My Predictions for next iPhone (hardware)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sheardude, Jan 11, 2009.

1. sheardude macrumors member

These are my predictions for the next generation of iPhone hardware which will probably hit this summer. Original adopters who have stuck with the first iPhone will see their contract expire so Apple is likely to have something that is more of an upgrade than iPhone 3G. Software predictions can be found on this link http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322785

Very Likely:
    Multimedia Messaging
    New camera with at least 3-4 megapixels
    Flash (for camera)
    Camera will be able to record video which can be sent via email, Multimedia Messaging, or uploaded to YouTube (if true YouTube app will be revamped)
    Nike + iPod support (just like iPod Touch)
    New powerful engine (either Intel Atom, ARM Cortex A9 or something else)
    Same battery life as previous models
    Will be just as thick or a tiny bit thicker than iPhone 3G
    Under $500
    Will be announced May or June 2009
    Will launch in early summer 2009

Unlikely:
    Sliding Qwerty keyboard sold separately as an accessory for at least $50 (will work with older iPhone models)
    Apple will allow developers to make 3rd party accessories to attach to the iPhone for use with specific apps
    Wi-Fi will support Wireless N network
    Will have model bigger than 16GB
    Higher resolution screen
    Longer battery life than previous models

Very Unlikely:
    Larger screen
    A second camera on the front just like the one on the back to be used for video conferencing via Wi-Fi or 3G
    Video Conferencing app will be called iChat and will use special effects just like iChat on the Mac
    Video conferencing app will let you chat with friends who are using iChat on their Macs

Remember that this is just my opinion and not fact. If u would like to give me feedback or add to this list please do. Lets hope whatever the third generation of iPhone hardware may be, it is good b/c I plan on buying it b/c my contract expires when in the summer.

2. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

That would be going against the More Affordable goal set by Steve Jobs in WWDC.

3. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

That would be software, not hardware.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

First of all, the whole original adopters thing is a bunk idea. All of them were eligible for an iPhone 3G at the upgrade rate ($199, $299) in July 2008. I also don't think Apple is caring about the 10 million or so who have iPhones as much as the other billion cell phones out there that aren't iPhones.

Also, do you know the difference between hardware and software? MMS and video recording would only require a firmware update since jailbroken phones can already do that.

As far as the actual hardware, I think you're shooting a little high -- on price. $500? I would guarantee that Apple will have a $199 and $299 iPhone in July. They worked hard to get the price down that much because price was the top complaint. Apple won't screw the pooch by reversing course.

I think you're right about the camera being addressed. It hasn't been touched since day 1, so it's due for some work. The Nike+ thing makes sense, but I don't know how much of that whole deal is supposed to make sense. Why the plug-in device doesn't work on other iPods and iPhones is beyond me, so I'm hoping you're right. The unlikeliness of 802.11N support is probable since most hot spots use G, but at some point I think Apple will ditch G so some of us home users can ditch mixed mode (hey Nintendo, you can help us, too).

You had better move the storage bump (32GB) way up. People will scream bloody murder if Apple doesn't bump that up. If Apple didn't do that in the summer and waited until Jan. 2010, you're talking 2 years without a storage increase. That will NOT happen.

Everything else is pretty much VERY unlikely. The only one with a snowball's chance in hell soon is a larger screen, and I betcha a different, larger iPhone would be for that. It would probably be the tabletesque device and less of a phone. The iPhone footprint is pretty much what the old iPod was, and I don't see Apple getting too drastic with that without a really good reason.

5. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

They SHOULD improve on the battery life and I'm sorry to inform you that the 32 GB chips started production in Q1 of 2009.

6. gjw4u macrumors 6502

OP, larger memory is a given. Battery life might improve, if they adapt the same ones from the 17" MBP. iSight camera might be a go as videoconferencing is going mainline. And size ought NOT become larger!

7. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I've been waiting for you to join MacRumors and post this. Thanks!

8. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

If they put MacBook Pro batteries inside iPhones I predict a much larger size! :p

9. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

The OP's predictions are probably the most conservative predictions ever. Apple would love to be able to sell a slightly upgraded model for 3x the price of the current iPhone. Hopefully, the OP misunderestimated Apple by a long way :D

10. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Sorry, I meant the new custom-designed lithium-polymer type batteries, (not size) that come with the 17" MBP.

11. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I know, I was just joking :)

It would be cool but I'm not sure if it's possible... Then again, I dont know anything about batteries so it could very well be.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Anyone else notice in the video about the battery product from Apple that they said they were doing multiple forms pretty much? Since they're only producing them for 17 inch MBPs currently, that's either a roll out to other laptops, or laptops and also other devices. Can't see why they wouldn't take any battery improvement and see if it works in the iPod, iTouch, iPhone...

13. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Be nice if they converged all the texting into one app, like ichat. So all sms/aol/gtalk etc all in one like they are doing on the palm.

14. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i want to point out some of the stuff i put in bold. for the Likely section i agree with everything i put in bold, but in the Unlikely, i think that it should still have WiFi, and i think it's very possible to have a model higher than 16GB, and i think it's possible to have an iChat App standard HOWEVER i dont think that it would have a camera on the front side of the phone for video conferencing, i think it may be there just for IM purposes.

as with what you said, this is all opinion based.

15. chris1016 macrumors member

You have some great ideas, and I'd love to see them in iPhone 3.0!

