MyWi upgrade worth it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by notahacker, Jul 26, 2010.

1. notahacker macrumors newbie

I use the MyWi all the time with my 3gs but i have not payed the $10 for the update what new features does it add that are worth the $$?? And once the JB is out for my othe phone (iPhone 4), will it be a must to have the upgrade?? Thanks for the help..

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

As far as I know, the only new feature of MyWi 4 is that it works on iOS 4.0+. If you intend to upgrade your 3GS or to use MyWi on the iPhone 4, you will definitely have to upgrade.

3. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

MyWi 4 New Features and Improvements:
    ⁃ Faster performance
    ⁃ Lower battery consumption
    ⁃ Choose the In Use Indicator that you want:
    - - Status bar icon (no battery use)
    - - Blue pulsing bar (10% - 15% more battery)
    ⁃ Adjust the WiFi transmit power (Between 30% and 100%)
    ⁃ Battery consumption meter
    ⁃ USB Bridge mode. (Connect your laptop over USB to the phones 3G or WiFi connection!),

4. notahacker thread starter macrumors newbie

great

Thank you!! that says it all.. Most def worth it!!

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

The most important one for me is the variable transmit power feature. When I use MyWi at work, the signal goes out a couple hundred feet and everyone with a laptop can see it.:D

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very nice.
    Thanks for the info Mike.

7. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I upgraded (4.0 on my 3Gs), and it is a nice feature set upgrade. That being said, I still use it in the same way and it is working near perfectly with the latest updates.

Well worth the one-time upgrade fee in my opinion.

Enjoy!

8. boatski macrumors regular

So when 5.0 comes out will we have to pay another $10?

9. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

FWIW I'm getting 4-5 mb/s on mywi 4.0, def faster than when it was on my 3GS.

10. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

So I'm assuming the less transmit power the less battery usage?

11. hlkc macrumors regular

New to JB.

So MyWi here and MyWi 4.0 is from different company, right?

MyWi is not working 4.01 yet, right? Any are they going to support 4.01? How much for MyWi, I can't install it and can't tell.

Installed MyWi 4.0 and working fine with my IP4 4.01. But it will cost $20.

Thinking should I roll back to 4.0 and go to MyWi or just pay $20 to Rock for MyWi 2.0.

Thanks!

12. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Sounds like a scam. I'm MORE than happy to support app developers, but when they charge for an update that offers little benefit, it's a bit disappointing. I'd just spent the $$$ on the 3.x version in April, and they advertised "Free Upgrades" .. and now we get hit with this... I'll use an alternative product this time.

13. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Good luck

14. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Don't need it. I'm not tied at the hip to AT&T, so I can tether with BT or USB without any additional fees. I remember the days of being tied to AT&T with a factory locked phone... yuck. My factory unlocked beats the soft-unlock anyday, I'll never go back. Thanks for the luck-wishing though.

15. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Then why are you using MyWi anyway? If you dont need wifi tethering why waste breath bitching about it?

16. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

I agree that is pretty messed up especially for all the people that have paid for it already.

If it was $10 id probably get it but $20 is a lot :(

17. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

MyWi is making my settings page (notably the wifi part) unstable under 3GS 4.0.1.

18. drjsway macrumors 6502a

??

All software that is upgraded every 1-2 years has upgrade pricing (OSX, iLife, etc.) if I buy 2009 car, I can't trade it in for a 2010 car for free. When you buy a product, you get the product you buy. You are not entitled to any free upgrades.

19. Millah macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I'm so annoyed with people nowadays that just expect every update/new version to be free. They think that when you buy one app, thats like a lifetime license to guarantee future content, updates, add-ons, etc.

Just go look through reviews in the App store and you'll see what I mean. Like half the reviews are people bitching saying things like "oh you haven't added new content blah blah I want my money back I already beat the game and now I have nothing to do."

Peoples' sense of entitlement truly annoys me.

20. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It's worth EVERY DIME!

I've been using MyWi for 4.0 on my iPhone 4 for the past two hours and the battery is still at 100% while plugged in. Try that on a 3GS and the battery starts draining in about an hour while plugged in.

Plus I have noticed that the iPhone 4 handles power allot better than any previous phones. When downloading a TV show on 3G on my iPhone 4, the battery stays at 100% while plugged in. The phone is barely warm.

When downloading a TV show of about the same size on my 3GS or 3G, the battery drains about 10% while plugged in and the phone gets hot.

AT&T is seriously going to hate me now. :)

21. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I'll buy it asap. Im trying the trial right now, but I've not used it since last year on my 3GS now on my iphone 4. I'm excited for this to use it on my ipad. :) and also my macbookpro if I'm out. This is a great app.

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

MiWi is essential, and works flawlessly. It gives my iPad a new lease of life, when out and about.

23. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes! Three hours of tethering and my iPhone 4 battery is still at 100% while plugged in. The phone is still just slightly warm.

24. boatski macrumors regular

The problem is v3 of MyWi does NOT work with iOS4. Therefore you are forced to pay $10 if you want to tether again.

If I own a 2009 Vette and I like the new features of the 2010 Vette, but don't want to pay money for it I can still drive my 09 Vette because it works just fine.

25. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Nuts!

A refined program that gives more options and opportunities to even manage the strength of your little wifi signal not worth $10?

Az goodz as dem teadeering shitz is. :D

What a loony complaint. :p First thing after the jailbreak I did was install this and then went right ahead and made the $10 payment for the upgrade.

Me iPad has been freed. :cool: