. I'd love to wait and see what happens, but I'd be really pissed at myself if new ipods/lower priced touches were released and I wasn't able to get as much for the touch when I sold it.

6. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

7. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Don't you need to cut the UPC off the box in order to get the rebate for the iPod? They'd probably notice that...

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You would lose the rebate on the iPod if you were to return the MacBook. If your concern is the MacBook getting updated, then I would say to wait on the purchase, as it is highly likely that both will be updated in September, and thus your plan would probably be foiled on both parts (the MacBook and the iPod).

9. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Not if you buy it directly from Apple.

10. Nieval macrumors 6502

How about this instead: BestBuy are offering free MobileMe and iWork 08 with any Apple computer purchase in the form of an instant $180 cash back. According to the apple employee there you're free to return the purchase anytime within the 14 day return period and still get to keep the software seeing as "they don't accept opened software".
    I had originally planned to do the same thing as you and pay the stocking fee, but ethically couldn't bring myself to open the software. Should i return the laptop im going to give back the software too or just pay for it.

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

12. Warranty Voider thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you sure that they wouldn't just make you pay them back 180 dollars? Also, how much is the restocking fee?

-Jordan

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Yeah I'm sure that big corporation didn't think of that and will allow people to rip them off. (Sarcasm inserted)

14. Nieval macrumors 6502

I'm quoting the apple employee i spoke with, not stating what i personally believe. If you have a bestbuy nearby i suggest you ask them, you know, indirectly, should you decide to try this out. Given that there's no way you can pull off the iPod touch heist, i wanted to let you know that there might be an alternative. I'll be returning my laptop in two days and i'll let you know what happens then.

The restocking fee is 15% but you only pay if you open the boxing.

15. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Actually the big corporation is a help, since they dont think of these things and people get over on them all the time, especially if you returned them with no paperwork and would be happy with a store credit.

16. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Go ahead and try it. You might comeback and say it worked, but I highly doubt that would be true. It won't work.

17. Warranty Voider thread starter macrumors 6502

I am going to try it, but I'm just afraid that I'm going to be stuck paying $180 which would suck :mad:

18. Mac-Lady macrumors member

It would seem strange to return an unopened computer and then say well I opened the 2 free programs that came with it.

19. Nieval macrumors 6502

Check man, i'm returning the laptop in two days max and i'll let you know how things turn out. I was actually interested in subscribing to MobileMe (that's why i opted for BB offer rather than Apple). As for lying about it just to say i was right, I'd like to think i'm a better man than that and offended you'd even bring something like that up.

20. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

21. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You shouldn't be offended. You don't even know me. I guess I'm strange. I have no respect for people who try to find ways to scam others.

22. Warranty Voider thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so you did buy a laptop, keep it unopened? Let me know how it goes as soon as you can because the promotion ends in 2 days. :(

-Jordan

23. Nieval macrumors 6502

I forgot that the promotion ends in two days, in which case i'll try to go tomorrow if i find time. I still think you should call and just ask upfront, you've got nothing to lose.

Fair enough Hogfaninga - ordinarily calling or implying people are liars is a serious accusation and i've seen friends lose eachother over such things, let alone accepting it from strangers. Just to clarify any misconception tho, i never said i was going to scam BB, go back and read the post. I don't agree with it but i won't demean those who will, its a free country and everyone is entitled to their opinions and choices. I've experienced firsthand companies screwing weaker groups and for all their lawyers and strategies, if they leave a loophole i do expect people to take advantage, its just how the system works and believe me they'd do the same if they found a chance.

Ofcourse, you were just letting us know your opinion and i respect that, truly, up until the lying part that is, and now i'm asking myself why you'd even think like that..

24. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

are we talking best buy promotion ending in two days? cause the back to school promo ends september 15th.

25. Warranty Voider thread starter macrumors 6502

I went to Best Buy and asked them today and it sounded like it would work, so I think I'll try it after I here if it worked for you or not.

Yes, we are indeed talking about the Best Buy promotion.