Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billybobbarmcak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Yesterday, I had to witness the death of two Macbooks. It was a bad day.

Firstly, my Macbook Pro. I was using it in my bedroom, it was plugged in. I went to make some food, and upon my return I am greeted by a blank screen, probably just a hiccup right? So I held the power button down expecting it to spring back in to life. But it didn't. It wouldn't turn back on. At all.

Luckily, I thought, I have my old 2006 Macbook that I keep as a back up just for times like this. As it hasn't been turned on for a while, the low battery warning comes on, so I plug it in. 10 seconds later, it hibernates. I switch it back on, but it keeps hibernating for no good reason. So I think restarting it will solve the problem. It didn't. It too, now wouldn't turn back on. At all.

In the space of a few minutes, they both completely died. I've tried resetting SMC, PRAM, everything I've found on Apple's support page and forums like this. Nothing has worked. The light on the power cable glows orange when plugged in, so it is still charging, and the battery indicator lights on the side of the MBP work fine. Aside from that, they are both completely lifeless.

So I need advice.

Here are a few specifics;

*My MBP is one year and FIVE days old. Meaning it misses Apple's 12 month warranty by 5 days.

*I did however, buy a 2 year extended warranty with the shop I purchased it from. I tried calling them but they weren't open and won't be until January 4th.

*In September, the power cord of my MBP wore out and stopped working. It's a well known fault and after taking it to the Genius bar they replaced the half of it that connects to the computer. I called Technical Support yesterday, and he said that the power brick is very unlikely to be at fault, andI should take it to the Genius Bar for testing. The soonest slot was Jan 5th.

I am utterly confused about what to do. The fact my older Macbook died so quickly after being plugged in makes me think that it MUST be a fault with the power cable that Apple gave me in September, but is that even possible?

If it does prove to be the cable that they replaced, then surely I should be able to get both Macbooks repaired/replaced by Apple, seeing as it is the cable that killed them both. It came with a 12 month warranty, but does that still count if it starts killing your machines? Somehow.

I'm not TOO concerned about the old Macbook, but my MBP breaking 5 days after its warranty expires is annoying. Either the power cable is at fault, or my Macbooks had a suicide pact.

Whatever advice anybody can give me would be appreciated so much. It's frustrating because I can't do anything until Jan 4th, so I'm relying on forumers. Thankyou!

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Something wrong with the electric socket you plugged them into?

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I don't think anyone here is going to provide some kind of magical insight that will resuscitate a dead MBP.

It's under warranty (AppleCare) so don't sweat it.

hzxu

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
Now you just need to pray for some magic which will wake them up some day.

hzxu

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
I wonder what will the "2 years extended warranty" cover, do they replace it for a new one as fixing it may cost equal amount of money.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
One possible advice (for future actions) is to not buy Apple products. PC computers are just as reliable/unreliable but cost less. Really sorry for your troubles.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
One possible advice (for future actions) is to not buy Apple products. PC computers are just as reliable/unreliable but cost less. Really sorry for your troubles.

Why would you post that on these forums of all places?

Just aching to start up a flame war? :rolleyes:

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Definitely sounds like an electrical problem in your home.

billybobbarmcak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010

As far as I know, nope. Something is plugged in there now and it works fine.

Take the MBP in, 5 days is nothing with a nice tech...
Has anybody experienced this? The mantra from my friends is that Apple employees will try to do anything to keep you happy, but in my experience they havn't lived up to that, so I presumed it wouldn't matter if it was 5 seconds or 5 years, it's still out of warranty to Apple, and no matter how nice the guy is he won't be able to do anything about it.

I wonder what will the "2 years extended warranty" cover, do they replace it for a new one as fixing it may cost equal amount of money.
So do I, I'm anxiously waiting to hear what they will say when I call them. It's just a generic electrical item cover, so it doesn't go in to specifics in the small print they gave me, so I've no idea if they are good to deal with or not. I'm hoping for a quick replacement, but I'm fearing a long winded and slow repair.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Because both Macs died of the same thing within minutes, you've got to look at the common factors, its highly unlikely that they both died of some mysterious error simultaneously. Unless they couldn't handle a year change, but thats even less likely.

Look at what you did the same with each Mac, and then cross them off as suspects. As for the 1st one dying 5 days after warranty, ouch.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
So do I, I'm anxiously waiting to hear what they will say when I call them. It's just a generic electrical item cover, so it doesn't go in to specifics in the small print they gave me, so I've no idea if they are good to deal with or not. I'm hoping for a quick replacement, but I'm fearing a long winded and slow repair.

The extra 2 years you buy are exactly the same as the first. If it breaks (and it's not your fault) they'll fix it ;)

So you have no worries.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Yeah, this isn't by chance most likely as others have said. Were the computers plugged directly into the wall or was there a power strip used that has a BUILT IN surge protector?

Other possible related factors:
-Humidity
-Magnets
-Ambient temperature/temp shock
-Radiation
-Electrical problem
-Power cord problem (did you use the same powercord for both?)

Odd question but do you by chance live anywhere near a fault line?

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
My money is on a power surge; that warranty is looking good.

First, are all the other electronics in the place OK? Even very low power could cause a problem when full power kicks back in--the fluctuation itself is a killer. I've lost very expensive equipment to that. If OK, that would leave the specific outlet, power brick, surge protector strip and cord setup. Disconnect everything and move it to another room. Plug something into the surge protector and see if it works (even the good ones can go bad easily). If OK plug one computer in and reboot. Then do the other one in a different outlet.

If no-go, Best Buy is open today. The Geek Squad guys can use their own power bricks and cords to check it out. These are the cheap fixes. If they don't work, Apple store it is. Geek Squad used to be excellent with Macs when they were a small business here in Minnesota before the owner sold it to Best Buy and went global. Not sure how they are now but give it a shot.

As always ignore whatever Lilo777 says about anything.

billybobbarmcak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Ok news update.

*The older white Macbook works again*

I gave both another shot earlier, the MBP is still dead, but to my surprise the Macbook turned on without a hitch. I've taken out the HDD from the MBP to test it, and it works fine, so happily I've not lost any data. I can't test the RAM because it is 2x4gb and won't work with anything I've got.

I have no idea what happened yesterday, maybe it just had something to do with the white macbook not being switched on for a while and me panicking and jumping to a conclusion, but hopefully it stays OK.

From what I've read (and may be completely wrong), I'd guess the logic board has gone on my MBP, so I'm REALLY glad I was suckered in to buying an extended warranty for it, as a $950 repair 5 days out of warranty would make me cry actual tears.

Thankyou for everybody's advice during my time of mourning.

billybobbarmcak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Oh, yeah, I've tried all the different variations of RAM that I've got in my MBP, including the stock ones that came with it, it doesn't make a difference, still dead I'm afraid :(

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
Georgia
hopefully you didn't just void the warranty by removing the HDD. good luck!

Ok news update.

*The older white Macbook works again*

I gave both another shot earlier, the MBP is still dead, but to my surprise the Macbook turned on without a hitch. I've taken out the HDD from the MBP to test it, and it works fine, so happily I've not lost any data. I can't test the RAM because it is 2x4gb and won't work with anything I've got.

I have no idea what happened yesterday, maybe it just had something to do with the white macbook not being switched on for a while and me panicking and jumping to a conclusion, but hopefully it stays OK.

From what I've read (and may be completely wrong), I'd guess the logic board has gone on my MBP, so I'm REALLY glad I was suckered in to buying an extended warranty for it, as a $950 repair 5 days out of warranty would make me cry actual tears.

Thankyou for everybody's advice during my time of mourning.

billybobbarmcak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
hopefully you didn't just void the warranty by removing the HDD. good luck!

Eeep. I was under the impression you could upgrade RAM and HDD without voiding warranty.

However, it now has the stock RAM and HDD that I bought it with, so they won't possibly be able to know that I've upgraded anything, right? It's completely clean.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Eeep. I was under the impression you could upgrade RAM and HDD without voiding warranty.

However, it now has the stock RAM and HDD that I bought it with, so they won't possibly be able to know that I've upgraded anything, right? It's completely clean.

You can absolutely upgrade RAM and HDD without voiding the warranty. Obviously Apple will not fix the upgraded RAM if that's what caused the fault, because it isn't theirs, and some with the hard drive. And there would be the risk if you put your MBP for repair and that they decide to swap it for a new one, that your RAM and harddrive disappear if you don't tell them.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Removing your HDD will not affect warranty. Here is how it works under Apple Care. You can replace RAM and hard drives, as people have said. NOW, if the aftermarket RAM or Hard Drive fails, Apple will not cover/replace that specific part because it is aftermarket and not their own.

Also, if you are taking your MBP in for service, put the stock RAM back in and remove the HDD because Apple may replace them by default, and they are going to do it based on what is attached to the computer's serial number.

Finally, there is still something going on which I would look for. How many joules does your surge protect against?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.