Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dberhane

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
AT&T nEver said anything to me

A couple months back i was staying with some relatives when i moved and they didn't have wifi so i was forced to tether. I knew i was using a lot but had no idea it was that much...obviously im not doin that these days but it probably is a myth that at&t caps you at 5GB seriously cuz i was WELL over that and they never said anything to me...unlimited MeAnS Unlimited https://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Attachments

• The Real iPhone Data Usage.jpg
    The Real iPhone Data Usage.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 42

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Probably no problem posting your story.
Next time though, start out with, "Once upon a time..."

Yep, that would help :D
lol

I might actually like to see that myself. It made me curious to see how much data I used this month (1.9 GB).

You can check out this thread that has graphs with various usage by some members here.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/926904/
Some have normal 200-300mb use per month while others 16GB and even 27GB of data use in a month. :D

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
Just to let everyone know, I tethered last night and watched the fight card. The iPhone handled it wonderfully on the medium resolution setting (high made it a little jumpy). Everyone at my work had a lot of questions about how I was able to use the Internet on my MacBook pro without any wifi around, I just told them they should have gotten an iPhone (work with a lot of droid users). Thanks to everyone for they're help, and to the people that said I shouldn't do it, and it isn't a good idea, I refuse to live my life afraid if getting into trouble for petty things like using a little bandwidth that I pay for. You should try breaking the rules once in a while. You will probably be happier in life.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks to everyone for they're help, and to the people that said I shouldn't do it, and it isn't a good idea, I refuse to live my life afraid if getting into trouble for petty things like using a little bandwidth that I pay for. You should try breaking the rules once in a while. You will probably be happier in life.

Well said:)

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
Everyone at my work had a lot of questions about how I was able to use the Internet on my MacBook pro without any wifi around, I just told them they should have gotten an iPhone (work with a lot of droid users).

I'm guessing the same people don't watch advertisements? Verizon has an ad that it's Droid X can function as a wifi hotspot. And to think, they don't even have to jailbreak the phone. Which really comes down to the heart of the issue. Verizon isn't worried about tethering with your data plan, so why should AT&T?

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm guessing the same people don't watch advertisements? Verizon has an ad that it's Droid X can function as a wifi hotspot. And to think, they don't even have to jailbreak the phone. Which really comes down to the heart of the issue. Verizon isn't worried about tethering with your data plan, so why should AT&T?

Im pretty sure Verizon has the same plans as AT&T. If you sign up for the tethering (be it hotspot or not), you are limited to 2 gigs.

jake67890

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
my thoughts

it's good to know some people have had high usage without getting billed extra. it's probably not good advice to tell people that it's 100% risk free, though, because nobody knows if it will continue to be the case.

my guess, is that if at&t will decide to pursue it they will do it in a certain way so not to lose good customers. i would predict they might send something with your bill that says "you appear to be tethering so you will automatically be switched to the tethering plan if you continue to use the feature"

they might also just sit on it and when they want to get people off of the unlimited plan, they will be able to say that you broke your contract terms of service - so they will be able to switch you to a different contract without your agreement.

but if you are what they consider a data hog (like using 100Gb of data lol!) then, who knows, it is no secret that data carriers do not like those customers. maybe nothing will happen, who knows?

those are just my guesses. even the att&t employees don't know because there has been no decisions announced. so for sure nobody is qualified to say anything except their own personal experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.