Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Essential:

1. SBSettings

Goes without saying, every person who jailbreaks uses this. The ability to quickly toggle WiFi, Bluetooth, 3G, Data, Brightness, LED flashlight, etc is pretty essential for a smartphone experience. Not only that but SBSettings can do all these things even from the lockscreen! :eek:

SBSettings also has the nice option its settings of being able to hide individual apps you don't want (gamecenter, stocks, itunes, etc) in order to keep your home screen clean of clutter.

2. Callbar

I hate that when a call came in before, whatever I was doing I would have to stare at the incoming call until it finally went to my voicemail and I could go back to whatever I was doing. With Callbar I no longer have that obtrusive incoming call screen as I am simply notified via a status bar notification and I can continue with whatever I am currently doing.

3. Navigate From Maps

I LOVE Navigon. Love it Love it Love it. Turn-by-turn directions with onboard maps make for a great experience. The only problem is the fact that Navigon doesn't have a map you can see of the destinations you are searching for in relation to where you are at. To explain this better say you search for a POI nearby and type in "starbucks" Navigon will give you a list of starbucks sorted by distance away from you. Well, what if the closest one is 5 miles east from me but I really want to go westward? Navigon wont tell you that.

Thats where Navigate from Maps comes in handy. It lets me go into the native iPhone Maps application, show me a map of my current location, shows on the map where I am searching for is at, then allows me to simply click on the destination I want to go (from inside the Maps app) and Navigon will start giving me spoken directions there. Truly the best of both worlds (Maps + Navigon) :)

4. BiteSMS

In addition to the obtrusive, and annoying, incoming call issue (solved by callbar above) the stock Messaging application is equally annoying in the fact that in order to replay you normally have to exit out of whatever you are doing and switch to the messaging app, compose your text, send it, then finally switch back to whatever you were doing in the first place.

With BiteSMS I have the convenience, like with callbar, of being able reply to a text message within whatever application I am in, and continue on without having to go out of my original application

5. Phone GV Extension
6. SMS GV Extension

The iPhone Google Voice application on the iPhone is pretty bad, not as elegant or streamlined as the stock messaging app. You have to open up this ugly app which takes a little bit to update your conversations and are sometimes out of order.

With GV extensions the Google Voice experience is built right into the stock messaging and phone app's. Makes texting and calling people alot simpler and less cluttered, not to mention the best part: It makes Google Voice free texting work with BiteSMS! :D

7. Snes9x ex

Oh MOMMA! I saved one of the very best essentials for last :p

IMO the iPhone has the potential to be a great gaming platform, but for some reason Apple has yet to make a physical controller for the iPhone that would turn it into a legitimate gaming machine.

Btw I'm talking REAL games (Zelda, Metroid, Super Mario World, etc) not kiddy games like Angry Birds, Tiny Wings, Cut the Rope.

Well, here it is. The solution to it all. Snes9x has the ability not only to play real classic, console quality games... but can also pair a bluetooth wiimote with your iPhone so you have a physical controller to play these games with!!! All this for the fantastic price of completely FREE ;)

***simply download BTstack in order to pair your wiimote to play games

Very nice to have:

8. iFile

Turns your iPhone into a wireless flash drive. All you have to do is have your iPhone and computer to be connected to the same wifi network, type in a particular URL into your computer browser so link up to your iPhone, and upload/transfer whatever you want to from your computer to your iPhone and vice versa. It also allows you to delete, move, or rename files you currently have directly from your iPhone.

9. iBlacklist

This application is nice to have because it allows you to blacklist anyone from calling/texting you except for those you want to.

So lets say you have a girlfriend who might want to call you up late at night for a lil' dirty talk, of course that is fine and your willing to be woken up for that but if you don't have your phone on mute then you might get a random call waking you up from a friend that you really didn't want to be woken up for. Simply enable iBlacklist call/message blocking, create an exception for your sweet talking girlfriend, and go to sleep knowing that the only person that will be waking you up is the one you want to wake you up :cool:

And because I'm OCD:

10. Springtomize 2

Springtomize 2 is simply amazing for those that want to customize the look of their iPhone. The tweaks I do with this are the following:
- Dock: Hide dock
- Icons: Disable all badges (the badges annoy the hell out of me :mad:), 5 rows (since I hide the dock and have an extra row)
- Folders: Disable badges, Auto close, Use custom number - 5
- Status bar: Hide carrier name
- Pages: Hide dots, Disable spotlight (never use it)

11. IconRenamer

I don't like it when you have an app with a name that is longer than the actual square space the app takes up (making the app next to it look strange and crunched together), with this I can rename "Soundhound" into "S-Hound" to save space and make my apps look clean.

12. StartDial

Most of the time when I open up my phone application I want to dial a #. I didn't like how if I last was looking at contacts in my phone app, and then was driving in my car and wanted to dial a phone # I would open the phone app and it would display the contacts still. With StartDial every time I open my phone app it goes directly to my dial screen for extra convenience.

13. Springflash

As you can see above I use SBSettings alot and Springflash gives you the ability to toggle your LED light on and off for those few times you are reaching for your keys at night and need a light to see the keyhole. Since you can use SBSettings directly from your lockscreen this tweak turns your iPhone into a legitimate flashlight.

14. KillBackground

Even though I know that iOS handles apps in the background by itself without any assistance I can't help myself... I close out apps completely in the app switcher so they are 100% not in the background anymore. It was annoying though to always have to double-click the home button, hold down on one of the background apps, then tap each one of their - symbols to close them out one by one. With KillBackground I can simply double-click the home button, press one button on the bottom left corner of the appswitcher, and close out every background app with one action.

Edit: RolledUp20s gave the following tweaks which are great

15. Zephyr

Makes it so simple to get to your appswitcher, home screen, or switching applications.

If you are at your home screen, simply swipe up from the bottom of the screen to see your background apps in the appswitcher. This makes it even easier to use KillBackground and not to have to wear out my home button.

If you are in an app, simply swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get to your home screen (no button needed)

16. Activator

This application already comes pre-installed as soon as you download SBSettings and allows you to set any sort of swipe, tap, or even button presses to do any action you want.

The 4 things I personally have it do are the following:

- Double press home button = open Camera

Amazing tweak that makes it so you never miss a camera shot. I am all about efficiency so this saves you time when you are trying to get that picture perfect moment. Whether your phone is turned off or your in an application the second you are only a double click away from taking a picture.

- Swipe from status bar left to right = open SBSettings
- Volume down button short hold = open SBSettings
- Swipe from status bar right to left = open BiteSMS

17. LSAlwaysShowMediaControls

Due to the activator tweak above, it makes it so that when you are in your car and listening to music if you double press the home button it will open the camera app... instead of pulling up the music controls on your lockscreen like normal. With this free tweak you can always have the music controls on your lockscreen every time you turn your phone on, without having to double press the home button. Great for when your in your car and want to skip a particular song without having to look at your phone to navigate to the music app.

So for a compiled list of Jailbreak apps/tweaks:
1. SBSettings
2. Callbar
3. Navigate from maps
4. BiteSMS
5. Phone GV extension
6. SMS GV extension
7. Snes9x
8. iFile
9. iBlacklist
10. Springtomize 2
11. IconRenamer
12. StartDial
13. Springflash
14. KillBackground
15. Zephyr
16. Activator
17. LSAlwaysShowMediaControls

Attachments

• IMG_0036.png
    IMG_0036.png
    811.9 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
List of installed packages::
* 3G Unrestrictor 5
* Activator
* Alarming
* AndroidLock XT
* App Stat
* AppInfo
* Applocker
* appslide
* Barrel
* Bolt
* BossPaper
* CallBar
* Caller ID Faker
* Crash Reporter
* CyDelete
* Cylay
* Cyntact
* Display Recorder
* DisplayOut
* f.lux
* FakeClockUp
* FolderEnhancer
* HapticPro
* iAP Cracker
* iBlank
* iCaughtU Pro
* iFile
* Infinidock
* IntelliID
* iSHSHit
* Landscape Lock Rotation
* Lockscreen Clock Hide
* MarkThatMessage
* MessWithWords
* MewSeek
* Mobile Substrate
* MultiIconMover
* MyWi 5.0
* MyWi OnDemand
* No Bookmarks
* No Passcode Block
* NoLockScreen
* OpenSSH
* PandoraSkip
* PasswordPilot
* Remove Background
* SBSettings
* SMSThief
* Snappy5
* SpringFlash
* Springtomize 2 *- iOS 5+
* Substrate Safe Mode
* Syslog Toggle
* TCP optimizer
* TetherMe
* TV Tube Sleep
* Typophone 4
* Update Hider for iOS 5
* whozcalling
* WiFi Passwords
* WinterBoard
* Zephyr

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Great list. I use everything you listed and more!

If anything I wanted to make a list not only for others to see whats out there but also to have it documented so if I ever have to restore my phone I know every app/tweak I used before.

Mind if I ask whats the "more" that you have so I'm not missing anything?

* 3G Unrestrictor 5
* Activator
* Alarming
* AndroidLock XT
* App Stat
* AppInfo
* Applocker
* appslide
* Barrel
* Bolt
* BossPaper
* CallBar
* Caller ID Faker
* Crash Reporter
* CyDelete
* Cylay
* Cyntact
* Display Recorder
* DisplayOut
* f.lux
* FakeClockUp
* FolderEnhancer
* HapticPro
* iAP Cracker
* iBlank
* iCaughtU Pro
* iFile
* Infinidock
* IntelliID
* iSHSHit
* Lockscreen Clock Hide
* MarkThatMessage
* MessWithWords
* MewSeek
* Mobile Substrate
* MultiIconMover
* MyWi 5.0
* MyWi OnDemand
* No Bookmarks
* No Passcode Block
* NoLockScreen
* OpenSSH
* PandoraSkip
* PasswordPilot
* Remove Background
* SBSettings
* SMSThief
* Snappy5
* SpringFlash
* Substrate Safe Mode
* Syslog Toggle
* TCP optimizer
* TetherMe
* TV Tube Sleep
* Typophone 4
* Update Hider for iOS 5
* whozcalling
* WiFi Passwords
* WinterBoard
* Zephyr

Wow :eek:

Thanks for giving me your list Melissa :) I'll have to go through these as well (though it will take awhile ;)) to see if theres more good stuff I could use.

Last edited:

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Very nice description and information. Thanks for the navigate from maps tip :)

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
SiriToggles Launch apps, Enable/Disable wifi and bluetooth etc. with Siri

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
* 3G Unrestrictor 5
* Activator
* Alarming
* AndroidLock XT
* App Stat
* AppInfo
* Applocker
* appslide
* Barrel
* Bolt
* BossPaper
* CallBar
* Caller ID Faker
* Crash Reporter
* CyDelete
* Cylay
* Cyntact
* Display Recorder
* DisplayOut
* f.lux
* FakeClockUp
* FolderEnhancer
* HapticPro
* iAP Cracker
* iBlank
* iCaughtU Pro
* iFile
* Infinidock
* IntelliID
* iSHSHit
* Lockscreen Clock Hide
* MarkThatMessage
* MessWithWords
* MewSeek
* Mobile Substrate
* MultiIconMover
* MyWi 5.0
* MyWi OnDemand
* No Bookmarks
* No Passcode Block
* NoLockScreen
* OpenSSH
* PandoraSkip
* PasswordPilot
* Remove Background
* SBSettings
* SMSThief
* Snappy5
* SpringFlash
* Substrate Safe Mode
* Syslog Toggle
* TCP optimizer
* TetherMe
* TV Tube Sleep
* Typophone 4
* Update Hider for iOS 5
* whozcalling
* WiFi Passwords
* WinterBoard
* Zephyr

Sweet mercy! How does your phone perform? Must be sluggish as hell.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Sweet mercy! How does your phone perform? Must be sluggish as hell.

I was wondering this too, dunno if I've ever seen anyone have that many jailbreak tweaks running at once. I'd be interested in melissa's answer :)

RolledUp20s

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
Thanks for this, i had most of these before i had to restore my iphone, just reminded me of them again :)

Can i make a suggestion? Download Zephyr, it has a sweet gesture for bringing up the background app switcher, you just swipe from bottom of the screen. I know activator can do this but Zephyr is much smoother.
Also, regarding the camera..i used activator to set 'double press home button' from anywhere, including when screen is off...to open the camera straight away. This is great as you dont miss a 'photo op' ever :)

Oh & your OCD - im like that lol

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Glad you all like the Navigate From Maps tweak, always happy to spread the knowledge :)

Good set of tweaks you have. Navigate from maps is usually the app i showcase to sell jailbreakin to people on the fence.

Its one of those apps that just makes perfect sense!

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
I use most of the ones you listed plus infinifolder, barrel, zephyr, activator,intelliscreenX, move2unlock, byta font and color keyboard.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Thanks for the headsup. I just purchased Callbar and Springtomize2 and installed other free tweaks you suggested. Thanks mate :)

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for this, i had most of these before i had to restore my iphone, just reminded me of them again :)

Can i make a suggestion? Download Zephyr, it has a sweet gesture for bringing up the background app switcher, you just swipe from bottom of the screen. I know activator can do this but Zephyr is much smoother.
Also, regarding the camera..i used activator to set 'double press home button' from anywhere, including when screen is off...to open the camera straight away. This is great as you dont miss a 'photo op' ever :)

Oh & your OCD - im like that lol

These are awesome suggestions thanks for taking the time to tell me and explaining your setup since they are great tweaks the way you implement them :D

I was used to swiping up from the bottom of the screen to do stuff with Activator but it was hit or miss. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't which would annoy me. Zephyr though is so much more smooth and fluid its crazy (I wonder why Activator isn't this smooth for the same motion? :confused:)

I went ahead and took your great suggestion on the 'double press home button' to start the camera. This really is the best way to make sure you never miss a picture and can take one instantly no matter if your phone is off or if your in an application.

