My reasons for skipping the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elephunkman, Jun 8, 2010.

1. elephunkman macrumors 65816

The more I think about it, the 3GS may serve me just fine. Yes, the screen is better, but at least I am given the comfort of how fluid the OS flows on screen on the 3GS, compared to other devices on the market. The 3GS isn't even that bad of a device compared to a lot of Android/smartphones out there.

HD video and camera? I could care less about since I really don't take much photos with a phone camera. If I do, it will be a quick photo, which doesn't need the huge megapixel count anyway (megapixel does not equal quality). Much of my pictures and night pictures come from my Nikon, which then is edited to fit the iPhone screen.

However, the iPhone 4 design aspect is really nice, but that's just for eye candy

FaceTime? I barely even video chat with anyone on my MacBook to begin with and I do not know much people that can FaceTime with me since they won't be getting an iPhone 4, my friends usually carry Sprint phones or BlackBerry.

Gyro? The food? Just kidding. Well, I do play games on my iPhone, but not enough to warrant the new accelerometer use.

Dual mics. That's a biggie for me, but I'm young and texting is the way many, if not all, of my friends communicate, except for my lady contact.

New glass? Cool, dropped my 3GS a few times, no scratches. New glass seems like a great design and I am sure it will get better in iPhone 5

Battery? This is a big one for me. Even though my 3GS works perfectly fine throughout my daily usage (usually down to 40% at the end of my day 9AM-9PM), the iPhone 4's better battery looks great, but the difference comparison on Apple is somewhat minimal.

At least I still get 4.0 on the 3GS along with the excellent multitasking usage and the folders. I am grateful for that.

This wasn't meant to be a rant, just my opinions on why the 3GS may still be good for me to skip this year's model.

But, you best believe that I will be first in line for iPhone 5 or whatever they call it because my full upgrade will be ready by then. Given this year's specs, I will expect much better features next year along with a new OS.

2. raremage macrumors 6502a

Great, thanks for sharing. I'm sure you will influence one or two people.

The rest of us will let you know how much we like ours.

3. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

You're just probably not eligible to upgrade.

4. Salacion macrumors 6502a

Well you have to admit, this update was substantial. I'm a fan of the design minus the seams and everything else they implemented. But I, like you, don't see any reason to upgrade (especially since I have more than a year to go on my contract), so I'll just stick to the 3GS. I think 5 will be the number for me too.

5. Aadhil macrumors regular

I skipped the 3Gs because I was not eligible to upgrade. I guess I'm luckier than most because I'm upgrading from the 3G and will appreciate the awesomeness of the iPhone 4 that much more :D

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You'd be singing a different tune if you were eligible, but you really don't need to justify to us. I had the original iPhone and didn't upgrade to 3G even though I was eligible (as was everybody).

8. LoganT macrumors 68020

Doubt it. But the group of people who don't want the iPhone 4 are probably an anomaly.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Does it help you to post this? Did it work, did you convince yourself?

10. mark2288 macrumors regular

Wow...when did people get so catty on these forums?

The OP brought up some good points. Steve Jobs might have presented the iPhone 4 has an absolutely revolutionary product, but it isn't - it's what most people would expect of a product as the technology behind it develops.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The only thing that's stopping me from agreeing is I take lots of videos. My wife, being the primary line on a plan over $100/month, is eligible for a full upgrade whereas I'm not even though we both got the 3GS at the same time. However, I can easily do a device swap on another eligible line on a family plan, leaving me eligible when iPhone 5 comes around and my wife will likely be eligible again because our bill is over $100/month.

12. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

he sure is trying hard. i sorta feel bad for him. in fact, i would have bought him one, fully loaded, but he's so hell bent on not wanting the iP4, so i won't. i'll give my charity to someone else who does want a free iP4.

13. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Yep, you're the only one in the world.

14. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

FYI, I'm eligible for an early upgrade, but don't see the need to upgrade. I thank all the constructive criticism that people are posting.

15. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Instead of making reasons up regarding the features, I'll quite happily admit that the reason I'm not upgrading to iPhone 4 until next year when iPhone 5 launches, is because I simply cannot afford it.

My wife wants an iPad for us both, so that's the next Apple purchase we'll make. This has been the case since we had a play around with the iPad in the Glasgow Apple store last week.

16. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Not trying hard, based on my other threads and my iPhone Upgrade Guide, I'm just stating my reasons. WhySoSerious?

17. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

lol

18. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

No your not, I agree too and I still have a 3G iPhone.

19. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not making anything up because it is what I think. I can afford it, but am being the smart consumer and justifying to myself why this purchase is not something I need, more like something I want.

20. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

And what did your post do for yourself? :)

21. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

It made someone lol, so that makes me feel good. It also made me feel a little better about the time I wasted reading your post. :)

22. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha, good to hear that my post made people laugh instead of smashing their hands on the keyboard, angrily.

23. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you too. I'll let you know how much I'll like mines when I can pay 199/299 instead of 399/499. Just gotta wait til early next year.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

LOL....why so negative?

I'll take it. Will you ship directly to my home?

25. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

+1 I skipped the 3GS, and stayed 3G. iPhone 4 is a big leap, I'm looking forward to my new phone.