One thing I would like though, a compass like in the T-Mobile G1. Use it as an API for developers; allow true Street View that turns when you turn; use it for turn-by-turn directions!

16. randomusername macrumors 6502

Very Likely:
    Multimedia Messaging
    Software, not hardware. There reason it's not there is because it would have to go through AT&T's MediaNet.
    New camera with at least 3-4 megapixels
    I can see that happening. 3.2 or 5 Megapixels is very likely seeing how outdated the camera is compared to every other other smart phone. You can say that 5 Megapixels wouldn't work with the phones thinness, but look at Samsung's Omnia.
    Flash (for camera)
    A flash is ugly, the iPhone is pretty. The iPhone doesn't want to be ugly. Not happening. Apple is all about the aesthetics.
    Camera will be able to record video which can be sent via email, Multimedia Messaging, or uploaded to YouTube (if true YouTube app will be revamped)
    Not happening, either. Sending a video over email would take up too much time and data unless it's a very short video. Uploading a video to YouTube directly from your phone isn't going to happen, as well. I doubt YouTube was people to fill YouTube with even MORE crappy, pointless, unedited videos from their phone.
    Nike + iPod support (just like iPod Touch)
    That is a possibility.
    New powerful engine (either Intel Atom, ARM Cortex A9 or something else)
    I can see the CPU getting a boost. It needs it after 2 years of the same thing.
    Same battery life as previous models
    Yes, because everyone loves the battery life right now. It better be improved or people will be pissed
    Will be just as thick or a tiny bit thicker than iPhone 3G
    Another possibility
    Under $500
    If you're talking about the unsubsidized price, it's a small possibility. But if you look at the HTC Touch Diamond, Blackberry Bold, and the current iPhone they are all above $500.
    Will be announced May or June 2009
    Obviously. Apple stated that the iPhone's new product cycle is in July.
    Will launch in early summer 2009

Unlikely:
    Sliding Qwerty keyboard sold separately as an accessory for at least $50 (will work with older iPhone models)
    How exactly can you make it an add-on? It would cover the camera and make the phone way too big. Apple would never do it. Even mentioning it is pointless.
    Apple will allow developers to make 3rd party accessories to attach to the iPhone for use with specific apps
    I can actually see Apple allowing this with the 3.0 launch. It would be a great feature to have add-ons that you could turn off in settings.
    Wi-Fi will support Wireless N network
    Agreed. Not going to happen.
    Will have model bigger than 16GB
    I don't see how you think this is unlikely. It's obvious that a 32GB version will be coming from now to July.
    Higher resolution screen
    Two years with the same screen resolution? I think it's time for an improvement
    Longer battery life than previous models
    Like I said. It better happen or people will be angry.

In the end, your list seems poorly planned and makes little sense. It's not really a prediction as much as it a list of what YOU want.

17. Aurial macrumors 6502

I don't know about a higher resolution, but I can see them switching to OLED.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Forget iPhone, think iHome

I will not predict for the iPhone directly, but instead here is what I think Apple should do for the home:

Take a page from HP's Touchsmart series, and make a kitchen touch computer / DVR / player. Use HP's (and Palm's) tile/card carousel concept, but have multiple mini-iPhone pages instead that you flip through onscreen.

Basically, have a touch home computer with little iPhone simulator widgets. This leverages the App Store, iTunes, you name it. (It's really too bad Apple didn't use a device-independent runtime like Java or MS's CLR.)

While you're at it, take a page from EyeFi and Microsoft Surface, and have the iPhone instantly sync pictures etc to this computer over WiFi when you come in range.

Apple could make as big a impact as the iPhone did.

Sorry for thread hijack.

19. firewood macrumors 604

The iPhone version after the next one will be the one with the powerful new CPU, not the next one. And it won't be Atom, or a generic A9. They've very likely got better stuff in the works.

MMS, never. Either AT&T, Apple or both, strongly do not want MMS in the future. You'll have to buy another phone if you want it. Same with Adobe Flash.

LED flash doesn't really work well, but it's a possibility.

Video, maybe. Steve used to think video was the killer app, especially if it tied strongly to iMovie, or other MacOS-only app.

20. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Not sure what AT&T have to do with the rest of the world

If they dont want things on the US market then fine, let the rest of us have it

21. camperdown9 macrumors regular

London, England & Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France
    Hi

I think we will get a 32GB version of the current 3G iphone in June or July 2009. Then a new iPhone in late November or early December.

I don't think we will see a new iPhone other than a 32GB version this summer. My reason for this is that if you look at the Apple website the current 3G iPhone is still coming soon to four countries.

If you bought a 3G iPhone when it went on sale on 11th July 08 then you will be due for an upgrade at the end of 2009. Apple will want to make sure that current iPhone users upgrade to the next iPhone when they can, rather than buy a Blackberry etc.

Alex

22. dave-dave macrumors newbie

I don't know about the battery and memory.
    From what I've seen Apple is now making batteries of their own?
    And memory is due to be increased. Why sell a new iphone with the old memory amounts?

23. Doju macrumors 68000

Are you kidding me? A 13" OLED is $2500. Even a 3.5" screen would cost hundreds upon hundreds of dollars. :confused:

24. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I stopped reading after this item.

25. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Those that know aren't talking, those who are talking (or starting threads likes this) don't know.