My Reason There Aren't Any New Beta's (OS 3.0)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SAG3194, May 30, 2009.

1. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

I think there aren't any new beta's because Apple is trying to hide something big (echem video chat!)

We found:

Video Recording (They didn't care. I guess)

Compass (They didn't care. I guess)

iPhone 2,1 (They kinda didn't care)

Video Chat (Probably hidden in beta 6 which is why it isn't released yet!)

Chances are they will announce Video Chat and then release Beta 6 as the last beta.

Thoughts

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. ryant601 macrumors member

i think it's unlikely we'll see another beta before WWDC. I also think 3.0 will release on the 8th of June. Similar to how 2.0 was done last ear

4. weeman macrumors 6502

OS 2.0 was not released on the same day as the keynote last year...it was released on 3G launch day but from what i remember it was leaked 1-2 days before release date.

5. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Beta 5 expires on the 19th, 10 days after WWDC's keynote.

The other betas (except beta 4) expired 10 days after the next beta was released.

So either:

- There are unannounced features that will be in a sixth beta, which will be released sometime after the keynote, or

- This is the last beta, and the final version of 3.0 will be released sometime after the keynote. This is very likely, as if Apple wishes to not repeat last year's mistakes, they'll release 3.0 on June 9th, and the third-generation iPhone sometime in July.

6. randomusername macrumors 6502

Those expecting video chat capabilities are really just trying to disappoint themselves. Really? Do you think you'll be able to stream video back and forth on America's weakest 3G network? Ha. No.

7. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

That's correct, a couple days before 3G release date the 2.0 software was found exposed publicly on Apple's servers where a someone on these forums (cannot recall who it was) posted a link to the download. Several people were able to download this new software including me, and the nearly identical software was then available to the public days later. Hopefully, it will happen again! I'm thinking they are done with the beta's and ideally we will see some really cool, new things on the next iPhone hardware as well as 3.0 that were unknown up to WWDC...

8. SAG3194 thread starter macrumors 6502

SAG3194

HAVE A LITTLE FAITH! THOSE EXPECTING VIDEO CHAT WOULD KNOW HOW I FEEL RIGHT NOW!

9. fratboy macrumors regular

8 almost 7 actually

10. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Who are you going to video chat with? Other iPhone users? While the iPhone is very popular there aren't enough units in circulation to make iChat worth it. I would say 10-15% of my friends have iPhones.

Not to mention iChat will NOT be free. I guarentee AT&T will jack up the price like no other, which will just alienate more people from iChat. So while you and your 3 buddies who have it, chat, the rest of the world will continue to use the iPhone the ol' fashion way (texting and regular calling).

That is unless Apple finds a way to connect you to a friend at a computer (cost for them?). Then your buddy only needs to be near a computer with a camera and microphone to chat with you (like anyone ever is).

iChat is NOT a feature that will be commonly used, hence why it will NOT be in the next iPhone upgrade. And if it is, and another feature is tossed because of it, I for one will NOT be upgrading.

11. SAG3194 thread starter macrumors 6502

SAG3194

I don't know about you but I travel a lot and I am only 15! I love the iPhone and I would use video chat all the time when I am traveling. Imagine your in bed and you want to video chat, instead of taking the Mac out and putting it on your lap just whip out the iPhone and start video chatting (over Wi-Fi for those saying AT&T will charge). I think it will be a great way to blow the Pre right out of the water.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Actually, AT&T is the strongest 3G network in America. Sprint is the largest though.

13. koopa35 macrumors 6502

why does ichat have to be for video only. i use ichat on my mac for im use. i would like to see video messaging as well. but if not just add ichat for the im capabilities at least.

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I think this is absolutely reasonable. I won't argue when 3.0 will be available to the public; it feels Release Candidate on iPhone G1 to me. I'd imagine that a Beta 6/7 will hit after the keynote. I don't think it'll go Golden until Beta 7/8, later in June.

15. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Unless all your friends are sitting at their computers waiting to chat with you, your not going to chat with anyone. Personally, its hard enough to get people to pick up their phones, less video chat with you.

If your traveling so much how do you get free Wifi? You're either paying out the nose for hotel wifi, or your at some coffee shop where you might as well bring your laptop if its one of the few chances where you'll get free wifi. On the road you'll be using 3g (or god forbid EDGE), where AT&T will have complete control over your wallet.:eek:
    I'm rather confused about your statement. You want to use iChat for AIM/MSN? Why not use one of the hundreds of IM apps out there? One of them has to be decent enough.

We're talking strictly using a front facing camera for video chat.

16. koopa35 macrumors 6502

true but i want to see ichat on the iphone in general. i want to see apple put a lot of their mac apps on the iphone if they could. etc mobile iwork or something. ichat is a great application, maybe since i crossed over to apple i prefer apple things over others. so if ichat has video or not i want ichat on the device.

as for front facing camera it would be cool to have. but im not the picture taking kind of guy. so if its there cool if not thats also cool

17. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I have a feeling it would be very similar to the SMS setup which is not unlike many of the IM apps out now. Many of the apps sold in the App store are infact BETTER than Apple's. For one, the SMS and IM apps can be used in landscape mode!

18. koopa35 macrumors 6502

yea but we dont know how it will be done. i think it could be done and of course it will be in landscape and what makes other apps better than apples?

edit: i think ichat is the simplest of any im platform.

19. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Usually they're very similar to the original Apple App, but with the features Apple missed. Such as copy paste or landscape typing.

20. koopa35 macrumors 6502

but now apple has added those missing features. and nothing can beat saying ichat on your phone, wether it would be for video chat and im or just im. but you make great points. im 99% sure we wont see it in any form. but we shall see on the 8th @ 10a

ichat v aim
    ichat v beejive
    ichat v others

9 out of 10 i think most apple supporters would rather see and or use ichat. just my thoughts.

21. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

No doubt if/when apple's features match those in the 3rd party apps people will use the Apple app. But until then they'll continue to use the 3rd party apps.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Knowing how AT&T is about video streaming and bandwidth usage apps they would have a stroke only thinking about it.
    Unless they pull another Sling move and block it allowing it on Wifi only.

23. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

WWDC. We're not seeing one until the day of the keynote.

24. thelordnyax macrumors regular

i'm guessing Apple has learned something from last year, with all the new iphones activating and all the older iphones getting updated on the same day

i think they'll give us 3.0 at least a few days before the new iPhone launch, well, assuming there is a new iPhone....

as for video chat, AT&T doesn't have this supported on any other video-capable phones, some European networks have it...so i don't konw if they'll do that...

25. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

Why not? they already have phones that can do it, even some of the free 3g phones can do it.

[​IMG]