My Samsung SSD died on me within 30days!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LEOMODE, Jul 29, 2009.

1. LEOMODE macrumors regular

I live in Japan and I got this in Japan Yahoo Auction.

The seller said it does not have manufacturer warranty.

Right now though, I live in both Japan and Korea and I was wondering

if I can get this replaced.

The problem happened when all of a sudden the ssd would not boot up (hangs in the first white booting screen of macbook pro unibody 15")
    it gave me the bong sound but after that, I couldn't even boot up with the CD rom when I pressed C.

So I used back my old 320gb hdd that was in the macbook and it booted up fine. and I inserted this SSD into the hdd bay and see if the macbook can detect it but could not.

Is this dead? if so where can I get this replaced or have it go through the warranty; doesn't this have at least 1 year warranty??

I mean until now, this SSD had no problem at all, no freezing, no CRC error, nothing! it was perfect and snappy...

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Sounds like it is dead. You could try calling the manufacturer, but they may require a vendor receipt etc for any warranty to be valid (which is why the auctioner may have explicitly stated "no warranty"). It doesn't hurt to give the company a ring and find out, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

3. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

oh my...I've had so many HDD's in my life but nothing ever just died out of the blue...I mean this happened when I force-shutdown the macbook when macbook wouldn't wake up from sleep (tried couple of times and just decided to force-shutdown) and then it wouldn't boot up. would that be the cause? but I force-shutdown so many times with different HDD and everything was fine.

this just sucks, is ssd weak with force-shutdown or something

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Most Manufacturers don't really care about the proof of purchase, just check the manufactures website and see if they offer RMA Advance Replacements. If they do, you would have to get a RMA number, they will ship you a new SSD, then you have 30 days to get the bad drive to them or they will charge you for a new drive.

Thats what i did with my WD, and Samsung drives that went bad in the past. Sometimes if your lucky and they don't have the size drive you did, they will upgrade you to a bigger drive. This happened to me twice. :D

5. racztomi macrumors newbie

Very interesting! I had the very same phenomenon just right now!! Step by step identical!

In case you are still around, any more info on the problem? Did you manage to replace? Any data recovery? Any more info on the cause?

6. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

i'll buy for failed SSD drive for $50 + shipping

7. PacMookBro macrumors regular

If this is true, I would definitely stay away from SSD.

8. andyone macrumors member

I have read a lot of reports about Samsung SSDs dying. And they have no warranty, that makes them pretty much the worst choice of all. I will go with Crucial, they have decent performance and offer 5 years warranty.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

SSDs are working just fine in many laptops. The more important question probably is whether one can really justify the speed advantage given the cost.

10. ogschile macrumors newbie

My Kingston SSD dead in my macbook pro unibody 15"

I live in Chile

After 10 days my new ssd V series from kingston died , fail, fault in my macbook pro 15" unibody, i truy to recover with copycat, boomerang, etc...

The ssd died and i lost everything info , for me is 10 days of hard work, never trust again in this garbage expensive solution from kingston. The ssd has no possibility of recover like hdd

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's the problem with SSDs, when they go toast it's sudden.

12. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Considering you already paid an arm and a leg for an older hardware machine, i would say absolutely. :)

13. GUnnith345 macrumors newbie

Guys, I had the same thing happen to me this weekend. I've had the drive for a year and half, no issues, until I woke it up out of sleep. I tried to launch firefox and notcied os X had froze up on me. I hit the power button, and it got stuck on the white screen.

I swapped in my original 5400 rpm hard drive and everything was fine, but my 256gb samsung just won't boot up. I tried to connect it as a secondary drive on my PC, but still no luck there.

Did anyone get anywhere with this? Also, any experiences with samsung's warranty and RMA service would be appreciated.

Thanks!

14. shortys408 macrumors regular

these posts make me want to hold off on getting an SSD. I thought they were supposed to be more reliable.

15. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

It's a fairly new tech, still working out the bugs. That said, if you can afford a SSD you can afford a 1tb external drive to use as a time machine.

16. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Why would you want to do that?

17. blunderboy macrumors 6502

Eeeeek. I'd definitely hold off on updating this MBP with a SSD, then, if they have such a high failure rate. You'd think they'd be reliable, with no moving parts to worry about, but judging by what people are saying, I guess that's not the case.

18. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Wait just a second... is it really true that once SSD drives die, there is absolutely no way of recovery? Don't they have some sort of failure message beforehand like HDDs do so you can backup your data before it's all lost?

19. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

2 items:

Anyone using an SSD should be doing regular backups. With Time Machine so easy to use on the Mac, there's really no excuse for not doing so.

Regarding the stone-cold failed SSDs, has anyone tried to use disk utilities (booted from the installation CD) to look at the drive? My Intel X25M SSD once got stalled at the opening gray screen, and when I booted up disk utilities, the disk did appear and I repaired the disk permissions which solved this problem.

Just a thought.

20. GUnnith345 macrumors newbie

I'll be trying this asap ...

21. GUnnith345 macrumors newbie

And nothing ...

Tried loading off the disk, but the macbook doesnt seem to be responding. I was able to reset the pram/nvram, but other than that, while the ssd is in there, it doesn't eject or load the disk.

I pulled it out and with no hard drive, I was able to boot off the dvd. My original hd also seems to work when plugged in.

Any other ideas anyone, I'm desperate ...

22. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

if you bought it with a credit card, depending on the company, you could always call them and just explain your situation to them. They may side with you

23. GUnnith345 macrumors newbie

I tried samsung today, but these drives are OEM only. I bought it off an auction and it seems like it was pulled out of a dell. Anyone know about dell's warranty on parts. It seems impossible to RMA without a service tag.

24. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Sorry you're going through this. Thanks for posting back the results of your testing, at least we know what's been tried and what works/doesn't work. I wish I had other ideas to offer, but alas, I think it has to go back to the manufacturer at this point.

Good luck, it indeed sounds like a dead drive.

25. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I wish we could help you, but it sounds like you are SOL