My System Memory i dont understand

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stuart2102, May 3, 2012.

1. stuart2102 macrumors regular

stuart2102

Could anyone knows and educate me on my new imac...i tried to open my Activity Monitor to see my System Memory on how many RAM left or used while im working, im dont understand on color blue (Inactive) 2.50 GB i wonder why i spent 2.50 GB Inactive? where did this come from? so my 8gb used only 3.25GB almost 1gd for Wired and my RAM left is only 1.27GB coz it was eaten by Inactive which is 2.50gb.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

3. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

Thanks GGJstudio...i now know wat is inactive but whooaah i spent to many RAM as an Inactive ahhh will open so many website as well but do you have an idea how to get rid of it? to minize a little my Inactive used RAM?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't want to minimize or get rid of inactive memory. Having inactive memory improves performance. It's still available to any app that needs it, just like free memory. You don't have to worry about memory management, as Mac OS X handles that quite well, without any interference from the user.

The only thing you need to keep an eye on is page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

5. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

Thanks for this information, but i wonder why my imac still suffering crush or hang and bit slower specially editing video

6. simsaladimbamba

Maybe you could provide more details about what exactly happens on what exact Mac with what exact Mac OS X and applications versions to get answers or help.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a different topic than the one you mentioned, and doesn't have anything to do with inactive memory. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources. You can also check Console.app to see if there are any messages that relate to crashes.

8. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

ok thanks for this link...

----------

Actually a bit slower as well, my suspect is not enough RAM to run my video editing software (that is why i ask for Inactive usage) and i(my) guess (not sure) thats the cause of sometimes my imac or my safari browsier crush just speculation im not yet fully equipt on technicality on computer forgive me...

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

10. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

how would put my screen shot here it ask on my url images

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click the links in my last post to learn how.

12. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

ok ill try this if can do it, uhmm ill get back to this tomorow coz its already 12midnight here in my country ill open this tomorow thanks again for the help GGJstudios

Attached Files:

13. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Premiere uses a LOT of horsepower depending on what it's doing; it can slow things down as it transcodes video for example.

Are you saying other stuff crashes? Or just that you want to speed up Premiere?

14. Spike88, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

To keep things simple (and assuming NO stuck processes in background "chewing up" memory), here's a little trick you might want to try….

Go into Applications folder - Utilities Folder and launch Activity Monitor.app. After this program is launched, select its System Memory panel. Notice its FREE Memory is green. Using the mouse button, select the lower Inactive Memory entry and change its color to green. Thus, both FREE and Inactive Memory are green color. Thus, giving you a good visual of remaining memory. Notice its Page out & Swap Used numbers as well.

The trick of "most optimized" memory for a specific iMac system is to install more physical memory - to force its Page out / Swap Used numbers to be 0s. At this level, the iMac has enough physical memory (because it doesn't need to page / thrash with its hard drive). If your iMac system has Page out / Swap Used > 0 values, then install more physical RAM. For example, perhaps 12 GB, 16 GB, 24 GB or perhaps max 32 GB of physical ram (based on your iMac's unique usage).

If wondering, my "typical home usage" iMac with "NO Gaming" runs best at 12 GBs of RAM. Based on visual, it might even run best at 8 GBs of max physical RAM. But, I installed total of 12 GBs instead (to allow some future demand growth). Your iMac may need 16 GBs or perhaps the max RAM amount your unique iMac can physically take.

Note: RAM is low cost these days. Thus… Always best to install as much RAM as you can afford (that will also fit inside your specific iMac). In my iMac's case, I installed 12 GBs (little more than what's really needed).

For picture of my iMac's RAM and its System Memory values, see below:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps….

15. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

Sometimes some programs that i open crush it too...my safari and others dont respose sometimes and dont know what happen

----------

Thanks for this advise...

16. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

skype will stand your computer still. you have skype running. it depends on your net connection and your buddies connection . skype may be your problem

17. stuart2102 thread starter macrumors regular

stuart2102

OOhhh REally? hmmm but i cant close my skype coz this is my way of communcation hehehe what about "KERNEL_TASK"? it usage is quite bigger how does it works in my computer? what is the function of that? "Kernel_Task" is more bigger consume than my skype

18. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

kernel task is the actual operating system. you are not tied up in the cpu use. my guess is this is a network issue due to skype. look at my screen shot of the network. then see the jump when I downloaded the first screen shot to mac rumors 3kb to 226kb . try and see what skype is doing on your system. run the system with no skype and check network then run with skype and check.

your digi internet is a lot see what it does along with skype on network used. if you are over 1000kb or 1mb it may be a problem a lot depends on your net hookup. long use of skype triggers slowdown by some networks as skype hogs up a lot of bandwidth.

Attached Files: