Need advice: quit playing Minecraft?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Siobhan98, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Siobhan98 macrumors member

I have been playing minecraft for 3 years now with someone, anyway I want to quit minecraft but I know this person I have been playing with will be mad, they know some private things about me I don't want anyone else to know but and I know they will tell my children as they have their email addresses, if you was me would you continue playing and have a boring life or just quit and be nice about it and worst case scenario they tell me children.

Thanks

2. PineapplePound macrumors newbie

I say you leave and tell your children what you did what was so bad

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't understand, why would this person be mad and then tell your children that you quit playing a game? Is there some consequence to the kids knowing you stopped playing a video game?

4. Siobhan98 thread starter macrumors member

the last friend of theres who quit minecraft had a letter sent to their mother with a load of lies and this person was kind about it

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, @SandboxGeneral, I suspect that it is a case of some degree of emotional blackmail. An implied, or possible, threat whereby the other person may well react with the response by saying, well, feel free to stop playing the video game but I will tell your kids some of the stuff you told me about yourself, if you choose to do that.

To the OP: Emotional blackmail is a horrid threat to hold over anyone. Is this an implied threat? An actual threat? Or, just one that you fear may occur as a possible worst consequence?

Either way, it does not reflect well on the nature of the relationship with your playing partner. And - if the threat of emotional blackmail, implied or articulated - is real, it may be time to pull the plug on that relationship.

Even if you acquiesce, the 'games' will not retain any degree of enjoyment, such was the cost of prolonging the experience. Moreover, any relationship negotiated under such circumstances cannot be healthy. And you will despise yourself - for giving in to the threat, just as you may fear the consequences, if you call the person's bluff.

The thing is, though, if you do acquiesce over this, it leaves the person who had wielded this threat with the knowledge that this tactic works, and they may seek to invoke it to involve you in other stuff.

Me, I'd call their bluff. Personally, I would far prefer to torpedo a relationship than be subject to emotional blackmail. As for the children, someday each and every child has to come to terms with the regrettable fact that their adored parent is not god.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2016 ---
    End it.

Nobody deserves that sort of stuff.

6. Siobhan98 thread starter macrumors member

thanks so much, i shall take your advice

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Am I slow and "playing Minecraft" is an allegory, or is it real that someone would get that mad for a video game?

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have no idea. Candidly, I took the request at face value, and tendered advice accordingly.

If there was an added, concealed, hidden, masked layer of meaning, well, then, I have missed it, alas.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

1 ) If you don't want to play anymore, then don't.
    2) Stop sharing private information about your family with people online.

You are in this situation because you made bad decisions. It is time to own up to what you did, and be honest with your family, so that you can free yourself from the tangled web of deceit.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you don't want to play anymore then don't play anymore. Let this person call you a poopyhead or a dum-dum all he/she likes. Are you really so concerned with such a person's opinion?

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Bizarre story.
    Very good advice in this thread.

Don't give strangers personal details you wouldn't even give to your kids.

12. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Please post a copy of the email once your kids receive it.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Some of it boils down to what secret you have. The flip side, this person sounds horrid, so how can you stand playing with them in the first place? Unless you are an axe murderer, even if you are, maybe you should fess up and deal with the consequences. Especially if you've not broken the law, and it's a social preference thing, it maybe rough, but your kids would probably appreciate knowing, if not now, maybe eventually.

14. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The OP sought advice, was given advice, and announced that the advice would - more than likely - be taken.

That's it, end of story, and possibly end of thread: The OP is under no obligation to report back to any of us as to what transpired subsequently.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

No obligation perhaps, but there's still the common "etiquette" of discussions, so to say.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, yes.

Etiquette on the internet.

Something I look forward to seeing in my lifetime....

Sigh.

Well, to be honest, I think that we should allow the OP to disentangle herself (I assume it is a 'herself') from the situation she found herself in, and for which she sought advice, and, once that has been - hopefully - brought to a successful conclusion, we can, perhaps, hope for a brief update.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, there's plenty of it (spoken or unspoken) in various communities, like forums (such as this one). Surely not everyone by far knows, understands, cares, or follows through with all or even some of it, but it's certainly there and there are definitely enough members of such communities that would typically go by it.

19. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

If quitting minecraft (unless it is an allegory of some sort as someone stated) will make your life boring...you may have to look internally and take stock in your life. There are other ventures available in the human experience away from a keyboard.