My redesigns on iOS 7 icons

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by NeonBible, Jun 29, 2013.

1. NeonBible, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

NeonBible macrumors member

I'm sorry if there's already numerous of threats about this subject but I wonder what you guys think about my redesign of two of iOS 7's icons, respectively Safari and Game Center?

I think the Safari icon in iOS 7 is very boring, and I wanted therefore to give it a try myself.

When it comes to the Game Center icon, I don't find it understandable. I don't think the bubbles interact with the user as a "Game Center".

So, what do you guys think about my icons?

Attached Files:

2. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Why do people care about this so much? You spend your time in the apps, not staring at icons...

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because we have a company focused on design and usability together, a lot of people are likely going to be a surprised when you have a UI that is ugly and looks like there is no continuity between icons. As for me, I would like them to be nice, but frankly I don't give a **** as long as the OS functions well.

OP, I like the first safari I icon. It's clean.

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I like it. What does it look like on the home-screen with all the other apps though?

5. NeonBible, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

NeonBible thread starter macrumors member

If you are like me, and care very much about design, then it's always funny to try to redesign "bad things" (meant in a subjective way, of course) yourself. I pay a lot of attention to details, and to mention an example, I've always hated the music icon in iOS 6 because of its metric alignment on the note icon itself, and not optical alignment. Luckily (for me), the new music icon is optical aligned.

6. Quercus Alba macrumors member

It baffles me that some people DON'T care about this.

EDIT: OP, photoshop your new icons onto the iOS 7 homescreen so we can see what they look like out on the savannah.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This. The look of an OS has never been an issue to me. Only how useful it is to me and whether the damn thing functions or not. With all these users complaining about such trivial things like icons, I can see why iOS users don't like Android and I can see why they're willing to put up with slapshod software (iOS 6) as long as it 'looks nice'.

As far as I'm concerned, iOS 7 adds a tonne of functionality and quality to the OS software that should have been added years ago. And here y'all are complaining about damn icons.

8. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Love the Safari one since I dislike all the white iOS 7 contains. White backgrounds on the icons make them look unfinished and boring. The full colour Safari icon looks for that reason.

Similarly, I dislike the white GameCenter icon with bubbles. However, your revision I thnk is "meh." Like the bubbles, it should have colour. The chess piece is also too specific am example of a game.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not y'all. Don't speak for all when this "concern" is isolated to few in comparison to all iPhone owners. ;)

10. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

You should also redesign Reminders and Notes. There's too much white in my opinion.

11. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Not liking them. Safari is not better than the Apple version and Game Centre is NOT a chess game!

Seriously, let go of the past. Embrace the future. Think different.

12. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

the only one that needs fixing is the camera icon.

13. Jimrod macrumors 65816

I think people who don't give a crap what the icons look like might do better to not comment in threads about them rather commenting in them about how they don't care. Icons are a substantial part of the iOS UI so are important to the system, like it or not.

I do think that if Apple were to redesign all the icons to be different shaped turds that half the people on this site would say they love them and that everyone else needs to get over it and stop resisting change etc.

To the OP, I like your icons - I was thinking a dice for game centre (same shape as the icon) but your chessboard is a good spin on it, nice one. I do think Safari is just wrong in its inception since there is also a compass App also but yours is better than Apple's new version. :)

14. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Really like the safari icon. The other one could easily get mixed up with some chess games I have on my phone though.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

As someone who doesn't really care much at all about the icons, I can tell you my reasoning.

I want the phone to work. I want the OS to work smoothly, as bug free as possible, do the stuff I want it to do easily, have decent battery life, and not break down easily.

The aesthetic of the icons, if they happen to appeal to MY taste (a wholly individual issue), is nice. If they don't happen to appeal to MY taste, is not particularly important to me, as long as the phone works as I wish. As long as the apps work when I tap on the icons, whether the icons appeal to me or not, is more important, by far, for me, than the look.

None of what I just said is mean in jest nor intended to be smart ass...it is a serious response to your apparent puzzlement regarding why some people are not as exercised about the aesthetic of the icons as others.

16. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I took the liberty of placing the OP's icons on a homescreen picture. I'm not much of a photo editor, so beware my novice skills :p

Original homescreen on top and updated one at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2013-06-29 at 2.31.40 PM.png
    iOS 7 Homescreen with new icons.jpg

17. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I like the Safari icon, mostly because I just don't like the actual icon very much. The game center one not so much. That said, I really don't care what the Safari icon looks like since the actual app is quite nice.

18. NeonBible thread starter macrumors member

Hahaha, thanks! :)

19. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Not wanting to be rude, but I prefer the icons and the redesigned for iOS 7 icons better. Just my opinion. I'm that one guy who actually likes the new GC icon.

20. NeonBible thread starter macrumors member

Of course you're not rude :) People have different opinions, and I fully respect and understand those who don't like my icons. And, as it turns out, many people here have a good point about my Game Center icon. It may look like an icon for a chess game. Now I really want to redesign my own redesigned icon :D

21. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I spend so little time actually looking at the icons on my phone currently, that unless they were miniature icon sized depictions of animal cruelty I just can't bother to really care.

22. Jimrod macrumors 65816

Jony, is that you? :D

23. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

If it were, I'd have as 128gig iPad instead of my lowly 16gig. :(

24. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I like them both, but not the colours of the Game Center icon. It might look better with colours from the new palette. Green and yellow perhaps. Safari looks great - but I just think Apple should lose the compass needles once and for all and show us a new icon that also implies that we can "navigate around the net".

25. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Maybe something like this:

[​IMG]