MyWi UPDATE just released this AM. New Stealth Mode?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by braddick, May 26, 2011.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I just upgraded to MyWi 1.6 with the hopes it prevents tethering from being detectable, or at least, more difficult to do so with AT&T.

It makes sense MyWi would be pulling out all the stops to get this or a future update out as it is getting to be a game changer what with all the AT&T notices warning users about tethering out of contract.

We'll see.

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

If they had somehow added a "stealth" mode, you would think they'd add it to the changelog - I don't see anything about it in there.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Me neither.
    I don't see any additional options either.
    Op is dreaming.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Perhaps I am.
    The update, one that hasn't been available for months, had me excited.

I'd think MyWi would, behind the scenes, be scrambling to get their product updated to conquer the fears many of us have regarding detection. Until they do I can't imagine too many hopefuls downloading their app.
    I'd also guess- and that's exactly what it is, a speculation, the fix can't be terribly complicated.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I also hope there's a way to mask it's usage.

6. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Intelliborn's (MyWi developer) Tweets say the following:
    "MyWi has always used the primary APN (the same as Safari/Mail/etc.). All data is on one connection."

APN stands for Access Point Name. The APN defines the network path for all data services (Cellular Data, Visual Voicemail, MMS). (from Apple's website)

To me, this indicates that AT&T cannot tell if you are tethering using MyWi.

Earlier, Intelliborn also Tweeted that based upon user experience, the ATT tether messages have nothing to do with tethering. This also seems to be the experience from this Forum.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Seems like a scare tactit from AT&T cause I know a few people that got those messages and they're not even JB or tethered before.
    Just lots of pandora and netflix.

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

iPhone 4 has a much better and naturally stealth tool called TetherMe...also saves battery when compared to MyWi which drained battery even when plugged in. $1 too.
    The only reason anyone would care about MyWi is if they have an iPhone 3GS or 3G, because TetherMe does not work on them.

9. ihonda macrumors 68000

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For the price you can't beat it but there is no stealth mode or anything like that. People who were using TetherMe also got notices from AT&T.

11. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Never heard of people getting notices from TetherMe.
    It does in fact operate in what MyWi recently implemented as "stealth." Keep in mind that the native hotspot feature in iOS 4.3 has its own data cap separate from the main data cap if you actually pay for it. AT&T has a way to count how much data was used for the purposes of tethering, and if the native hotspot is used then presumably there should be evidence on the monthly bill. NO mention of tethering was ever measured by AT&T on the month I used around 140MB of data while tethering. Of course it doesn't say "Stealth mode" because no one would ever wan to turn it off, but it does exist.

Battery - TetherMe
    Speed - TetherMe
    Reliability - TetherMe
    Simplicity - TetherMe
    SBSettings toggle - TetherMe
    Compatibility - MyWi
    Customizability - MyWi
    5:2, TetherMe wins.

12. kre62 macrumors 68000

People with tetherme got notices left and right. It enables native tethering, which was jsut outed as the reason ATT caught on. Id say tetherme is the most likely to get you busted.

13. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Wrong. When you download TetherMe, you download a combination of packages that enable the phone to use the main data plan for tethering. This makes TetherMe even more indistinguishable. MyWi on the other hand is a single app, which means it has a signature code that can be easily identified and be traced back to one source. That's what's dangerous about MyWi; without this so-called "Stealth" mode it is easily trackable.

14. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I'm certain you, or most people on this forum don't have a clue what you are talking about regarding MyWi vs TetherMe vs other tethering methods. The fact that ATT has given notice to those on MyWi, those on TetherMe, and those who have never jailbroken their phone tells me that we have yet to understand what is going on here. That includes me of course.

15. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I don't know about you guys, but when I called Att about my unauthorized tethering text, they told me the exact date I tethered to use netflix. They told me that is when I got flagged.

16. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

That's good that you asked. I wish I would have asked when I had them on the phone. I just played dumb and let them share as much as they wanted. They did say that this didn't have to be a recent tether...my account could have been flagged months ago and they just now sent a notice.

17. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

I recently jailbroke my iP4 for the first time. A jailborken iP4 is amazing. SoftBank here in Japan is trying to gouge us with both an iPhone contract and an iPad2 3G contract . Unbelievable. So I had no choice but to JB. It's basically the only reason I jailbroke. All the other little tweaks I added such as PhotoAlbum+ PhotoMail were bonuses and VERY convenient.

I have both TetherMe and MyWi ONDemand. While the UI is obviously nicer in MyWi, I prefer TetherMe because that's just it; there is no UI. It's just an option in settings and not an app you have to open. They both do BT, USB and WiFi. Bluetooth tethering sucks balls btw. Who would ever use that for tethering? The best part about TetherMe is that it uses a legit tethering network icon while MyWi uses the generic WiFi icon. When you connect to a TetherMe hotspot your Mac or iPad sees the tethering icon. Very nice! I do have to say that sometimes when I use TetherMe I have to reboot in order to get my regular WiFi working again.

18. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Oh, and did you look at the SBSettings toggles? The MyWi toggle requires that battery-drainer to be OPEN AT ALL TIMES in which you want to use it.
    TetherMe, because it's a native tethering mod, uses the native tethering toggle that works exactly like other Settings.app toggles such as Airplane Mode. It's smooth and integrated, no buggy requirements whatsoever.

19. Applejuiced, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dude, what are you talking about?
    Almost everyone that was using TetherMe got caught by AT&T.
    Im all for praising a good app but you go overboard. Seems like every topic about tethering, MyWi or anything related you jump in with the same exact posts. Are you the seller or associated with them or something?

20. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Agreed.

21. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

i've used tether me to download about 400 GBs and about 100Gbs or so with mywi

i got both notices from att...

22. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Umm...let's see 28GB with TetherMe, no notice. 538MB with MyWi, notice sent.
    Same with about 90 friends who use TetherMe. When I found out I wasn't alone, then I was completely sold. Got really mad that MyWi was wasting 5% per 2 minutes...plugged in... Last straw was when my laptop wouldn't connect to MyWi at all, partially because it was ad-hoc and my laptop isn't friendly with ad-hoc networks. It connects to TetherMe just fine.
    I've heard a ton of these "horror stories" so gave MyWi 8 goes. Last one ended with a notice and a really mad customer. Switched to TetherMe, never complained once. In fact, I sometimes wonder how you guys manage to use MyWi with all of its bugs and shortcomings.

23. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

dude what is wrong with you, stop spamming this thread, we get it you like tetherme THATS YOUR OPINION it not any more valid than anyone elses, knock it off, you're asking for a time out

Battery - TIE (both charge USB cable, bluetooth would be painfully slow)
    Speed - TIE, both run in the background = no need to access program
    Reliability - TetherMe
    Simplicity - Fail, if you Jailbreak your phone you want options
    SBSettings toggle - Tie, both have Sbsettings toggles
    Compatibility - MyWi
    Customizability - MyWi
    Features - Mywi
    Security - Miwi

For the most part both programs work the same (your stats are BS, both are equally fast and use the same battery life) but if you want options = Miwi destroys tetherme

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Stop your advertising finally dude. Your posts dont even have anything to do with the topic of the thread.
    How much you're getting paid anyway?

25. jlussow macrumors newbie

EXACTLY what I thought. I've used both, along with PDANet and others and MyWi is the best solution for me. They all work but MyWi offers some customizability that the others don't. I have to assume Prodo123 is the developer of TetherMe or a friend of the developer. It works but it isn't worth screaming about.

----------

So, is it safe to say that there is no new version of MyWi (1.6????) released today and that a vast majority are still having issues with iOS 5.1 compatibility?