Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
New York
I received an email from Cyan Worlds last night. Several weeks ago I had inquired about the possibility of a release of Myst for Intel Macs. Currently Myst and Riven are only supported on OS 9 (PPC).

Here's the reply.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Does one need to be registered on Twitter to see that screenshot?
What about posting it here, or is that impossible due to missing hits on that Twitter account?

As far as I know you don't need to be registered in order to see a twitted(?) picture. Oh and the page does not exist. koolmagicguy, you may want to fix that.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Does one need to be registered on Twitter to see that screenshot?
What about posting it here, or is that impossible due to missing hits on that Twitter account?

Sorry, I thought the link would work.

Myst for Mac - nicholasedwardfisher@gmail.com - Gmail.jpg

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
There's an unofficial port of Riven called RivenX that works great. Still, this is nice news. Hopefully Myst will be the 3D one that's currently making its way to the iPad.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Would love to hear an update on this :)

So would I. They seemed so sure but without hearing any news in the last several months it's hard not to think that Cyan doesn't find OS X worthy of the once best selling game of all time, which was originally ONLY on Macintosh systems.

Sorry for getting all your hopes up, I dearly hope this will happen some day.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
I absolutely loved Myst as a kid and still have it on the original CD. I also had realMyst which was basically the same game but allowed you to actually walk and turn like an FPS game instead of just a series of animated stills which the original game was. I dunno why but i preferred the original version. realMyst just wasn't as fun somehow.... I think mainly because on the original Myst you KNEW when you did a puzzle right or you clicked the right button because the game would momentarily freeze and you would hear the CD spin away. So you knew the next part of the game was loading, ha.

Cbswe

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
So would I. They seemed so sure but without hearing any news in the last several months it's hard not to think that Cyan doesn't find OS X worthy of the once best selling game of all time, which was originally ONLY on Macintosh systems.

Sorry for getting all your hopes up, I dearly hope this will happen some day.

Exactly my thoughts. Really hope they havn't given it up. They do have a mystic, currently empty "mac apps" section on their homepage http://www.cyanworlds.com/CyanApps/Cyan_Apps/Mac_Apps.html

I absolutely loved Myst as a kid and still have it on the original CD. I also had realMyst which was basically the same game but allowed you to actually walk and turn like an FPS game instead of just a series of animated stills which the original game was. I dunno why but i preferred the original version. realMyst just wasn't as fun somehow.... I think mainly because on the original Myst you KNEW when you did a puzzle right or you clicked the right button because the game would momentarily freeze and you would hear the CD spin away. So you knew the next part of the game was loading, ha.

This is exactly why Myst V wasn't as good as Myst I-IV. There was a certain thrill about everything being explored in these beautiful views and something suddenly springing to life when you solved a puzzle! The whole feeling of the game gets lost when you walk around like it would be a FPS.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Exactly my thoughts. Really hope they havn't given it up. They do have a mystic, currently empty "mac apps" section on their homepage http://www.cyanworlds.com/CyanApps/Cyan_Apps/Mac_Apps.html

This is exactly why Myst V wasn't as good as Myst I-IV. There was a certain thrill about everything being explored in these beautiful views and something suddenly springing to life when you solved a puzzle! The whole feeling of the game gets lost when you walk around like it would be a FPS.

Myst V has a movement mode that mimiced the other games. IMO the reason it wasn't as good was that it was rushed due to financial reasons. But I still found it better than Myst III and some of Myst IV.

Cbswe

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Myst V has a movement mode that mimiced the other games. IMO the reason it wasn't as good was that it was rushed due to financial reasons. But I still found it better than Myst III and some of Myst IV.

Well.. maybe.

I would say that the mode that made it mimic Myst I-IV didn't give it the Myst I-IV feeling since the world is still real time and moving from spot to spot was still done by actually walking rather than fading to that scene. It's a bit like preferring 24 fps film cameras over some super HD digital camera. The feeling of the older technology supersede the new technology even if it is more advanced.

This is also why (I personally) prefer the original Myst over realMyst.

mortsmusic

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
This has cheered me up in the New Year! Looking forward to them releasing these later in 2013.

Whilst we're on the subject though, can anyone suggest any worthy current alternatives to these magical games, that run on todays' OS X?

I've never quite found anything as good - but any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks!

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Having gone back to playing old Mac games that had once really been super-fun back in the day and recently made a re-emergence on iOS, only to disappoint (Carmageddon I'm looking at you), I'm of a mixed mind about this potential news.

With Carmageddon, they took the too-literal update, only really porting the game to run on iOS and making the control scheme touch-friendly. They didn't take full advantage of the opportunity and uprez the game or maybe add new maps, etc.

I was really taken back to 1996, but in a bad way.

I hope that Cyan doesn't just port the same low-rez slideshows of the titular games. I have a feeling I'll just be disappointed again.

mortsmusic

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Yes Irishman, I guess you're right - it won't stop me trying them out when / if they port them, but as you say, I'll probably be really disappointed!

(Mind you, what was so bad about 1996...?! :) )

Blackhorse16a

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Why no market???

This is a great thread.
Why do they think there is no market for these games?
They are beautiful, fun, challenging, classy, low violence...
Have I just answered my own question?

BH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.