Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSlanderous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
People knock the EVO for having like 2-4 hours of wi-fi hotspot action, but im wondering how long wi-fi hotspot action do people get with mywi on iPhone 3GS?

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
People knock the EVO for having like 2-4 hours of wi-fi hotspot action, but im wondering how long wi-fi hotspot action do people get with mywi on iPhone 3GS?

Sorry can't give you a concrete, reliable answer -- I use MyWi to receive and send critical e-mail, documents when I'm on the road, so I'm basically on for 2–5 minutes and then off, though often several times a day. Tho sometimes I kick back and surf the web for 25 or 40 minutes, when I've never noticed a drain any faster than using the phone or e-mail.

If you plan on being on MyWi for extended periods, it would probably be a good idea to pick up an external spare battery, which have become more compact and cheaper.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Kills battery fast. I always suggest to anyone who wants to use your iPhone as a modem. Try to keep it hooked to a power supply (AC outlet or computer) whenever possible.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
It will get a few hours. Even when the iPhone is plugged in, it will begin to drain the battery. This happens when the phone begins to get hot and the charging circuit shuts off. You will notice that it will stop charging after a while.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes I imagine it's not something you want to do all day.
A half hour here and there would be ok. Some try to replace their home internet service with it and it's pointless and bad for the phone for long periods of time.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
yup....

I've used the software for some stretches of an hour or two and it takes a bite.
But you have alternatives. Monoprice has some cheap effective battery packs to attach to your iPhone.

There are others, small, cheap and light. You shouldn't leave home without it if you are a big my wi user. :cool:

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
well I guess I have been lucky. I use my iPhone to tether at my office. I do keep it plugged in because it will drain your battery pretty quick. but, in my experience it will charge your battery and keep it charged while you are tethering. I do mine from about 10-5 daily with no issues. now sometimes I do have issues with mywi staying on but that is a different issue completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.