Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drakdaddy

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Just went to the Apple store. I handed the guy my phone, told him the problem, and he went to go replace in immediately. Unfortunately, they didnt have any replacements, so he gave me the form and said that they will call me when they get new shipments. Should I trust this?!

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Just went to the Apple store. I handed the guy my phone, told him the problem, and he went to go replace in immediately. Unfortunately, they didnt have any replacements, so he gave me the form and said that they will call me when they get new shipments. Should I trust this?!

Just stay on top of it and you should be fine. Don't be afraid to call the store each day and ask if their replacements came in. You should be alright.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I have the yellow splotch too. Two splotches vertically lined at the bottom and a splotch on the top. I then did a test to see if there were any other splotches by sticking my phone under a halogen lamp for 5 minutes (6 inches away). Noticed the splotches forming a vertical band that connected the initial splotches. Probably is bonding agent, but I don't believe it's going to get better after use.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
Day 6, and for the first time it is looking lighter, I think. I would much prefer if it just goes away - I really don't want to be swapping the phone.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I first had a week 22 phone but had it swapped because of a flicker (Now seems to be a software issue seeing as the current and demo phones do the same thing) so i get a week 25 and notice the slightest discoloration along the bottom but most obvious in the bottom right corner. After 3 days it seems like it has faded a little bit and it definitely isn't as noticeable (maybe im just getting used to it but it definitely seems like it has faded a little bit.)

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
yeah...they made that up. Take it back, get a new one.

and of all phone to get other than iphone. Don't get a droid. let Motorola suffer a bit more. They need to learn from their razr days....

cewagner

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
yellow spots

I had this same problem. I talked to apple tech a couple times. They said if the spots don't go away after a couple days to call back. I called back yesterday and the guy said apple is replacing phones with the yellow spots. The way they're doing it is very inconvenient though. You have to send your phone back and when they get it they will send you the replacement. I told the guy there was no way I could live without my phone for that long, so he checked my local store. Luckily they had phones in the store, so I went there last night and had it replaced. So check with your store.

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009

Yes, it happened to me last year when I had to swap out my 3GS. They didn't have any white box phones of my model. They called me when it came in, I didn't have to make another appointment, just picked it up.

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Mine hasn't gone away either, but then again I'm not suprized. It's like the car dealer saying "don't worry about it".

Luckily I live just one mile from the Apple store, but yesterday they were giving people replacements without the original box. That seems pretty shady to me. I decided to pass.

Why does this seem shady to you? This is not something they were doing just yesterday, it's what they always do for iPhone warranty replacements. They get the replacement phones in plain white boxes and then they use that same box to ship your phone back for refurbishing. You keep your original retail box & accessories. It's the standard practice, well documented on these forums.

agallowa

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Citrus Heights, CA
my wife noticed this issue on hers the first day she got hers then it went away the next day like we expected from reading here and here but now its back again... sounds like i should just make an appointment at the genius bar and get a replacement then? i dont get why it totally went away and now its back all of the sudden. any word on compensation from apple for the inconvienance? free bumper? free dock? mobile me?

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Quick Update

Well I wanted to drop a quick update and let everyone know that just yesterday I noticed this had reduced by probably 80% -- its FAR less noticeable now than it was in the beginning, however I CAN still see it if I look hard enough. Since this is the first time its changed at all, I'm going to give it another few days before I take the phone in.

I wanted to be fair since the original post says I saw NO change... it has indeed lightened up now.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Well I wanted to drop a quick update and let everyone know that just yesterday I noticed this had reduced by probably 80% -- its FAR less noticeable now than it was in the beginning, however I CAN still see it if I look hard enough. Since this is the first time its changed at all, I'm going to give it another few days before I take the phone in.

I wanted to be fair since the original post says I saw NO change... it has indeed lightened up now.

OP, just wondering what week your phone was made in? Its the 4 and 5th numbers of the serial number.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
Sometimes I think mine has got lighter, but it's usually just the ambient light that makes it appear this way. Look at it in another light and it's just as bad.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
OP, just wondering what week your phone was made in? Its the 4 and 5th numbers of the serial number.

