My post disappeared... why?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by inkswamp, Jun 18, 2007.

1. inkswamp macrumors 68030

inkswamp

I realize that the Macrumors moderators will remove posts that are inappropriate (which is fine) but I'm sort of curious about the specifics of how this is done.

Earlier today, I responded to someone in a discussion and my post is now gone. I don't think it was particularly inappropriate. The original poster made some disparaging comments about Apple and their products and how they were going down--sort of the doom-n-gloom stuff from the 90s. My response was a tongue-in-cheek "You forgot the part where the sky falls." That post is now gone.

I realize that it could be taken, in a very roundabout way, as a personal attack, although I think it's pretty clear that I'm just responding to the over-the-top negativity.

Then it occurred to me that the OP might have been a troll and his post being removed may have triggered the removal of all responses to it. I searched the thread for his post and it appears to be gone now too.

Any mods want to clarify this for me? Is that how it works? Did my post go away with his or did I cross the line somehow with a Chicken Little reference? :D

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I don't know the specifics of this siutation... but if the original post was deleted , responses are also cleaned up as it otherwise makes it hard to follow.

esp if the discussion was off topic in a main story news article.

arn

3. inkswamp thread starter macrumors 68030

inkswamp

Thanks. I don't particularly care that the post is gone, but I've been a MacRumors reader for several years and I've always tried to follow the posting guidelines. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't causing trouble without knowing it.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Now there's a good MR poster.:)

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We prefer to answer these questions about moderation by Private Message, but since you asked in public I'll reply in public. Your post in the 20" and 24" iMacs Due Mid-to-Late Summer thread was off-topic and produced further off-topic posts. Your post and half a dozen others were removed to get the thread back on topic.

6. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Mine sometimes gets deleted too. I wish you could get an email notification when that happens.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They do try, but it is a lot of work for the moderators ;).