Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkZeppelin

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
Baton Rouge
PinkZepplin, I am in the same boat as you, at LSU and the wireless network is completely useless on the iphone and not that much better on a laptop. Seems like every week my laptop doesn't connect because my PAWS password has expired. Hopefully Apple comes up with a fix for this.

Hopefully it's only a software not a hardware problem and apple will come with a firmware update. Edge has ok speed and it would be great if we could use wifi on it. I'm using a macbook pro and do not have a problem with connecting to wifi on it; I just use the same PAWS password so I don't have to reset up wireless again. I wish lsu would keep lsuwireless usable but still keep lsusecure.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
iPhone/ touch are never gonna work on my school's network as they require a VPN adapter to connect. Wireless signal is weak anyway.
Yeah, same here. My employers (a Big Ten University) require the Cisco VPN client to use their WiFi on campus, fine with a laptop (there's a Mac Client), but for the iPhone I'm screwed. Luckily I work off campus and we have our own WiFi router. ;)

rykwon97

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2006
Baton Rouge, LA
I have a macbook that connects fine on campus, just hate the fact that the authentication is tied to a PAWS password that exprires every 30 days or so. I have my email setup using IMAP and rarely login the webpage so have no idea when my password is set to expire. Just one day I can't pull a connection and have to change the keychain. While easy on the Mac, I know many people who have problems with this on the PC. I don't know how hard it would be to add 802.11x the iphone, but would be very appreciated. Guess we will have to wait and see. EDGE works well, I never had a 3G phone so don't know how much of a difference it would be. Checks email fine and random webpages. I think the biggest slowdown is the mail.app and not the network. The iphone makes a good pocket wireless sniffer to fine networks to jump onto without having to fire up the laptop.

mjs975s

Suspended
Jul 5, 2007
NYC
I've posted on this several times. 802.1X authentication uses EAP/PEAP/LEAP for user verification. Not including this was a huge oversight on Apple's part and I filed a formal bug report the day after iDay. Additionally, I spoke with one of the engineers and they were unaware that so many universities were using this type of authentication for wifi networks. It has been escalated up the priority list and will most likely be seen in the first MAJOR update. I'm a faculty member at a sizable university and I can understand how frustrating it is to be tied to EDGE when your entire campus is blanketed by WiFi -- just have to be patient.

sstern1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
I do go to LSU, and unfortunately I can't blame this on computing services but instead on Apple! I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the phone and just use edge until they fix this...

sstern1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Do we know if the new iPhone update fixes this problem? Any first-hand knowledge out there?

maxidious

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
Most schools are now using 802.1X as their baseline security, OS X supports it but iphone doesn't.

aka, that means you are SOL unless apple release a wifi update, because i am pretty sure school won't change their whole security policy for our iphones/ipod touch.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
But of course people refuse to blame apple because apple always does everything the best way. What ever Steve Jobs is the word of god.

That was unnecessary. You don't know why this was left out of the iPhone. if Apple sees that this functionality is needed they may very well include it in future updates. Being an Apple 'haterboy' is just as bad as being an Apple fanboy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.