Nailing AT&T's Tethering detection system, wanna help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jav6454, Sep 4, 2011.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

So everyone knows how AT&T isn't much a big fan of people who have unlimited 3G data plans on their iPhone to use that connection as a Wi-Fi Hotspot or Tethering connection without dropping unlimited and going for the tiered 4GB plan.

Ok, that said, we know that people have been getting emails, texts and letters from AT&T (people who have tethered unofficially) telling them to stop or risk loosing unlimited. I have wondered how they knew who did and who not. So I did a little digging on my own. However, I need your help to create a large enough data pool in order to confirm results. No, I am not going to make you tether until AT&T notices.

I just need a screen cap from people who tether or use Wi-Fi Hotspot UNOFFICIALLY of the following screen:

[​IMG]
    Generation: iPhone 4
    Software: iPhone OS 4; subversion 4.3.3
    Baseband: 01.59.00​

This screen is the one you see when you go into Cellular Data Network. I need to see this screen for anyone who can access it and falls in the above bolded category. Anyone from iPhone 3G, to iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 is encouraged no matter what software version (iPhone OS 2, 3 or 4). you have. All I need is the above screen, your software version, baseband version and phone generation. This will give me a nice data set to conclude.

So far, it has to do with the username in the APN settings. Using phone lets the server know its from an iPhone or phone device, but I can't make it concrete unless I have more evidence.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

On the iPhone the username and password has always been blank. Why not look at the internet tethering APN instead of the regular cellular data APN.

I do know setting the internet tethering to phone instead of tethering doesn't hide it.

Most of the information you're looking for can be found in older firmware files and older AT&T carrier bundles.

3. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Not always, I checked my brother's and his is blank, but mine is not. Mine has the above.

Older carrier bundles do not help as much at this point. Right now its mostly who has what and later I'll take into consideration those bundles, but for now I need people's experience in the actual settings they have. For instance, back in iPhone OS 3, people had tethering and AT&T had the settings but it wasn't enabled unless you used a jailbreak tool.