n00b to OS X releases, how does it go down?

alfa147x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
ok well preparing for the 10.5 release, waiting in line...

Iv heard 2 things on the day a new os is let out:
1) they open the store at normal times and they sell the os

2) they close the store at 8 in the afternoon and then they open up at 12 midnight and sell the os

help me, as i plan to be the first one in line.
also how much is the cost?
On that iv also heard 2 things:

1)the new OS cost $120
2)If you take ur 10.4 cd in you get 10.5 for 25$

please help!

Thanks! :confused:

also just so you know my situation as i am new to the forum:
I am a part time web designer
i had a beige g3
i own 2 PC running windows XP
and via FedEx i have a macbook on the way!

i am a very big Apple fan but not biased
i have a computer running Ubuntu
i believe all operating systems have there pros and cons

i think thats about it.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Release day hours: I would only be guessing at the store release day hours.

Pricing: $129 from any version. The only discounts I've seen have been for those who've purchased systems within a month of the release date.

alfa147x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
Release day hours: I would only be guessing at the store release day hours.

Pricing: $129 from any version. The only discounts I've seen have been for those who've purchased systems within a month of the release date.
i bought the macbook friday?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The discount is for those who purchase Macs between the day the OS release date is announced and the actual release date. It helps keep people from delaying their Mac purchases until the release date for the new OS.

Since the release date has not yet been announced, you won't be eligible for the discounted price. We're still several months away.

If you'd like to read an article about how the release parties went down for the release of Tiger, read this story.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i don't think apple's ever had a midnight os release. the two times that come to mind are 6 pm for tiger and panther and 10:20 pm for jaguar (10.2 release at 10:20). if history's to be any indication, i'd guess an october friday night release at 6. byob.

amazon says release is Oct 31.:eek:
amazon says lots of things. they pointed to an iLife release in early january, and we're still waiting for that. i wouldn't put too much stock in their estimated releases.

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

I am pretty sure apple doesnt make a huge frenzy out of OS releases, so you wont have to wait in line for 3 days like the iPhone. If you bought the Macbook friday, dont expect a discount. It isnt even 2 months from october yet...