My water sensor has been tripped, HOW?!?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shanew21, Jul 3, 2009.

1. shanew21 macrumors regular

After seeing the numerous threads around the forums on these water sensors that are in the iPhone, I decided to check my brand new, 2 week old iPhone 3GS to make sure that I was in the clear.

But I'm not. The water sensor (the headphone one, not the dock connector one) has been tripped, and I have NO IDEA how. The phone has never been exposed to water, and even has a case around it so that water will not get in or on it.

Then how is my water sensor tripped? My phone is 2 weeks old! I guess I just have to hope that it never breaks, or I'm screwed.

2. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

that sucks.

do you live in a humid area? workout with it? abnormally sweaty hands? expose it to steam while you shower?

who knows...

3. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

It can be set off by just looking at your iPhone wrong. It's pretty crappy. My iPod touch's got set off too. I have no idea how. It's never been in contact with water a day in its life.

4. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

..change it back to white ;)

que, moral elitists....

5. shanew21 thread starter macrumors regular

I live in Dallas but I recently took a trip down to Austin. It was humid there. I wonder if that is what caused it. Is my warranty still valid if the dock connector water sensor has not been tripped?

6. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

if you have apple care, you can get a one time water damage swap for 2bills.

7. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Nope, unfortunately you're out of luck. :(

8. shanew21 thread starter macrumors regular

So you are telling me that Apple is voiding my warranty because I took a vacation to a humid city?

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no, apple is voiding your warranty because your water sensor has been tripped

10. matttye macrumors 601

The water sensors are in ridiculous places on the phone.

The might as well have put them on the outside of the phone, they're so easy to trip.

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Just explain your story and ask them to take apart the phone and check the sensor inside it...as it's unlikely to have tripped. Same thing for the one in the dock connector

The headphone sensor is the most vulnerable as its the most exposed of all 3. 2 out of 3 sensors should make a good case for you

12. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Yes, these sensors are in ridiculous places. Every other water sensor I've seen is under the battery. But, well, that isn't possible with the iPhone.

13. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

if you take a flashlight and shine it in your dock connector slot, you can see the water sensor from an angle, so you can check to see if that one's tripped as well.

if it is, your chances are pretty much nil.

14. njl macrumors regular

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

shine a light down your headphone jack

if its pink, its been tripped

if its white, it hasnt

16. njl macrumors regular

17. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

As others have said, your best option is to simply go directly to Apple and explain the situation, that the phone has never been anywhere near water and yet the sensor is still tripped. They should offer to open the phone and verify no other sensors are tripped and make a determination if they can swap it out as a warranty problem.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I've never had to return anything with Apple or AT&T (lucky I guess). Are they really that reasonable?

19. Switz213 macrumors 6502

They are VERY reasonable with returns. If you say you have a problem, but they don't see it, they will USUALLY still replace the phone. HOWEVER. The one case where they are very tough to get any leeway is when the water sensors are tripped. If you are calm, nice, but assertive, you may be able to sway them. Don't start screaming and hollering. That will get you no where.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's what I was referring to, the water sensors. Has anyone found them to be reasonable with that issue. From the threads I'm seeing, it seems like if ANY water sensor is tripped (even the headphone jack), they just void your warranty.

21. shanew21 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's the idea that I got. I will go to the apple store tomorrow and see if this is the case.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wouldn't more than one sensor get tripped (dock connector?) if it was the result of traveling to a humid city?

23. Mac In School macrumors 65816

You haven't mentioned it, but I assume there's nothing actually wrong with your phone?

Make an appointment with the local Genius bar, take it in, and give them your story. Explain that there's nothing wrong with it. Be nice, and hope for the best.

Think about it. These guys probably hear "it's never been exposed to water" all day long. If you're a genius, are you going to believe the guy with the dead phone and the liquid indicator tripped, or the guy with a perfectly working phone and the liquid indicator tripped? In other words, go in before something does go wrong with your phone.

I, for one, do not believe that the indicators are in a bad place. There are soooooooooooo many components in that thing (bluetooth, wifi, dock connection, headphone jack, cpu, ram, etc. oh yeah, and a phone) that I think a phone could suffer water damage before water got to a spot below the battery. Especially if it came in from the other end. Think about it... If the battery is on the bottom (I have no idea where it actually is) you could set the top in glass of water, top-first, and kill it without tripping the indicator.