The only problem for myself was that before this tweak if my phone was off and I set 'double press home button' to open the camera app then if I was in my car listening to music that I was used to double pressing the home button to bring up music controls at the lockscreen. Now with that action opening the camera app I needed to find a way to get music controls back on the lockscreen so when I'm in my car I can skip a song without having to unlock my iPhone. I ended up finding a perfect one: LSAlwaysShowMediaControls.

This tweak goes ahead and makes it so that the music controls are always on the lockscreen for easy access in the car while I'm driving. The only thing I had to change in order for this tweak to work was going into Springtomize 2 and changing 'Lockscreen -> Always show camera icon -> off'. I used to always have the camera icon on my lockscreen but since I will always have it a double click away from now on I no longer need it.

Thanks again RolledUp20s, really appreciate the good suggestions and insight :)

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion of StartDial, I love that I can choose what screen the Phone app opens to (I prefer it open up to the Favorites).

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
These are awesome suggestions thanks for taking the time to tell me and explaining your setup since they are great tweaks the way you implement them :D

I was used to swiping up from the bottom of the screen to do stuff with Activator but it was hit or miss. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't which would annoy me. Zephyr though is so much more smooth and fluid its crazy (I wonder why Activator isn't this smooth for the same motion? :confused:)

I went ahead and took your great suggestion on the 'double press home button' to start the camera. This really is the best way to make sure you never miss a picture and can take one instantly no matter if your phone is off or if your in an application.

The only problem for myself was that before this tweak if my phone was off and I set 'double press home button' to open the camera app then if I was in my car listening to music that I was used to double pressing the home button to bring up music controls at the lockscreen. Now with that action opening the camera app I needed to find a way to get music controls back on the lockscreen so when I'm in my car I can skip a song without having to unlock my iPhone. I ended up finding a perfect one: LSAlwaysShowMediaControls.

This tweak goes ahead and makes it so that the music controls are always on the lockscreen for easy access in the car while I'm driving. The only thing I had to change in order for this tweak to work was going into Springtomize 2 and changing 'Lockscreen -> Always show camera icon -> off'. I used to always have the camera icon on my lockscreen but since I will always have it a double click away from now on I no longer need it.

Thanks again RolledUp20s, really appreciate the good suggestions and insight :)

You might also want to try using "up short hold" and "down short hold" for the volume buttons in activator for next/previous track. That way you don't even need to turn the screen on or look at the device to change songs. That's what I do when I'm not using headphones with button controls (I can change songs without even taking my phone out of my pocket).

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

LockInfo- no more clicking the calendar app to see wtf I have planned
3Gunrestrictor to annoy Verizon
Pandora Skip to ad block pandora.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I had 172 on my iPhone 4 and it ran fine (aside from taking a looong time to boot).

Well I'm pretty sure all these things running in the background will still kill the battery a lot faster.

Meh, I like to keep just a handful of tweaks. And now I'm using Siri on iPhone 4 as well. Works perfectly too! :D

plainwhitetay

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
North-east, Indiana
Very great list and really liking how this thread is looking.

I just have one question regarding SBSettings being THE jailbreak app. I'm not trying to attack, just wondering. Why does everyone feel the need for it to enable/disable wifi, Bluetooth, etc? My first thought is battery life, but I leave my wifi and Bluetooth enabled always and my brightness I never mess with because my battery will last a full day without me worrying about that stuff. So all the people who feel the toggles a necessity need the battery life that I apparently don't or is there something else I'm not seeing?

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
Well I'm pretty sure all these things running in the background will still kill the battery a lot faster.

Meh, I like to keep just a handful of tweaks. And now I'm using Siri on iPhone 4 as well. Works perfectly too! :D

Which route did you go with to get Siri working? Having some issues myself. :(

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
SBSetting to me seems like a battery hog.

Don't get me wrong, I used to use it all the time but, for iOS 5 [A5 JB] it seems like it was draining my battery. Also, for some reason, the 'Respring' would freeze every time I used it. So I removed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.