Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Ok so, some of you may have already seen this in the "mac mods" thread.

Simply, I am making an xMac, I'm making a compact PC, with desktop parts, in about 40% of the size of a standard PC case.

The intial idea I had was to have an white iMac like front and sides, with a brushed alluminium top:
xMac.jpg

But someone quite rightly pointed out, airflow would be horrible, so a mac pro like grill was in order:

xMac2.jpg
xMac3.jpg

I spent a good half hour figuring out the best possible hardware placement, laid out all the hardware, took a photo, then made some hardware transparent so you can see underneath:
maccomputerbuild.jpg
maccomputerbuildcropped.jpg

I spent just under 3 hours today sawing through the PC case, I can't understand why they're so easy to bend, but near impossible to saw :confused:, this is so far:
DSCF53152.jpg

I will be using a small form factor PSU to fit in the bottom 3 PCI slots by the way:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=218608&doy=18m1#overview

I plan to get the sides and tops cut later tonight, I shall keep you all posted :)

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Thank you

Ok, finished another side panel, took a bit longer than I thought, think the saw is getting blunt, here's a photo to show the size difference between my xMac and a regular PC.

DSCF5320.jpg

eric55lv

Aug 5, 2007
Las Vegas,NV
Anyways that post that you did on the Mac Mods inspired me to build a computer any that looks really cool probally took you long to make it

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Anyways that post that you did on the Mac Mods inspired me to build a computer any that looks really cool probally took you long to make it

It's taken 4 hours so far to cut the PC case down, it's actually alot easier than people think, you've just gotta be determined.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
That seems like a neat idea, a headless iMac. I still don't see Apple ever making one of these though. Can't wait to see what the final product looks like Schtumple!

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
very nice!! ,but there's a reason why apple doesn't make computers with white and aluminium.. they don't look nice together, i would make it black with aluminium..

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Mac mini? the keyboards? the white imacs (the stand was aluminum :p)

I hate the black and silver look.

Seriously, hate it...

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Mac mini? the keyboards? the white imacs (the stand was aluminum :p)

I hate the black and silver look.

Seriously, hate it...

:p sorry i forgot about thoose... but in my opinion black looks better with aluminium..

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
:p sorry i forgot about thoose... but in my opinion black looks better with aluminium..

The only thing I hate about black and alluminium, is the black on the back of the iMac, I think it looks horrible, the front is lovely, but just the back, and I know I know, you never see it, BUT, I know it's there :p

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
The only thing I hate about black and alluminium, is the black on the back of the iMac, I think it looks horrible, the front is lovely, but just the back, and I know I know, you never see it, BUT, I know it's there :p

people could agree and disagree with that.. but i think the "white" period of apple is over.. just my thought ey.. :p

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
people could agree and disagree with that.. but i think the "white" period of apple is over.. just my thought ey.. :p

Oh yeah the white period is obviously over, but, it's a period I like, it's the period which I joined, so I'm kinda attached to it.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Pssttt...I know someone who might be able to help you along your journey. He can be reached at jonathan.ive@mac.com.

Good luck with your attempt! It seems as though you're on the right track.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
:p I'm sure if Ive was on board it would end up about 1 inch thick :rolleyes:

My dad bought me some screws that'll go flush against the casing, just realised how difficult it is to mount all the hardware, I've got monday off, so I can begin the mammoth task tommorow and hopefully finish it by monday.

Had a idea about the apple logo on the top...

My dad's going to cut it out of the metal casing, if I placed white acrylic over that, then mounted LEDs underneath, huzzah, the apple logo will light up (and be visible) when the computers turned on, and disappear when the computers turned off :D

Actually can't wait to finish this...

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Oh yeah the white period is obviously over, but, it's a period I like, it's the period which I joined, so I'm kinda attached to it.

i can't agree more.. when the new alu imac came out, my sister said: "why isn't it white?? white is like the trademark of apple.."

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
I spent a good half hour figuring out the best possible hardware placement, laid out all the hardware, took a photo, then made some hardware transparent so you can see underneath:
maccomputerbuild.jpg
maccomputerbuildcropped.jpg
'Best possible hardware placement' involved blocking all of the expansion slots? Oh but then again if it's going to be a Mac, you're hardly going to have any upgrade/expandability options anyway!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
'Best possible hardware placement' involved blocking all of the expansion slots? Oh but then again if it's going to be a Mac, you're hardly going to have any upgrade/expandability options anyway!

See, I've said this already, although not in this thread, the hard drives are mounted ABOVE the PCI slots, here's a very rough (and not perspectively correct) image of the hardware layout, looking from the front.

Attachments

• front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 127

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Just chiming in to say this is an awesome project. Don't stop with the pics as things develop :)

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
See, I've said this already, although not in this thread, the hard drives are mounted ABOVE the PCI slots, here's a very rough (and not perspectively correct) image of the hardware layout, looking from the front.
Oh right okay, from the original pictures it looked as though the drives were infringing into the card space.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Just chiming in to say this is an awesome project. Don't stop with the pics as things develop :)

Thanks, it's gunna be at a stand still for a while now, gotta rely on my dad to fine down the edges and make the front slab, could be weeks before he'll do it, if it were his project, it would be done yesterday... :rolleyes:

Oh right okay, from the original pictures it looked as though the drives were infringing into the card space.

Yeah it is a bit confusing, but no, the drives will be mounted on a tray above the pci slots.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Look, not to be a party-pooper or anything - but why is this thread on MR? Isn't building a Mac with PC parts illegal? I mean, if you were talking about moving the innards of a G4 or something into a smaller case and working for there - awesome, more power to ya. But you're talking about doing something illegal, and usually these threads get shut down right-quick on MR.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Look, not to be a party-pooper or anything - but why is this thread on MR? Isn't building a Mac with PC parts illegal? I mean, if you were talking about moving the innards of a G4 or something into a smaller case and working for there - awesome, more power to ya. But you're talking about doing something illegal, and usually these threads get shut down right-quick on MR.

building isn't illegal, but putting mac os x on a pc is..

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Seriously? It is illegal to take a computer you own and build another computer from it?

building isn't illegal, but putting mac os x on a pc is..
I didn't know putting OSX on a PC was "illegal".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.