my rMBP13 has arrived: plz help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lorcar, Apr 16, 2013.

1. lorcar macrumors member

I bought a refurbished retina 13, my first mac.
    Everything fine so far (besides my struggle to manage windows and icons in my firs non-windows environment) but I dont know if my screen is faulty or not.

I notice that especially on white/clear web pages, the light comes from the bottom of the screen, like if there are 7 or 8 little spotlights beaming their light to the screen. And in between this little bulbs there is like a small shadow cone...V V V V V V V just to give you a silly idea of how it looks like
    My settings are set on "automatically adjust brightness". When I increase the brightness the problem disappears, as the little shadow areas become clear as well.
    What do you experts think? should I send it back?
    thanks in advance

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Make a photo of it and upload here, make it smaller first (MB) so we can see what's going on.

But, I think I know, seen it before and if that is the case go back to Apple because it should be uniform backlighting, I think part of the backlighting is not working or not working properly.

3. lorcar thread starter macrumors member

thanks, really a good start

now I regret both of buying a mac and buying it refurbished.
    That's the reason all apple fans are so obsessed with guarantee... :(

4. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I buy lots of computers through my job. Trust me, they're all the same. Brand new Dell and HP computers that don't even turn on out of the box and need to have parts replaced. Lenovo laptops that need to have the motherboard replaced 3 times in the first month of having it. Computers are a lot more complicated than they were in the past. Combined with super high demand and lower prices, quality suffers as well.

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

To be honest you did try save money and go refurbished. A refurbished unit is one that has been returned so it has a higher chance of having an issue. Some if not most would be fine, seems you got a lemon.

Be it a Dell, Acer, Sony, all hardware can slip though QA.

Just return it.

I used to order my Apple products online etc, I have also encountered issues in the past, now I just buy from the Apple store, as resolution/replacement is so much easier. Apple have the best customer care, you just got unlucky.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Sounds like the iPad backlight bleed.

[​IMG]

I'm sure apple will replace it.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No, I am pretty positive it is much worse than that, half of his backlight is not working.
    There was another poster here several months ago, sadly can't find it and the picture.

It is something like this where the v is a working LED and a dot is a non working dot.

V.V.V.V.V.V

Normal would be

VVVVVVVVVV

Like this Image

[​IMG]

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Oh. Wow. That's horrible. It actually hurts to look at it.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yep.

That is what I expect to be the OP's issue, asked for a picture yet he didn't upload one.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

This is a load of nonsense. Every returned product that is flipped to be a refurb is thoroughly tested. Do you honestly think every Mac off the line goes through the same tests?

11. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It's probably not as pronounced as that because OP would not be asking us if he should send it back.

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

You can still return it if it is within the 14 day window, which is suggest you do, if you are starting to get 2nd thoughts.

13. lorcar thread starter macrumors member

just because I am at work w/o it
    but it is exactly like that!

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Actually, a refurbished Apple machine has had a much better chance of having better QA as it's individually inspected and tested. I think a lot of folks here will tell you that the refurbs they've bought have been indistinguishable from new.

As with anything, one slips through the cracks sometimes.

15. abc123 macrumors 6502

Return it and ask for your money back if it is within 14 days and you no longer want it.

Otherwise return it/exchange it for another one.

That is a pretty nasty defect out of the box. I can understand why you'd feel really disappointed.

16. lorcar thread starter macrumors member

what surprises me though is the fact that there is like a pattern in the not working led. yes/not/yes/not/yes/not, instead of some random working properly and some random not working

17. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No worries, but now we know, no need to upload one.

Return it and order another one, it's just bad luck, .... Happens.

18. lorcar thread starter macrumors member

today i didnt notice it at first, then i closed both windows and door, and that's the result

Attached Files:

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I actually believe the tests are the same.

Your making a huge assumption what thoroughly tested means. Case I. Hand this laptop.

Also with a retina mbp that is a refurb , you have a higher chance of getting a LG screen. To me that is a major fault with the current mbpr. Still nonsense?

20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You would be incorrect. Apple Certified Refurb. New computers off the line do not go through the same tests.

As far as the RMBP is concerned, what difference does it make if it's refurb or new? Aren't your chances still 50/50?

Yes, it's still nonsense :D

21. 1member1 macrumors 6502

Why regret buying a mac ? every computer can have hardware problems. if you faced a software problems with the operating system i could understand.

you have warranty for 1 year.. go to apple they will replace it for you.

I have the same computer as well. this is the best laptop i've ever owned so no need to regret or panic.

good luck

22. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

go and replace it. they'll replace with no problems. STOP

23. lorcar thread starter macrumors member

i know, i guess you r right
    but my previous 30 years with pc, never had an issue
    and my biggest issue is that i dont find Mac intuitive at all! everything seems to me so difficult, and counterintuitive, dont understand where files are stored, how to go through pics (why should I import in Iphoto just to view them? i want to seem them ALL where they are)
    I mean, I am still far from understanding Apple logic

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I will say I've had backlight bleed issues with a couple macbook pros, but I wouldn't say you have a higher chance of receiving such a thing buying refurbished. If we're talking about refurbished directly from Apple, the return policy is the same 14 days. You could return it and try again if you like. Personally I would get bored after 1-2 tries, but some people on here have swapped quite a few. Anyway I hope you get it sorted.

The finder isn't any more difficult than Windows Explorer in my opinion. You can search things fairly quickly and create shortcuts if necessary. I don't use iphoto very much, so I can't help you there.

Last thing is I would return it. There's no point in convincing yourself to like it and regretting it later as people often do with tech products.

25. davidlv macrumors 65816

There are other options for viewing pictures, you do not have to use iPhoto.
    Apple includes an application called Preview (/Applications folder) drag the icon to your Dock, and use it if it suits your purpose. There are countless other options, ask here in the forums or do a Google search for something else. macupdate.com has a search function too, type in view pictures and see what happens.
    In order to switch from Windows to the Mac platform, you need an adaptive mind set, quit thinking in terms of Windows and start learning how to use your Mac, it is much easier overall! :cool: