My thoughts on Pre compared....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gix1k, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Here is one of the biggest issues I have my the iPhone...When I tap sms/email, etc. it's takes seconds to actually open that. I get a blank white screen and then boom, the app. From what I am seeing from all the Pre demos...this thing is tap and right now you have the app. I love that. I hope 3.0 fixes this issue or i wish there was a fix for it.
    Lastly, I went from G1 on Tmobile to Sprint Instinct. That was a POS so I got the iPhone. I dont want to go back to Sprint for the Pre, but I will. I just can't continue to swap carriers just to get "iPhone killers" that never even come close.

later

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

It's not even out yet so how do you know what it does? It's just demo's and that's all. Lets way for the Pre to come out 1st and then compare them.

3. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I'll believe it when I see it myself. That's all I'm saying.;)

4. matttye macrumors 601

I wouldn't trust that to happen in the release version..

The iPhone 3G advert showed the iPhone running instantly like that, but does it happen when you have it in your hands? No it doesn't ;)

5. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Ya...I was thinking that. The last demo on macrumors homepage makes it seem really quick. Howard Stern got to play with the Pre yesterday. He'll give a review on Monday of it.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

But unless he get's to use the iPhone in that time, he won't really be able to judge the two before talking about the Pre...

7. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I doubt stern's review will be really in depth :p

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

that's true if he was making a comparative review, but just because he's reviewing the pre doesn't mean it has to be compared to the iPhone.

9. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

My concerns over the Pre are: 1. anemic battery life - I have yet to read anything on how long the battery lasts on a charge, 2. limited app support - I believe the iphone and android will receive the lion share of app support, followed by wm and blackberry.... There are starting to become too many cell phone OSes.

10. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Yea, because we all know that Stern is a very reliable source for info on anything :rolleyes: Unless he is reviewing something round and soft, he is pretty much useless. IMO he’s pretty much useless period.

11. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I agree howie stern is a wig wearing idiot...amazing people listen to the clown

12. paxamime macrumors newbie

Has anyone seen anything regarding battery life? That seems like it might be the silent killer in the whole Pre vs iPhone thing.

13. marcol macrumors regular

Those are a couple of the unknowns to worry about. The big problem we do know about (IMO) is storage capacity, at least for this first gen device. 8 GB (no expansion) in 2009 just ain't cutting for me. Deal-breakingly so I think. 32 GB would have me not juggling anything on and off the device except video and that's what I hope the next iPhone will deliver. Back to 8 GB doesn't really bear thinking about.

14. marcol macrumors regular

15. paxamime macrumors newbie

For my own usage 8 GB is more than enough for what I need. I have just never quite gotten into the whole MP3 player in my cell phone thing. Its nice to have a device that can do it if you want to but not esential in my opinion.

Most important of all of the unknowns for me is battery life. The iPhone is about as low as I could possibly go and for anything to convince me to buy it needs to be better.

16. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Doesn't the Pre support some form of SD (micro-SD?) card for storage in addition to its primary storage?

17. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

That is one of my main concerns with iphone. I currently have a 32GB touch. I use it about an hour daily week days going to/from work for music, news, games, etc. I normally have to charge it once a week. I can only imagine how often the iphone will need to be recharged assuming my touch usage with cell/3g running. Will it need a daily (or twice daily) charge? :confused: I'd rather carry one device for cell, PDA, music, etc instead of two.

18. marcol macrumors regular

19. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

and also realize that the messages slow down on the iPhone usually occurs more when you have more messages stored on the phone, so how do you know that the inbox wasn't all cleared out in the Pre in all the demos which caused it to open fast. The Pre has a better processor and everything, you can' really compare it to the current iPhone, but you will be able to compare it to the next iPhone, since they will release at pretty similar times.

Its year old technology compared to technology that SHOULD release at the end of this month. SHOULD.

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

21. TechWhore macrumors regular

I'll tell you what I have been checking out some actual real time videos of the Pre in use, and wow I am impressed.

I hope Apple steps up the game on the next iPhone release, otherwise, I'm heading back to VZW when the Pre is released with them. Better phone, better network, sounds like a win win situation.

22. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

My 3g can last the whole day on a full charge.

23. northy014 macrumors regular

Except webOS apps are built on Java, HTML, CSS, which far more devs have experience with than Objective-C for the iPhone...

24. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

There are quite a few unknowns with the Pre.

That said, at the least, I'd like to see Apple use multitasking with the main features of the iPhone. For example, if I get a call in the middle of a game, I'd like to return to the game without waiting for load screens, etc. Basically, any time I'm interrupted, my active application remains instantly available upon return. Any other time, I don't mind opening the application.

25. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

First, how robust will those web-style applications be, particularly when accessing the hardware features of the Pre? Personally, I think the Pre's development choices are one reason they can afford to multitask so freely, but then again - we haven't seen the battery life yet. I have apps on my iPhone which drain the battery within hours, I'd hate to have them running in the background.

Second, the iPod touch greatly multiplies the target audience for iPhone developers. Given that the Pre is on Sprint, I'm not sure what kind of market penetration the Pre will initially see. Even if it matches the iPhone in sales each quarter, the existing iPhone user base along with the iPod touch user base makes the iPhone a much more profitable target.

Third, anyone who's interested in selling mobile applications to people ready to pay can learn Obj-C pretty quickly.