Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I didn't notice it until my second day with the phone, but I too am among the yellow splotch crowd on my screen. Its actually a band that goes across the entire bottom of the screen, I'd say maybe 1/6" tall or so. We got three phones in our order, neither of the other two have it.

I read that this may be an adhesive that needs to dry, but here I am a few more days into it, and there has been NO visible change. I ran the flashlight app. at full brightness for about 30 minutes hoping to see even the slightest change, but clearly this isn't something that needs to dry or that will get better. At least not MY phone. I'm not gonna pound down doors and demand a new phone just yet, I can wait until the mania dies down, but clearly this problem is real and so far it doesn't appear to be self-healing as was first suggested.

How about you? Anyone else have the yellowing splotch problem? Has yours improved or even vanished? Would love to hear about your situations.

Thanks!

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I'd imagine being taken out of the factory and used in real life might mess with the process.

ignign0kt

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
I'm on day 3 and my spots are still there. I figured I might as well wait a week and then call support to see if I can get a replacement. I would just go to an Apple Store but it's 2 hours away and they probably wouldn't have any iPhones in stock.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm on day 3 and my spots are still there. I figured I might as well wait a week and then call support to see if I can get a replacement. I would just go to an Apple Store but it's 2 hours away and they probably wouldn't have any iPhones in stock.

The Geniuses have special no-box replacement phones. The store I went to had plenty when I exchanged my spotted phone. You should call the store you want to visit and ask someone in the repair dept. if they have iPhone 4 replacements in stock.

ignign0kt

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
The Geniuses have special no-box replacement phones. The store I went to had plenty when I exchanged my spotted phone. You should call the store you want to visit and ask someone in the repair dept. if they have iPhone 4 replacements in stock.

Good idea. Thanks.

Edit: Do you think I could be sent a replacement without going to an Apple store? I really don't want to make a 240 mile round trip for a damn replacement.

mizzoucat

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2005
Day 4 and my yellow band is just as bad as day 1. I call BS on this residue claim. Apple has really screwed the pooch on the iPhone 4. From the lost prototype to all of the issues at launch, the iPhone 4 has been one gigantic clusterf***.

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Mine went away

After the second day, my dime sized urine stain dissappeared, thank goodness!

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
I have a yellow strip at the bottom of the screen, and it's still there after 3 days. I don't think it's going to go away.

Jetwash

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
4 days & still have yellow line from bottom left to bottom right of screen. Called Apple Care today & they basically said I would have to send my phone in and wait for replacement. I told them that was unacceptable since I travel a lot, so he gave me the option of paying $29 & they would send me a temp phone until mine was fixed or a permanent replacement was sent out. What? YGTBSM! I just bought a brand new phone that is defective & this is the best they can do? Unreal. I bought the phone from AT&T store & called them too & they told me I had to call Apple about any technical problems. I'm not happy with either of them. I'm going to drive an hour to nearest Apple store & see what they can do.

atticus570

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
im on day 4 mine seems to only show up up when im outside in the heat using my phone im giving it till next thursday then going to call apple back i called the first day to have my claim on file

JasonH42

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010
Mine has yellow spots at the top of the screen as well as the bottom, and they're much worse at the top. No fading at all yet... :(

Jeneb86

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Will Apple take them back if you bought it from AT&T? Just curious...

Yes, apple will replace or take back any current iPhone as long as it isn't jaibroken (and still under warrantee).

I noticed the yellow spots on my phone a bit after walking out of the apple store with it. I rushed back and the manager (who I became buddies with after sitting around for 7hours) took care of it right away. Only problem was the replacement phone he gave me also had the spots. He asked me to keep it for a week or so and if it is still there to bring it back for another one. Mine is STILL there and I am thinking of going back Tuesday or Thursday this week to get ANOTHER replacement.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Good idea. Thanks.

Edit: Do you think I could be sent a replacement without going to an Apple store? I really don't want to make a 240 mile round trip for a damn replacement.

Sure. Call the 800 AppleCare #. (First level techs can be pretty dense and want to push you off the phone. If nec. ask for a 2nd level tech.)

Will Apple take them back if you bought it from AT&T? Just curious...

Yes. In fact, regardless of where you bought your phone Apple is the sole warranty repair provider.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Yes, apple will replace or take back any current iPhone as long as it isn't jaibroken (and still under warrantee).

Mine is STILL there and I am thinking of going back Tuesday or Thursday this week to get ANOTHER replacement.

Thanks for the good info. I guess I'll make an appt. and shoot down there this week sometime.

Sorry to hear you got stuck twice! It figures that mine (out of the three we got) would be the one with the problem! :p

nicegoogly

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
I noticed the yellow splotches the afternoon ofmJune 24. I called Apple and was told adhesive needs to dry, give it a few days. Later that evening I realized it was reappeared when the phone got hot. The adhesive story is a lie.

I called today and said I wanted an advanced replacement and she could take my credit card. There was no argument. When I asked of it was new in box and she said no, a refurbished phone. I said that was not cool since I waited three and a half hours just four days ago for a new phone. She then said she thought it was a 3GS and said it is new in box. Before I hung up I confirmed it was a new in box iPhone and she said yes.

It is only a credit card hold for an advance replacement. As long as you return it on time there is no chrage to your credit card. It works fine with all the splotches, just use that instead of sending the phone in and then they send you a replacement. Why bother with a loaner phone?

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Jobs says that you are all looking at it the wrong way and there is no issue there.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Got mine on Friday and have 2 yellow marks. Shows up after using the phone for awhile. I also call bs on the adhesive drying rumor.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Got mine on Friday and have 2 yellow marks. Shows up after using the phone for awhile. I also call bs on the adhesive drying rumor.

My yellow line has never gone away, use or not. Interesting that some have it only after some use.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I had a yellow band on the bottom of my screen but it has disappeared now. I used it for about a day and a half before it went away.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I have a yellow strip at the bottom of the screen, and it's still there after 3 days. I don't think it's going to go away.

Mine hasn't gone away either, but then again I'm not suprized. It's like the car dealer saying "don't worry about it".

Luckily I live just one mile from the Apple store, but yesterday they were giving people replacements without the original box. That seems pretty shady to me. I decided to pass.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
...but yesterday they were giving people replacements without the original box. That seems pretty shady to me. I decided to pass.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that each store has a certain (separate) stock of no-box replacement phones. Still brand new, just without the box and accessories, since you're only swapping out the device itself. I've since confirmed that for myself and setup and appointment for Thursday to go get mine replaced.

For what its worth... still no change at all on my yellow band. I actually used my phone a lot yesterday, so the "it needs to dry" theory isn't quite adding up in my situation.

MarkMissoula

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
Day 4 and my yellow band is just as bad as day 1. I call BS on this residue claim. Apple has really screwed the pooch on the iPhone 4. From the lost prototype to all of the issues at launch, the iPhone 4 has been one gigantic clusterf***.

Take it back and get a Droid.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.