My Series 1 is already dead!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by margareedaville, Sep 16, 2016.

1. margareedaville macrumors newbie

Ok - so I picked up my series 1 today, got home, and it had zero battery left. See my post on that here. I charged it to 80%, configured it, then put it back on the charger when a call came in. After the call, I picked up the watch, and nothing. NO response. I followed apple's advice to hard reset, but nothing. What the heck??? Any thoughts?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Even Rev B isn't immune to manufacturing defects. However, if you charged it to 80% from dead you didn't really fully charge it so I'd put it back on the charger overnight and see what happens.

3. margareedaville thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea. It's on now. It still warms up however when I put it back on the charger.

4. avkam macrumors member

Thing that you had a new one with zero battery tells me there's something really wrong. Lithium batteries shouldn't go 0% for a long time or battery may damage.

5. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Note a couple of things about series 1, if you take a shower with it on, it will work but it will also be actively pushing the water out with the speaker (like what they do with the iPhone 7 now) it drains the battery big time, also the first time you set up the watch it goes through and indexes to save battery life in the future, this really cuts down on battery life too. Rule of thumb with any new device, don't judge the battery life off of the first day, a lot is going on that you don't see. Put it on the charger, make sure it's fully charged, go through two full days of wearing it, then start to be picky about battery life. As you use it you'll start to notice certain applications (especially 3rd party complications) will drain the watch quickly.

I suggest using Apple complications during the wear in period before you start using 3rd party complications, just to reduce battery drain. Then add them in one at a time and compare battery life as you enable them.

Choice of watch face doesn't make much of a difference, but how much time you leave it up does. I have my sounds set to low, and my screen brightness set to the lowest, it's still bright enough for me to see it in direct sunlight, and the added benefit of not requiring as much power to illuminate the screen. The taptic engine is also set to low (not off).

6. margareedaville thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sort of agreeing with you there. I've never had an apple product come to me with less than 75% battery.. hmm..

7. margareedaville thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - Just got back from Best Buy exchanging it. This new one came with plenty of battery. Thanks to all who helped!