MyWi question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rwd hero, Aug 6, 2010.

1. rwd hero macrumors 6502

A few co-workers and I wanted to stream UFC 117 this saturday night on yahoo sports at work. Do you guys think I will be able to stream it smoothly with a connection speed of 1286 Kbits/s Max, and 1274 Kbits/s average? This is the website with the info on the fight we will be streaming from... (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/ufcppv/117;_ylt=AshBAYGd3xv9UBnr2zuKPXE9Eo14)
    The website says "High quality video streaming at 300k, 700k, and 1200k". I assume that if I pick the lower quality video stream it will load quicker, but does anyone know if i will be able to pick a higher stream? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question to some of you, but I don't want to spend $45 and be constantly buffering or something. Also please keep the ethics lessons out of this thread, I am not trying to be rude or anything, but I will live with the consequences if AT&T finds out and gives me the boot.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Technically, you should be able to stream the high rez one, however I don't think this is a good idea at all, first you rely on the network, if for some reason the signal drop or the tower gets crowded, you will start buffering (there is not way to predict this, and it actually happen real often).

Second the whole fight streamed will be a lot of data, If you have the granfhatered unlimited plan, you still have a 5GB soft cap, You may reach that easily with a higher quality stream. In the best case, if you usually not use that must data and all of the sudden you spike to 3 or 4GB your account my get flag for review (you don't want that).

IMO It doesn't worth the risk.

3. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I can stream 720p YouTube videos using MyWi from where I am with 0 buffering. It all depends on where you are.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The five gygabyte soft cap is a myth. No one has ever been contacted about it. You're perfectly safe(people tether 10s of gygabytes at a time and don't get asked about it).
    So can I. MyWi is awesome.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL I am glad that you know Everyone with AT&T service to actually post about anyone not being contacted about it, First at all the reason it was know is because people started being contacted about it.

Second, I personally know 2 people that have been blocked when they reach their 5GB cap.

And this is what the TOS reads

"The parties agree that AT&T has the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred and/or deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service if you use more than 5 gigabytes in a month. If you require more than 5 gigabytes per month, ask us about our DataConnect 5GB Overage plan"

" If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service."

It's not a myth

ny the way, that cap is been there on the TOS long before the iPhone was even announced

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    I dont know why so many believe this 5GB thing.

What do you mean they got blocked when they reached 5GB's?
    With an iphone?
    I call bs.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You don't have to believe it in order to make it true, but yes one person with an iPhone and Another another one with Blackberry

Look in here: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp#features

do CTR+F and search for 5 GB ...read it for yourself

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you say so.
    Noone has every got disconnected or charged for using as much data as they want on an unlimited data plan for the past 3-4 years but you know 2 of them right?:rolleyes:
    Some people use 15+ GB's per month on the regural with no problems.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If you say so, if you know some people that use 15+ GBs per month, and haven't been contacted. right?:rolleyes:

I also hacked AT&T website and re wrote their TOS :cool:

ANyway to the OP, regardless of what Applejuiced believes or not, that is part of the TOS, even when there is a chance that you could be one of those that use 15GB+ a month, there is also the chance that you get nailed by AT&T. as i said on my original post IMO it doesn't worth the risk.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Many many people here use up 5-10-15GB+ plus per month. They posted their usage graphs on threads if you want me I can show you.
    As far as the 5GB soft cap is BS cause they never enforce it.

11. thep33t macrumors regular

IF you open up the ATT Plan terms, search for "5 GB" like you said, nothing useful come up.

--Something comes up about the 'DataConnect Plans' and the 'DataPlus/DataPro Plans with Tethering', but nothing about the plan you have with your iPhone.

Both of those plans are not the iPhone Data plan(s).

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

is not my fault you cannot read, the TOS read...

"" If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service."

The so call unlimited plan, would qualify under what they are calling "data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance"

Third, the fact that you or anyone else don't believe what I am saying doesn't make it any less true, as i siad I personally know people affected by this soft cap, I was letting the OP know what the reality is and sharing my personal experience so he can make his own decision. Applejuice also share his and his friend experienced so the OP will know what is out there.

13. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Thanks for posting the link but what you listed was for tethering plans.
    Using MyWi you are not on a tethering plan so therefore it does not apply.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think maturola is just trying to scare people.
    Noone ever got his service disconnected or paid any fee's for using too much data on an unlimited iphone plan.
    Believe what you want folks;)

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Those apply to wireless data usage, MyWi use your wireless data.

LOL why would I want to scare anyone in a forum???

I was trying to help the OP, and inform him of a possibility, so he take an informed decision. Find it funny that you consider everything you say a "fact", just because you say so. when I know people that have been suspended for usage but as you said, believe what you want

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No they dont.
    Cellphone data plans and wireless aircard plans or tethering plans are an additional service have different terms.
    Keep trying to spread misinformation though.:D

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

ok you right, you said it, so it must be true...

because the Iphone data plans are not called: DataPlus and DataPro.

18. thep33t macrumors regular

the thing about contracts and fine print is that words matter.

Beleive it or not, they do, in this case, it puts a limit of 5GB on two different packages. Neither of them are the package you have with iPhone data. So yes, 5GB cap exists for SOME RANDOM ATT PRODUCT, but not the iPhone.

Again, not trying to convince you, but rather help others who might find this thread later whom have a clue.

19. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I might actually like to see that myself. It made me curious to see how much data I used this month (1.9 GB).

Look right above where that link drops you off. It is in bold black print. The wording seems to look like it's covering any device (smartphone or broadband card) is limited to 5GB. Nothing like some "grey area" to cover thier ass.

Back to the OP's situation: unless you stream content like this practically every month, someone @ AT&T might take notice. Plus, as someone else said, the streaming from the network might jam the system. My 3G speeds aren't the best here, but I have downloaded some stuff before & watched the stream fluctuate (sometimes to Edge speeds). That makes for a bad viewing party.

20. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

maturola, Unless you saw your friends bills the translation to, "AT&T cut me off because I used too much data" really means, "I haven't paid my cell phone bill for two months and look at that, AT&T cut me off."

Much more likely scenario.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Probably.
    That would make sense.

22. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The person with the blackberry happen in front of me, we were on a business trip, his data stop working, we worked together to try to fix it until he decided to call AT&T, he didn't get cut off, his was still able to make calls, but his data was blocked.

23. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Thanks for validating my theory.
    Lesson to be learned in this thread: If you want AT&T to leave you alone, pay your phone bill and pay it on time.
    <insert-thumbs-up-here>

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh yeah:D
    Keep going...

25. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I forgot to check with you before posting my story. It won't happen again