My wish list (non-geek) for iOS 8 that I now have to wait another year.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by matrix07, Jun 15, 2014.

1. matrix07, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

1. Convert currency/distance/etc. in Spotlight like you can do it in Yosemite. (Everyone will love this. Pull down on Home Screen then type the number and it convert.
    You should also be able to select and copy the result.
    Yes, you can ask SiRi but this is simpler.
    Also you should be able to use Spotlight for mathematic calculation. For example: 35%of34800, or 129+567/42)

2. Mail conversation in iPad, just like in OSX.

3. Group e-mail.

4. Back To My Mac. To access my Mac on my iPad using my Apple ID. (so I can get rid of TeamViewer.)

5. Quick event in Calendar where you can type naturally like in OSX.

6. Dark Mode. Thank C DM.

7. Night mode on Maps. Thanks MisakixMikasa

This is purely from non-geek perspective. What are yours? (only non-geek please)

2. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

3. i0Nic macrumors 65816

4. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

I guess to matrix07 you count as a "geek", because you know something about technology. Although I find this differentiation to be a little insulting anyways.

Still, what is group e-Mail?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

6. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

This is just DP1 - things can change significantly (and often do) between DP1 and launch. I'd recommend using the Bug Reporter app to suggest those features.

7. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Not insulted anyone. Just thought there should be a thread for ordinary users. :)
    And yes, default applications is a bit too geeky.

Send email to all recipients in my Contact group.

----------

1 Yay for Dark Mode!

----------

What you posted is encouraging. :)

And 5. Quick event in Calendar where you can type naturally like in OSX.

8. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Okay, I get the ordinary user thing now.

I want iPad to be more like a computer with windows/multiple apps open. Although I do think I am kind of a geek as well this wish of mine is fairly easy to get and not that far fetched...

9. zedsdead macrumors 68040

It DRIVES ME CRAZY that there is now way to message groups natively, even though we are up to iOS8. It is so important to business and education. Does Apple even use their own devices? How have they not noticed this.

Dark mode would definitely be cool.

Features for me:

FIX THE MUSIC APP! Ruined with iOS7...namely the ability to sort Artists->Albums and have them in folders and in some sort of logical order (alphabetical).

10. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

... or, even better, an f.lux-alike?

11. ominx macrumors 6502

I think we are closer to a f.lux like option than most people think with the new white point setting.

Attached Files:

12. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

1. Tap to unlock.

2. Dark keyboard... Could achievable via third party keyboard.

3. Night mode on Maps,

4. Change default apps or let me choice which app I want to use for certain actions.

5. Task monitor or some short...

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I just want them to give us the OSX junk mail filter.

14. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Wow! Didn't know it's that bad. I kind of like it before (iOS 5 on iPhone) where you can tap on the album on Cover Flow view and it will flip back to show lyric. Pretty cool. Now the music app is just too bleak for me so I lost interest.

----------

This should be a no-brainer. Night mode in iBook but not Map? What are they thinking? People don't drive at night?

----------

1 Yay for junk email filter!

15. grockk, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

Already there in iOS 7. At night when navigating, with autobrightness turned on, as it dims down it fades to night mode.

Never gonna happen. The whole point of iOS/OS X memory management is that closing apps is done automatically. Free RAM is wasted RAM. Unresponsive apps are shutdown automatically too (appears as a crash). In OS X Mavericks there's even a setting to turn off the indicator for which apps are open because the system can take care of closing them down just like iOS.

16. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

No night mode for me on iPad...just tested in a dark room apparently it does not turn on night mode on standard map view.

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't understand the mentality of some of you. You complain about features that aren't there but yet are willing to wait a year for it to possibly be added?

If features that mattered a lot to me were missing in iOS I'd be jumping ship in a heartbeat. Not complaining for a year about it missing but yet sticking with it in the hope that it MAY get added in the next version.

18. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

the features that were listed are not deal breakers ... i wouldn't jump ship to android for any of them.

they just make things a little bit nicer.

19. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Yeah...Yeah,..we get you. You won't complain even if there are no have cut copy and paste, no multitasking... You are happy with iPhone OS version 1...

Seriously....

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Ah, copy/paste: Introduced in iOS 3.2.

The good old days where iOS users weren't the spoiled, demanding group of today who Apple "owes".

21. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

NON-GEEK???

Everything that you mention is pretty much a geek request.

Any normal user like my mom, girlfriend, non-tech friends couldn't care less about this wish list.

22. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

You're sorted for number 2. Lots of developers will release various coloured keyboards.

23. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Tell me were you complaint no cut copy and paste back then? Seriously... If you dislike people complaining, then don't join this thread... The title is scramming at you that somebody is complaining....

You just seems fine whatever Apple throw at you even if missing essentially features... While others are not...

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

While there are certainly some "typical" people who won't care about any of that, there are definitely quite a few who will care about at least some of those things. I've had questions and heard feedback about a number of things on that list from various relatives who barely know how to set up a DVR recording let alone anything more complex that would even make it look like they might be doing something "nerdy"/"geeky".

25. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I send out group emails occasionally on my iPad. It seems to remember who I send to. For example, I will send an email to a few of my coworkers. I will have to manually add them the first time, but after that they all show up under recents as a group.