Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Yes, yes... VERY humorous.
My iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6 are sooooo much less functional that an original iPad & an iPhone 3GS.
I'm with you. I wish they wouldn't keep removing so much thick functionality & making their products less and less usable year after year. Derp dee derp, derp derp derp.

/sarcasm

I was referring to Mac products, not really iPads and iPhones. You do solidify a point I have made many times. Apple would still be the Apple of the early/mid 2000s without the iPod/iphone/ipad. Hope they don't screw any of those up too much or they will be treading on dangerous grounds. Right now they are high on success of the iPhone.

thefu

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
I saw this same van last week in a parking lot in Morgan Hill. Walked up to it and asked the guy if it was a google mapping car. He said yes. However, he was seated in the passenger seat with a ruggedized and mounted tablet with a map on it and no one was in the drivers seat. There was someone in the back seat though. The silver things were spinning on top. I assumed they were cameras. The black circles looked like some sort of sonar emitter/receiver.

princered

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
Let's make rumors up right now so it can spread on the internet:
Chinese automanufactuer SAIC Motor to build the car based off of Apple's design in California. (Don't mind the Caravan it's a decoy)
SAIC Motor to announce job opening for a 'smart' car mass manufacturing.
Car to have Gold, White and Space Grey options available.
Anyone else can add to this – it's all true after all.

Full ultra thin sapphire windshield, with ultra clear high resolution retina headlights.
but you can only refuel at MFi pumps only either electrical or fuel. Of course there are MFi adapters you can purchase only from Apple retail stores.
Theres also an optional Apple Care Super + and covers 3 incidentals for a small deductible. :D

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Technology analyst Rob Enderle

lol.gif

Last edited:

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Then what should they have bought then? A Telsa? Mercedes? Just because you have money doesn't mean you spend it frivolously "just because".

A DeLorean! If you are going to build a time machine, street view mapper, or self driving car, why not do it with some style!

Alori

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
I've seen the car twice now driving around Pleasant Hill. I haven't seen any better photos of it in this thread yet, so I figured I'd post some.

BRQgd8w.jpg

rNDfF0u.jpg

0aQaXcg.jpg

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
I've seen the car twice now driving around Pleasant Hill. I haven't seen any better photos of it in this thread yet, so I figured I'd post some.

The dealer sticker is "Mac Haik". Definitely an Apple car.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
And it would've been funny if it was something like:
"You know if Apple made a car, no matter how much improved it got over time... it would always have the same mpg rating! =P"

Get it? Because iPhone and iPad battery life never change. See... it's based on something real, hence = humor. That's how that works. If I said "you'd get flat tires a lot" or something stupid like that... it would not make sense. See... because that's not something Apple is known for. Kind of like the OP comment about losing functionality each iteration. See... that's not funny because actually each new product adds functions. Understand now?
Btw... when someone actually writes a post using a word as silly as "derp" in it; I'm not sure "why are you being so serious?" is an appropriate response. Derp has never been used in a State of the Union address I believe for the express purpose that it radiates an aura of non-seriousness. =P
Lol, I love jokes & joking. I just thought that was a poorly constructed one.

Are you perchance going to any parties soon? If so, please tell us which ones, so I can be sure to skip them. :eek:

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Are you perchance going to any parties soon? If so, please tell us which ones, so I can be sure to skip them. :eek:

Lol, np... I apologize for not suffering fools gladly!
Please do skip attending any of my parties. I have zero interest in being around you. =)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Wouldn't it make sense for a mapping car to be self-driving?

You'd need a self-driving car that works without maps, and that works on all roads that you might want to map. I don't think we have that yet.

----------

Why are they interviewing Rob Enderle? He has been connected to Microsoft in the past and should have the nickname Rob "AlwaysWrong" Enderle. He predicted that HDDVD would win. He predicted that the Zune would be a success. He predicted that PlaysforSure would overwhelm iTunes. He predicted that the Surface RT would be a success.

Hope he doesn't predict that iPhone 7 will outsell Android :D

MacMulti

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Having used Apple Maps lately, turns out many searches are not found. Searches are not as good, maps are not as detailed, not as fast, but map look nice. Keep it up :apple:.

You obviously haven't used Apple Maps lately. It's almost as good as Google Maps now even though Google had many years of head start.

----------

Well, knowing that Android was a follower of iOS, I wonder how they can improve upon iOS.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
And if the battery dies, the entire car will be replaced as there is now way to replace the battery...;)

hahahaha yes!

1 year standard warranty and AppleCare will not cover accidents or spills for the 3 years unless you upgrade to the AC+. Then there's a $10k deductible.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
It may benefit everyone short term, but long term we benefit more from competition. Hypothetical: Apple comes out with vector based street view maps. Google improves theirs to vector based as well + some other "holy crap didn't know they could do that" implementation. Some other mapping company comes up with an innovative take. They get acquired by Apple and integrated into Maps. Everyone ups their game and we all benefit.

What ever Apple is doing, I hope it leads to something good and is something to drive the competition to come up with something even better.

Oh I hope the same , thats why I dont want apple to spend a lot of effort and money into building the backend for its own map app that is nowhere close to what google has. I want it to inovate on its front end and interaction, not spend years trying to play catch up with correct street names and places with google .

"Competition is good... as long as you're not competing with Google".
I never said that. Its not the competition aspect I was talking about .

I am referring to the enourmous head start google has

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell I'm letting Google Maps battery draining, privacy invading, software near my iPhone. Apple maps works really well here and the interface and usability is miles ahead of Google's offering. The CarPlay integration is slick!

The app that was bundled and used by hundreds of millions for years without a lot of complaints ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.