My recent "accident"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msgkar03, Aug 30, 2013.

1. msgkar03 macrumors newbie

So, about a month ago.. I stupidly sat a bowl cereal next to my laptop.. Yes I know its my fault, I was stupid to do this, etc. etc. As you can guess what happened next, I bumped the table and the bowl tipped over and fell onto the right 1/4 of my laptop. I immediately shut it off and wiped it down as much as possible. Over the next day or two.. my keys began to stick. The next weekend I started the process of taking out each key and cleaning with alcohol .. long story short.. I got all the bad keys cleaned and now everything works great.. almost everything

I went to put a CD in yesterday and there was a bit of resistance putting it in there.. Today I ejected it but it wouldn't come out. I ended up taking the end of a Qtip and pulling most of the cotton off. then i used that with some alcohol and used it to clean the slot.. what I found was the film that protects CDs from scratching when inserted/ejected had dried up and became stiff. The Qtip worked but I ended up having to pull out that entire film because it wasnt any good.

My question to you all, is: Is it ok to use my laptop without that film. Im aware of the obvious concerns such as being careful not to scratch CDs..and to keep the slot away from as much dust/debris as possible. Is that really all i need to worry about? Thanks

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For starters, I'm surprised you have the guts to use your Mac without waiting the proper time for humidity to dissipate from components.