My Vertex 3 SSD is too full!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarkFlame, Apr 30, 2011.

1. DarkFlame macrumors regular

So, has anyone noticed any issues when completely filling up a Vertex 3? Mine is about 25% full and I want to throw my Itunes library on it, leaving it at about 70% full. I've heard in the past that keeping the drive at least 50% full is crucial to it's performance, but that it may not be the case with newer drives.

Anyone have any first hand experience? I don't mind playing my music off my network/external drive if it will hinder performance on my drive AT ALL, but if I can be assured it won't - then I'll just do it.

Thoughts?

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I have owned over 20 ssds.
    no vertex 3's but

three vertex 2's

I found staying under 2/3 thirds worked fine.

It also depends on the drive.

I had a patriot inferno 200gb it is a clone of the owc 200gb and it is over provided for garbage collection. same as the 240gb version with 40 gb setup for garbage.

that patriot drive was fast up to about 160 or 165 gb. which is 80 percent of 200gb but still 2/3 of 240gb.

right now I have an intel series 320 300 gb with about 100gb empty still very fast.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

You won't do any damage to your SSD by filling it up. There is however an increase in the likehood of experiencing a slight slow down. Its really not a huge deal for most users. I'd recommend you move your stuff over and see if you can live with the performance. I suspect you won't even be able to notice a real world difference.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Newer SSDs are over provisioned to allow space for bad cell allocation etc, so you don't need to worry about it. This is why for example, you buy a SSD with 128GB of flash memory but only 120GB is available for use.