MyWi - works usb but not wifi?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by parkp81, Aug 2, 2010.

1. parkp81 macrumors member

New to this, but I have mywi installed and went to try using "mywi" instead of usb and my macbook see's it and connects, but I can't access the internet? I tested the usb connection method and that works. Is there something I am missing here?:confused:

Also it says 1 devices connected under "active users".

2. Angel841 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my iphone 3GS. I had the old version of mywi and worked without problems on 3.1.3. But now I updated 4.0.1 and only work on usb. I have restore the iphone 2 times and the same problem. And it mess up my wifi connection on the phone

3. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Are you guys actually using the upgraded version of MyWi? You'll need to upgrade from the version you were using on 3.1.3.

On that note, anyone gotten the new MyWi working on a 3GS yet?

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I just got it to work on my iPhone 4 and connected to it on my MBP. I posted this message using MyWi 4.0.

5. Angel841 macrumors newbie

It does not let you install the ver 3 of mywi if you are on ios4. I have jailbreak the new iphone 3GS 8GB and have the same problem. Works with usb but not on wifi. I think the app needs to be updated

6. reliantj macrumors 6502

i've go 3.4.3 as well. doesn't work via wifi, only USB.

you're so wrong.
    i have an iPhone 4 on 4.0.1 with MyWi installed. USB works, wifi doesn't.

7. parkp81 thread starter macrumors member

Yea i'm on the latest mywi version.

I got it to work on my macbook pro just now (ran a repair on the network airport setting), but every time i connect to mywi it erases my home wifi network settings (password).

8. Angel841 macrumors newbie

I didnt say iphone 4. I said ios4, you know what it is?

9. Angel841 macrumors newbie

Thats what says when I try to install the old version of mywi on rock

Attached Files:

10. ffuuman macrumors newbie

my mywi review?

i, too, have issues with the iphone 4 (4.0.1) and mywi 4.3.4.
    first issue, when i use wifi tethering, i can't connect to it from my windows 7 laptop. it says "windows is unable to connect to __". it works fine with the usb cable connection.
    oddly enough, wifi tethering works when i connect from my ipad.
    BUT, it stops transmitting data as soon as i try to play a video from the official youtube app on the ipad. at this point, 3G still works on my iphone 4, but i have to restart the iphone to get mywi working again. anyone else have this problem?
    not a good experience with mywi at all..

other little things:
    the on/off switches for wifi tethering and usb are horrible. as i'm flicking to scroll, i keep accidentally turning the switches on and off.

mywi kind of breaks the settings page. even when mywi is disabled, you can't go into your wifi settings if you ran mywi before.

why is the wifi icon displayed when i'm using it in usb mode with 3G?

11. dgstan macrumors 6502a

FWIW, here's my experience.

I had MyWi up and running fine. Then, as usual, I continued to muck around with my phone, installing several superfluous Cydia packages. MyWi stopped working period, giving me the message that "toogling airplane mode" might fix it (it didn't).

Anyhow, I backed out the non-essential packages that I had installed recently and now it's back to working fine. For the record, those packages were the SBSettings LED light, the AdMob Blocker, and the SBS Ad Blocker (I forget the name). I didn't have the time or energy to troubleshoot which one was causing the problem.

12. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Anyone have MyWi 4.x working on a 3GS 4.0x phone and successful wifi yet?

MyWi is the main reason I jailbreak and I'm still holding off on upgrading past 3.1.3 because info still seems pretty sketchy.

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I'll try it and let you know shortly.

14. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Thanks!

For what it's worth I specifically need it to create a WiFi hotspot my little iPad can get on. (Which is currently working on my 3.1.3/MyWi config. My main goal is to avoid this no longer being true.)

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Ok I got it to work on my 8GB 3GS running 4.0 using WiFi with no problems. I connected to my phones connection on my MBP and on another iPhone.

16. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Thanks. I'm probably going to pull the trigger this afternoon, and I'll report back to try to add to the limited pool of info re: 3GS. (I feel like such a second-class citizen, heh.)

17. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Upgraded/JB/MyWi'd.

1) Had 3GS 3.1.3 Spirit JB iPhone w/older MyWi

2) Backed up, also removed apps from Categories folders.

3) Decided to just throw caution to the wind and update from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1 without removing JB/restoring etc. Worked.

4) Did JB via jaibreakme.com.

5) Installed MyWi 4.3.4 from ModMyi.

MyWi is successfully providing wifi to my iPad.

Was pleased to note also that a lot of my previous JB-related settings were saved; for example, Cydia still knew my added sources and MyWi still had my settings intact.

So far so good.

18. ihaveabu macrumors newbie

Yea i can't get mywi 4.3 to work over wifi on my iphone4 either.

could the software just need a new update?

19. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

No update. I got this to work just now on my iPhone 4, Nothing special needed. I just turned on the WiFi tethering and connected to it on my MBP. Works as advertised. I'm posting through MyWi for this reply.

20. scottuf macrumors 6502

Haven't tried it on a mac yet, but on my Win7-64 laptop at work, it connects via USB but I get an error that the DNS server isn't responding.

And I can't connect at all vis wifi.

I have the latest version 4.3.4 running on my iphone 4 with 4.0.1

EDIT - rebooting the phone fixed the DNS error, but still con't connect via wifi.

21. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

I had it on 3.1.3 (3GS new bootrom), and it worked perfectly. I just fired it up on 4.0 for the first time and it works perfectly (even remembered the settings from when it was on 3.1.3, which I thought was odd).

22. scottuf macrumors 6502

i decided to take a look into the wifi settings and what it does is connect to its own access point, but its not giving it an IP, its self assigning one. I think that's where the problem might be coming in.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I cant get the wifi bridged to usb to work

anyone else?

3g bridged to usb works fine

24. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

ok here it is

I thought I was the only one having this problem. I have been going nuts for several days with the old version. I finally figured it out with the old version and just updated to the new one today and it didnt work again. my problem was it kept changing the name of the signal on my pc. not on the mywi. so I had to keep renaming it and as soon as I would then the old name would show up. you have to keep deleting the one that says your name whatever it is-mywi that is the problem. click on the wifi signal on your pc and select view networks, then go into advanced and make sure computer to computer is also checked. this is not a real wifi signal like it is on a router. for some reason the pc thinks the iPhone is a computer. Im sure some of you know why that is but its over my head!! anywant now mine will work with wifi but not usb.....lol

25. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well since my last post I have lost my wireless ability and now I have it back as well as usb. for the moment that is.........

and I have the paid app! even though it says trial version and wont let me pay. its not the cracked version!