My Pure OpenSource Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Dec 2, 2007.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

So I decided to try something out; get what software I use the most and want, but get it free (Open Source rather). So here's what I've been doing; I've been searching for the most commonly used applications here on my Mac and getting rid of Apple's applications and replacing them with Open Source ones. Here's what I have installed on my system:

Firefox - Great web browser with expandability, functionality, stability, and security.
    Thunderbird - Great email client with the same, expandability, functionality, stability, and security. - Add Lightning if you want to combine Sunbird and Thunderbird.
    Sunbird - Another Mozilla utility that is a calendar client with; lots of features, expandability, and stability (how secure do you need a calendar to be?).
    OpenOffice.org - An Office Suite that uses X11 (they're working on an Aqua build) that lets you do Word Processing, Drawing, Presentations, Spreadsheets, and Databases. Very useful and free - great competitor to Microsoft Office.
    GIMP - A free alternative to Photoshop, uses X11 as well. Takes some time to get used to, but an awesome application none-the-less.
    InkScape - Vector graphics application like Adobe Illustrator that again takes some time to get used to, but how can you argue with free and open source.
    VLC - VideoLan Component is a great replacement for iTunes considering how many different file formats it will play.
    Adium - A free instant messenger client with many clients supported even MySpace.
    Q - A free x86 PC Emulator - on Intel Macs, it claims to run at near native speed - based off the popular QEMU Emulator.
    Aleph One - A free FPS put out by Bungie, according to the information I read it is now Open Source.
    Cube & Cube 2 - Another free FPS that is becoming popular and the engine has been used in a retail game.
    Aptana Studio - This may just complete the Ensemble for Open Source Apps. This program looks and feels like DreamWeaver without the WYSIWYG interface. It's a Web Development Application used to edit sites - NOT A WYSIWYG PROGRAM.
    Blender - Now this one has shocked me, its an Open Source GNU 3d Modeling application that has been used in famous 3D Movies (like Spider-man 2). - Requires Python 2.3 INCLUDED WITH BLENDER.
    Audacity - An application for Recording audio through Microphones, etc.
    Update
    Center Stage and Backstage - An open source alternative to Front Row. Hehe knew there was one I was missing..

Now a few free pieces of software that aren't open source:

Sketch-Up by Google
    Google Earth by Google

For those who have Tiger; here's some Open Source software for you:
    Virtue Desktops - Desktop management similar to Spaces. Since the release of Leopard it is no longer being developed.

Geeze what else can I offer you? I'm going to update this post when I find a suitable replacement for iPhoto, iTunes (Songbird doesn't work too well, they have a lot of bugs to work out), Garageband, iWeb, iMovie, and iDVD - but they have to be free or open source. Any comments or questions? Would you like me to make a blog and post tutorials on usage of any of these applications? Do you need links to get these apps?

Looking for links? :
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    Sunbird
    OpenOffice.org
    Q
    Center Stage
    VLC
    Adium
    Aleph One
    InkScape
    GIMP
    Aptana
    Blender
    Virtue Desktops
    Google SketchUp
    Google Earth
    Cube & Cube 2
    Audacity

2. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

So, why didn't you replace OS X with Linux or BSD? ;-) (what's the point of having a computer that's all open source except the OS?

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Brilliant post, I've pretty much done the same with free software, the only thing I'm missing is Gimp because last I checked it didn't work with Leopard.

Once that's sorted, i'll be in the same boat pretty much. :D

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Because it feels good. :)

Or at least I do...I'd use linux but the amount of hassle I've had with wireless drivers has put me off .

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Why use Linux when you can have a Mac? The reason being is cause I love Mac OS X and there's some programs that I use on here that I can't on Linux, and also yes the Wireless Driver is a hassle to deal with every time you boot up. There are some Open Source apps I've listed that aren't for Linux, but are for Mac OS X. Technically in the post I lied. I didn't get rid of OS X Applications, I just have started using the others. I knew the first post would be, why don't you just install Linux. That was running through my mind as I was typing this post.

EDIT: Gimp is working for me in Leopard, I have it right now. InkScape does take a minute to start up but I think that was just the initial start up considering it has to load and save a few settings first.

6. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

congrats. I don't really understand why but good luck none the less. In your post you said you installed these programs, but have you used them much? I've used most of them. While pretty remarkable for "free" applications, they sure do detract from the mac experience. In many cases they add a lot of functionality. Too bad we couldn't have the best of both worlds. Open source apps with mac-like interfaces and standards.

