Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
so, why is this beautiful work of art not in your (referring to the OP) sig?!? you're time and effort shall be rewarded when everyone sees your posts on MR they'll see xMac in your sig and be jealous.

in my opinion what i have said above does not make any sense but i am way too lazy to reword what i'm trying to say.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
haha me too. What happened? This is simply not fair. I NEED to know:)

I never finished it, work, relationship and finally uni took it's toll, and I never got time to finish it in the end. I did however get it all setup (with OSX), running as my backup server so it got most of the way there :p

so, why is this beautiful work of art not in your (referring to the OP) sig?!? you're time and effort shall be rewarded when everyone sees your posts on MR they'll see xMac in your sig and be jealous.

in my opinion what i have said above does not make any sense but i am way too lazy to reword what i'm trying to say.

Don't worry, it's 3:30am here, and I'm far too tired to care for grammar or punctuation (or lack there of), I used to have it in my sig, but removed it once the project dissolved away.

Wierd thing is, I looked back at this thread only yesterday, I was tempted to update it, but didn't want it to look like a double post/trying to grab attention ploy :p

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
Don't worry, it's 3:30am here, and I'm far too tired to care for grammar or punctuation (or lack there of), I used to have it in my sig, but removed it once the project dissolved away.

Wierd thing is, I looked back at this thread only yesterday, I was tempted to update it, but didn't want it to look like a double post/trying to grab attention ploy :p

haha when i posted it was 10:30pm which isn't that late but i'm just worn out from the day. to be honest, i glanced at the first page of the thread and a few random pages so i don't know how well your xMac project is going, but feel free to post updates about it. it's an interesting project considering you used PC cases and cut them down do size and gave it that gray Apple look.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
haha when i posted it was 10:30pm which isn't that late but i'm just worn out from the day. to be honest, i glanced at the first page of the thread and a few random pages so i don't know how well your xMac project is going, but feel free to post updates about it. it's an interesting project considering you used PC cases and cut them down do size and gave it that gray Apple look.

I agree, you have a very cool project here, very well done, too :)

Theirishjoey

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
Hey,

For some reason it just reminded me of a microwave.. Looks awesome though, I just wanted to say.

Great Project!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
It's been a while eh? I think I might actually get around to finishing this thing now I've got time off uni. No where is hiring (cheers recession), so I doubt I can get a job to interfere with this. So the side paneling might actually get sorted!

Watch this space.

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
RI
It's been a while eh? I think I might actually get around to finishing this thing now I've got time off uni. No where is hiring (cheers recession), so I doubt I can get a job to interfere with this. So the side paneling might actually get sorted!

Watch this space.

it would be awesome if you did get around to finishing it! A very cool project

btw, what was the final cost of all those parts?

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
Just read through most of this and very impressed :) I would love to see the final thing when you get round to finishing it :)

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
Yeah, this really is a great project, although I think if/when I ever decide to build a Hackintosh system, I would just like to buy an old G5 or Mac Pro case to stuff all of my stuff into. That way I could have a pretty authentic Mac. Haha. :p

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
Yeah, this really is a great project, although I think if/when I ever decide to build a Hackintosh system, I would just like to buy an old G5 or Mac Pro case to stuff all of my stuff into. That way I could have a pretty authentic Mac. Haha. :p

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at doing. I've been looking at a few ways of modding the G5 cases.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
Yeah, that's what I'm looking at doing. I've been looking at a few ways of modding the G5 cases.

Hmm, well let me know what you come across! Make a forum or something. I am always checking the Mac Pro/Picture Gallery forums. Would be nice to hear was mobo+hardware combo fits most easily into the casing. :)

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Really nice chop job you got going on there I went the other direction and went bigger on my mod though LOL

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
Whistles to self as I dig up this old post :p

Spent the past few days reading through all of this, and wow, awesome project. Now 2 years later has anything come about, anything else get finished?

jollygoodamy

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
HolyThreadRevivalBatman.jpg

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
It never got finished sadly, only a few weeks ago I scrapped the casing and put it into a new black case with the sole purpose of being a Mac media centre, the graphics card has sadly bitter the dust so it's not doing anything atm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.