My Website (for those interested in art)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JWest, Sep 22, 2008.

1. JWest macrumors 6502

For those interested, I got my website up. It's a website for my artwork. I'll be constantly adding to it, so be sure to look for updates in the future. Anywho, anyone who's interested should take a look, 'twould be much appreciated :)

www.jweststudio.com

2. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Great work! I've always been envious of art folks. I use to love art as a teenager; had great ideas but I just didn't have the talent to convert my imagination into good art work.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

4. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Well that was nice. :rolleyes:

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Your rubbish.
    I thought it was cool.

6. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the compliments (well, to most of you anyway :p)!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The art is perfectly nice, but the website itself is a little... lacking. The fonts don't render at all correctly for me in FF3 on Ubuntu, nothing is sized right, the navigation is dreadful, etc. You'd honestly do a lot better vis-à-vis web design if you just used RapidWeaver or iWeb or the like. Sorry...

8. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

I did use iWeb actually :)

I'm not sure why it won't render properly for you. Maybe try a different browser?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How did you end up with that out of iWeb?

And no, I don't think I'll be abandoning Firefox anytime soon so that I can view your website... ;) FWIW my own iWeb website works fine in FF3.

10. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

Hehe, I didn't mean abandon it to view my site, I meant just give it a shot and let me know if it works with a different browser, so I know it's nothing I did.

Can you post a screen? It looks beautiful on my computer, so I don't know what it looks like to you.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It does look a bit amateurish on Safari here.

12. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I'm going to have to agree with jimmi and mkrishnan. The design of the website is very lacking. And I have to be honest, so are the drawings. Keep up the work, though.

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

What? I thought all artists were snoody bastards. At least that's what my professors lead me to believe. :p

14. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

The site itself looks a bit unkempt from a design perspective and could use a bit more colour or if you like the grayscale, simply make it more minimalistic and precise.

The artwork itself is good. To be honest, you can tell you're a student, but it looks like already you're getting you're own style - keep it up!

Don't listen to people who give you a bad rap without explanation their criticism... The thing with art is whether you enjoy it or not - not whether someone else enjoys it or not. Art is interpretive; just pour your emotions into your artwork and you'll progress naturally and do fine.

15. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, constructive criticism help :)

I've been constantly tweaking the site, so I'll play around with some other design ideas to make it a bit more professional. Hopefully I'll be getting Dreamweaver CS4 sometime soon, which would help a lot, as iWeb isn't exactly robust.

Thanks for the comments guys!

16. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

iWeb is a very limited (and stylized) program, and while there are those who are able to do amazing things with it, it certainly involves a lot of effort to achieve these things - time better spent learning HTML and CSS. Alternatively, as you say, spend the money and get CS4. Unfortunately, to really take control of your graphics I suspect you will need Illustrator and Photoshop as well as Dreamweaver = $$$$ -> Adobe.

A couple of threads to give you some perspective:

(1) This guy has the exact same menu as you once you go into his portfolio: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=181763&highlight=grapevine+design

(2) On this thread there are some good designs: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=181763&highlight=grapevine+design

Have you thought about using Joomla!? http://www.joomla.org/ You need to have a host that allows you to upload PHP, which may cost more per month, but nowhere near the cost of CS4 and there are many extensions written for it which make content management a breeze. Don't be scared off by the PHP, their easy to follow instructions is very much a gently gently hand holding approach.

17. voxnj macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing your site. It's great to see young artists building online portfolios. Keep experimenting and learning.

As an artist, you will always face people who make judgments about your work. Some of it you just have to let roll-off. It takes some courage to "publish." I look forward to seeing more. I wish you much luck.

18. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Great advice.

Kudos voxnj nice post.

19. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

I've cleaned up and adjusted the site a bit more, hopefully it looks less "amateurish".

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It still does, TBH.
    The 'update' text is all wrong. It's way too large and overpowering. The menu on the left... Lose the shadows, make the text smaller.
    Overall it runs very badly in IE. Unlike all the other windows I have open its very slow to resize and scroll.
    The menu completely changes when you load up a sub-page, why is that?

Drop shadows are not a shortcut to awesome-ville. They're much too dark on your site and it doesn't work with it too well.

21. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

It looks sub par, not bad for a first site. Take a look at sites you like and take note of the design elements. Don't copy their stuff, just ask yourself why it works, and apply it to your site. Do something about the title image of your site, use a different compression or something. That's the first thing people take notice of. As far as your art goes, keep going at it.