7. powz macrumors regular

Thanks for starting this thread. I think you guys should check out an excellent thread from Ehmac (the Canadian mac forum) that lists lots of free/opensource Mac software. The thread goes back a couple of years, but there have been some recent posts as well:

http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/23912-cool-mac-apps-freeware.html

One of the best sites mentioned in that thread (and where I get most of my free Mac software from) is:

http://web.mac.com/simon_elliott/simon_elliott@mac.com/Software.html

Happy hunting :D

8. Slumbercub macrumors regular

9. Zuplar macrumors regular

Zuplar

i pretty much use everything you have, except i use NeoOffice instead. to me it functions a lot better and feels more native than OpenOffice.

10. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

I guess that's often not a technical decision, but rather a question of attitude. Followers of the philosophy of open source believe that software should be open in every sense (i.e. you should be allowed to extend and modify the code, run it on any device you want, etc.). Unfortunately, this is completely incompatible with Steve Jobs' beliefs.

11. Blubbert macrumors 6502

OSX is based off BSD, but its not open source. It has several proprietary designs in it.

12. inkspirational macrumors newbie

inkspirational

Hi, I have a simple question for those of you who use Q. How does it work actually? I am quite confused with the interface. Do I have to insert a Windows Boot Disk after creating a PC?

Thanks in advance.

13. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Like others said, it's not a pure open source Mac because OS X isn't open source, only the Mach/Darwin kernel is.

14. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Yes you do you need a bootable CD, a Floppy Image and a CD Iso or CD Image or another OS ISO to use Q. There are some free ones out there like Linux and that that you can use x86 wise.

15. inkspirational macrumors newbie

inkspirational

Thanks for the prompt reply.

With Linux as my parallel, will I be able to run Windows application? Sorry, I don't know a lot about other OSes.

16. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Linux does not contain the API's for Windows applications; WINE for linux may or may not run your Windows applications. I suggest either using ReactOS or Windows for your Windows apps.

17. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

GIMP 2.4.2 works fine with Leopard.

18. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Ah so it does. It had been a long time since I checked to see. Brilliant, now my mac is complete.

19. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Very cool thread. I was a linux user before I was a Mac user. I do feel strongly about Open Source but Apple's apps are just so damn good. I've gone from dual booting OS X and Ubuntu, to now running Ubuntu through parallels. Yes, too bad Open Source apps don't look as good as Apples apps.

More on topic, Can't you run KDE apps on OS X now?http://dot.kde.org/1168899755/

20. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

Also isnt WebKit opensource? so if you use the WebKit nightlys, is that tainting an opensource mac; of course im neglecting the fact that OS X isnt opensource.

21. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Actually the kernel of OS X is open source. The only part that is not is the GUI layer on top.

Look for Darwin. It is in fact just a command line version of OS X.

22. JudasX macrumors newbie

Hell if anyone else isn't gonna mention it I will....

QUICKSILVER

...If you care about productivity go to http://www.blacktree.com/ and download this application launcher for your list. It is a god-like utility. The keystrokes become so familiar i almost forget i have a trackpad...

23. nightsky macrumors member

SlooksterPSV, I need your help ;)

Being new to mac os x 10.4 and trying to install some open software like:
    Scribus, Inkscape, Blend, I am confused about how to install them. I have updated X11 but need clarification.

How did you install lets say Inkscape?
    Did u also install mac port or fink? Did you just compile and if so how? Did you find and use a ready to install pkg. for mac OS X?

Is it better to use a ready made pkg? I tried to install 'Scribus Aqua' and it was in German and the preference button 'grayed out' sometimes although I was able to set pref. to 'GS' but not to change language so I gave up on it and just dragged it 'trash'.

Are Binary Pkg.s for compiling in Mac's 'Darwin'? or to compile in mac port or fink?

Please help and we can put together some good clear simple how to! lol Thanks

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

whats the point of having a pure open source computer, apps and os, if you have to pay for the computer!

25. richkent72 macrumors regular

I also can't see the point of this, unless the app in question is better than the one you get as part of the price of your Mac (I use Firefox in preference to Safari for this reason, although others will disagree). Where I have used open source extensively is on my Windows bootcamp partition. Having paid for Windows, I'm keen to prevent any further expenditure!