N/M. Solved problem! -- deleted preview button from Finder window

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MeditativeRose, Apr 25, 2009.

1. MeditativeRose macrumors newbie

I accidentally deleted the preview button from the Finder window.

Firstly, this is not the same as this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=538219

I still have Preview. It works fine when I click on it in the dock.

What happened was: I was following the instructions to install Audacity. It said to "Option-drag the whole of the .dmg contents (not the .dmg itself) into the "Audacity" folder you created." I couldn't quite figure out how to do this -- select all and drag them all together -- so I was trying out different combinations of option click drag, command option drag, etc. Finally I get something to drag, it goes "poof" (yeah, that cloud of smoke), and....:eek: I realize that something I pressed highlighted or activated the preview button and that's what I dragged, and it's no longer at the top of the Finder window.

It's not in the Audacity folder I dragged it to, and it's not in the trash.

How can I restore the preview button?

(I'm on an aluminum MacBook running OS X 10.5.6. And, by the way, I'm totally new to Mac. I've only had my MacBook for just over a week.)

Edit: I figured it out! First, technically what I was referring to was the Quick Look buttton (did I mention I'm totally new to Mac?:eek:), and I figured out that that was part of the toolbar, how to customize the toolbar, and restore the button. Phew!

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Do you mean Quick Look? The little icon with the eye?
    To get it back, open a new Finder window, in the menu bar go to View --> Customize Tool Bar and drag the icon back on :)

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Right-click on an blank area of the Finder toolbar region and choose Customize Toolbar. This will bring up a window where you can drag icons onto the toolbar.

4. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Right click on the Finder toolbar and click "Customize toolbar", then drag it back to where it was before.

5. MeditativeRose thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, you guys are fast; you beat me to my edit by a few seconds! Thanks so much anyway!

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm not too clear on what you mean "preview" button. I'm thinking you mean "QuickLook". I suspect you removed it by using "cmd-drag". (this also works on the menu bar items)

You can modify the toolbar in the Finder window by going to "View>Customize Toolbar...", (or right/control click on the toolbar itself). From there, you can drag buttons to the toolbar, or select the default set.