My Studio build out

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DaReal_Dionysus, Feb 18, 2010.

1. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

I have been working and building a new studio and wanted to get everyones opinion as to the look of the studio. It still has a little work to go but I think I'm almost done.

[​IMG]

Thanks Guys

Neon

2. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Well it certainly looks awesome, but unlike my ex, can it actually do anything? :D

Explanation of what you have going on here would be cool :) There's a few speakers (14 at count) around the place and a time capsule I can see, what else is here? What are you using it for?

:eek:

3. GeraldButton macrumors member

Not to often to I look at another persons setup and say to myself "boy would I love to have that".. but in this case? Boy would I love to have that. Really nice setup, very clean looking and I love the way you have the lights setup.

4. DaReal_Dionysus thread starter macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

Video Editing Suite

Actually what you can't see is the side of the editing desk which contains avid symphony, 3 apple x-serve & 3 Promise VTrak 16x SAS Expansion Chassis (for rendering and storage), Sony DVW-M2000 Digital Betacam Studio VTR with Playback of Digi-Beta, Beta SP, Beta SX, MPEG IMX, and Betacam Oxide,

The speakers on the left and right are for 2 channel mastering and the ones on the bottom THX Lucasfilm certified for 5.1 monitoring and mastering. Along with various other equipment.

5. DaReal_Dionysus thread starter macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

Thanks GB, that was any awesome insite to what you thought, Very much appreciated

6. GeraldButton macrumors member

Id say take a few more photos and let's see the rest? Sounds like you got quite the dandy little studio there.
    Your quite welcome sir.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah, I had to change my shorts after looking at that.

Good stuff. Only complaint is get a bigger flatscreen TV for the wall :D

8. DaReal_Dionysus thread starter macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

LOL Got one coming FSMBP. A 47" Color Correction Screen with scope. Figured it would come in handy.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Lots of goodies, but it doesn't look very conducive to audio mixing or color correcting, IMO. By "other side of the editing desk" I hope you mean "other side of the wall" 'cause having all that gear right next to you doesn't sound like a good time. I get annoyed just w/the fan noise from the Blackmaigc and Tektronix boxes I have sitting in my desk.

Lethal

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Could be pron or disco videos.

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

x2

no broadcast monitor? the flat panel is fine for a client display, but it isn't a substitute for a proper broadcast display.

12. DaReal_Dionysus thread starter macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

Obviously you guys didn't read the post

"It still has a little work to go but I think I'm almost done."

Still have a little work to do.

13. Jodorowsky macrumors newbie

Look, you're posting a picture of $10,000+ studio (that many professional editors would love to have) and asking for input. Then, when you get it, you basically tell the people offering their thoughts that they should buzz off. It sounds like all you really want is reassurance that you didn't blow your 10 grand.

Well, I'm looking at a picture of amazing equipment, not a stack of hard cash, so you definitely did blow your 10(+) grand. But, like everyone who's not to jealous to admit it is saying, you seem to have invested well. There. NOW, field some criticism like a professional. They're just giving you what you (supposedly) want.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I read the post but you never specified what else you are planning to do to the room. If 'a little more work' involves things like getting rid of the different colored lights, properly aligning the audio monitors, moving the loud storage and deck to a different room (or at least a sound deadening cabinet), and treating the room w/sound deadening material then great. If not, I'd suggest you add those things to your list. If you are going to be doing a fair amount of color correction I'd also suggest getting a control panel because doing it w/a mouse is painful by comparison. The Tangent Wave is only $1500, IIRC, and is getting good reviews for being an entry level device. Again, if that's already on your list great, but just by looking at a picture I don't know what's on the to do list and what's not.

Lethal

15. DaReal_Dionysus thread starter macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

Great input LW thanks. I cant hear the storage at all because the sides of the editing desk are enclosed be cooled to keep the equipment running at maximum performance. I don't hear any fan noise at all so I've got that covered and I have Auralex coming in next week to treat the room. But The Tangent Wave sounds very appealing and LW let me ask you this how does the Wave compare to the Euphonix MC Color. I current Have the MC Control, Mix and Transport coming but I was waiting to get some opinions on the color correction hardware.

Big Boss Production screen will be here friday. I have a 47" with scope coming.

Jobor: The Mac alone cost over 10,000 and take it easy i wasn't jumping on anybody i just want him to understand i had one on the way. Touchy touchy Jeez:)

16. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

The Euphonix MC Color is just starting to ship... I'm waiting for reviews of this panel, so I can decide between it and the Wave.

What kind of 47" broadcast monitor do you have coming? The biggest I've seen online is a 40" from eCinema.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, the Euphonix is brand new and I haven't read a whole lot about it yet. A nice thing about the Wave, especially if you are attached to an xSan, is that it is USB so it's totally plug 'n play. IIRC the Euphonix is connected via ethernet.

I'm curious about which b'cast monitor you picked out as well and I'm also curious about where you are going to put it. Something else to consider, before you get even more things up on the walls, is to paint the room a neutral gray color (ideally 18% gray or close to it) and utilize D65 balanced lamps to help keep the room as neutral as possible for color correction.

Lethal

18. DaReal_Dionysus thread starter macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

Big Boss, The Production Screen is a Panasonic with VFM Scope. LW i will be moving the Flap Panel thats present to another room I can also turn off the color lights for when I'm going to do color correction.

19. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

if it's 47", then it isn't a broadcast monitor... the largest one on Panasonic's website is 25.5".

I haven't really liked the quality of Panny's broadcast monitors... I've heard really good things about Flanders Scientific and eCinema, though. You should look into those.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Putting the 47" above you like that is not going to be comfortable at all to look at from your chair and the viewing angle is going to be so extreme that the image isn't going to look right either (unless the Panasonic does an exceptional maintaining image quality w/off axis viewing). I have a big LCD right above me like that, as a client monitor, and I never look at it because of how much I have to crane my neck.

My monitor setup is similar to yours but mine goes, from left to right, 23" ACD, 23" ACD, 24" JVC b'cast monitor, 17" Samsung (for my scopes).

Lethal

21. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

it's probably a Panny plasma (although I'm not sure they offer a 47, I know they have a 42), which has great off-axis viewing. <why i've got one in my living room> But the angle will definitely be uncomfortable.

I've got a JVC b'cast monitor too btw... They were definitely the best value around until the FS lcds.

22. SMP 4JC macrumors newbie

all i have to say is what is your address?
    i would like to edit on this setup for sure.:D

23. DaReal_Dionysus thread starter macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

24. DaReal_Dionysus thread starter macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

HMMMM Good points LW and BigBoss, Maybe I should go with small color correction monitor and go with larger TV like 55 Inch for the wall for when my clients come in.

I will go with this one: 25.5" Panasonic BT-LH2550W HD/SD LCD Production Monitor.

and this for this for the TV: UN55B6000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

All your advice came in well received guys thanks.

25. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I would seriously consider going with the Flanders Scientific Monitor or eCinema Monitor over the Panasonic. I would even put my JVC ahead of the Panny... See if you can go to a local VAR and get a demo of these before you make a purchase. Like I said before, I really haven't liked any of the Panasonic broadcast LCDs I've seen in the past. The FSi's come highly recommended by a lot of the big names on CreativeCOW.