Week 23.

I think maybe I spoke too soon, either that or the coloration has come back some. I thought I had a significant reduction, but it appears to be darker again. I actually noticed it more on a dark background than on a white one (which is what I primarily used before to spot it). So I'm pretty much back to where I was at before.

I'm gonna poke my way into Apple Store this coming week and get a replacement.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
When I first got my iPhone 4, the first day of use, I noticed no yellowish spots or lines anywhere on the phone. A couple days after that I started to notice some slight yellow blemishes, and then a solid yellow line. It seems to be a problem with heat and the chemicals used in the adhesive. When I turn my iPhone screen on in the morning, when it's nice and cool, the screen is perfect. But as the phone warms up that is when the yellow band starts to appear.

I will try and get a replacement sometime next week.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Mine is still there. It only really shows when the phone heats up but is annoying hell. A second line showed up while I was surfing in the car and charging at the same time. It's definitely a heat issue.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=235274&d=1277879793

can someone take a look at mine? bottom left corner.

im just waiting about 2 more weeks until this problem is taken care of. a lot of the store models had it too

Thats how mine is except on the right side, mines a little lighter than yours (almost hard to see) so i'm not even going to bother trying to get it exchanged because the geniuses probably won't see it w/o me trying to point it out and even then i doubt they would do anything except say "seriously...?" lol.

Whats weird about mine is i swear when it starts to have that very slight color change and i just wipe that part of the screen, the color gets lighter and almost goes away, but after another minute i can notice the color again. It can't be dirt because it always happens in the exact same spot and i am not touching it when it does it, but i just thought that was weird.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Thats how mine is except on the right side, mines a little lighter than yours (almost hard to see) so i'm not even going to bother trying to get it exchanged because the geniuses probably won't see it w/o me trying to point it out and even then i doubt they would do anything except say "seriously...?" lol.

hahaha ya thats what im thinking....my mom dad sister and GF cant see anything though. they keep saying im a nut and its my eyes...but my phone has NO other problems so i risk getting a replacement with a green camera or something

do you think mine is bad? would you get a replacement or think a genious would notice?

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
hahaha ya thats what im thinking....my mom dad sister and GF cant see anything though. they keep saying im a nut and its my eyes...but my phone has NO other problems so i risk getting a replacement with a green camera or something

do you think mine is bad? would you get a replacement or think a genious would notice?

Honestly i would just wait if i was you, if your lucky it may go away but even if it doesn't, chances are you would get another one with a similar problem and trust me returning phone after phone is not a fun experience at all. Wait a month and hopefully apple would have ironed out the kinks after they are done rushing the phones off the assembly line trying to fill all the backorders. Oh and my parents say the same thing about not being able to see this stuff. It is just something you pick up on when your used to seeing screens and knowing what is and is not normal, so what may be hard to notice for more "casual" users will stick out like a sore thumb for others.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
The yellow spots appear in two clusters on my iPhone 4. There is a cluster of five on the upper left edge that protrudes into the display area approx. 20mm. The second area is the lower right. It's comprised of four spots totaling 15mm. They have not changed, and everyone that looks at my phone comments about the collapse of Apple quality control. Upon having it looked at by a genius at the Apple store, they were very nice and offered a new replacement. The problem was they opened three new ones, but they had the same spots. It was the last three they had, so I'm on a waiting list.

greatstar

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
iPhone 4 Yellow Screen

I've had my iPhone 4 for over a week and went to the store re: yellow spots on screen.

The genius looked at the spots and ordered a replacement.

Advice:

1. Decline their request to record usage patterns or something to that effect when they ask to speed up the replacement process.

2. Explain how long you've had the phone and that the spot has not disappeared.

3. My spot faded a little, but with heat caused by exposure to sunlight or heavy use, the spots reappear.

Good luck.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Are those with the spots also experiencing the reported screen de-lamination/separation issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.