My stalking nightmare, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jodie1987, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodie1987 macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I subscribed to someone on youtube using a account I used my real name on, anyway I changed my name on this account to just 1 name but I'm not sure if I changed it before or after subscribing to this person, anyway I also added this person on snapchat and I was speaking to them for a couple of weeks really friendly with them and told them some real personal stuff I have never told anyone before and over the last couple of weeks I haven't been messaging them that much anyway they have been really angry with me because I haven't sent messages to them and said they would release my personal secret to the world if I don't be friends with them, Im not 100% sure if they know my real name or not and if they know my real name they can go to my Facebook profile really easily and contact my friends and I am so scared...

should I just block this person on everything and unsubscribe from them or should I carry on messaging them

please give me good advice guys I'm so scared.

2. jkcerda, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

call the cops when you realize they are pretty much trying to black mail you.

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

You can hide your friends list on Facebook. You can also hide your profile from anyone who isn't your friend or a friend of a friend.

I have mine set up to require that you are a friend of a friend to even see that my profile exists.

I also have it so that even if I friend you, that you can't see anything in my profile at all until I move your name manually into a special group that has permission to see stuff in my profile.

And I also have it set so that nobody can see my friends list.

So Facebook is very manageable.

As for this other person, well... I'd break it off if it was me. I wouldn't want to be hostage.

I don't know what information you gave them. But if it were me, I'd take the hit and move on.

Of course, it's not me. So only you can choose whether you're that worried about the release of whatever information they have.

4. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

ok ill do this now, I'm so scared

5. BasicGreatGuy, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

For some reason, the OP of this thread and the one found here strike me as possibly related. I get the impression that we haven't heard the entire story.

1) Stop giving out personal information to strangers on the internet. It is irresponsible and can be very dangerous.

2) If you want to use social media, don't add anyone as friends and be very mindful of what you say when posting.

3) Do not use personal information (re: names and locale) in account names and other information found on social media outlets.

4) Last, but certainly not least, stop all communication with the internet person in question. The fact that you had to ask if you should stop communicating when you are threatened, should be a red flag to you.

6. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thank you

7. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

In addition to what I posted previously, you can also set it so that all posts to your Facebook wall have to be approved by you.

And yes, I also found a striking similarity between the posts.

8. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

thats not me, and thanks for your reply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.