Naked screen.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gsxr1000, Dec 10, 2015.

1. gsxr1000 macrumors member

gsxr1000

Well had a glass screen protector on my 42 space gray. But the edges looked bad where dust was collecting just under the edges. So I pulled it off and gonna run naked for a while. How many of you are running naked screens with no problems.

2. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I stopped using screen protectors on my phones several years ago. I did not like the feel of them and I am very careful to only put my phone in my right front pocket with nothing else. I have had my Watch Sport three weeks without a screen protector and it still looks perfect.

3. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

i have the space black stainless steel so been naked since day one. I would get the Sport if it wasnt for the screen scratching so easy, isnt it suppose the same glass screen thats found on current iPhones? ive been rolling naked with my 6 Plus since launch and not one scratch on the screen.

4. Teddysjam macrumors member

I'm thinking of going naked myself I'm on my 3rd screen protector I have a casemate naked tough bumper on watch and when I change bands my bumper slightly moves and messes up corners of screen protector.

5. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I exchanged my SG for a SB so I could go naked without worries.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Well this happened to me just 15 minutes ago. Who knows if a screen protector would've saved it. Just glad to have AppleCare. image.jpeg

7. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Never considered putting a protector on the watch. I can't imagine how it would look good?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had one, but it never really seemed to fit right and just through normal usage, it started peeling off. I'm now naked and so isn't my watch :p

This is why I opted for AC+. Bummers on having the watch break like that :(

9. appledrone macrumors regular

I've only recently started using a protector on my phone, no way i'd bother on my watch, dont get me wrong, I dont want to scratch it but if I do i'm not gonna lose sleep over it

10. tomi03 macrumors regular

tomi03

I don't use a screen protector on my watch and until now 0 scratches and tbh is not like I care a lot

11. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

No screen protector for any watch I have, smart or traditional.
    Never seen anyone own Rolex or Omega use watch protection cover, and yes, their sapphire will crack when drop it hard enough.

And trust me,it is more expensive to replace sapphire on Rolex than AW.

12. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Oops, how far did it drop for that much damage?

13. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Maybe like 4.5 feet. Fell right on the face.

14. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Yikes!

I doubt a screen protector alone would have helped since it looks like it cracked from the edge. If you had one of those watch bumpers, you might have been good. I do not like the look of the bumpers, so I will not be buying one for mine.

TxWatch

15. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Well sure, but many (most?) mechanical watches have their crystals sunk into a protective bezel. Short of impacting a protruding object, it is hard to impact the crystal directly; the body and grommets will absorb the impact. Unlike the AW, where its crystal bulges above the watch body for a more open touch interface. In that position the crystal can take more direct hits. I wouldn't consider using a watch body case or screen protector either, but it is not a fair comparison of damage potential between mechanical watches and the AW. The design philosophies for most are just too different. Just sayin.....

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Then again what Rolex are you constantly pressing the screen and turning the wheel and clicking the buttons 100+ times a day? Lol

17. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Trust me, it WILL crack from personal experience.
    If you don't believe it, get a Rolex and do a drop test.

18. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Do a drop test after you get a Rolex to prove me wrong.

I accident "drop test" my, and it did crack.

19. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

So show me where you drop test your edition Apple Watch and it cracked bc if your comparing Apple Watch to Rolex it should only be the edition one.

20. jasie02, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Why am I restricted on comparison?
    There is thread in forum compare Timex with AW, so why can't I compare any smart/traditional watch to any smart/traditional?

Added: I don't own any gold watch, see another thread. Has no intention to own any gold watch. Gold bling is not my thing, watch, clothes, teeth, car, house,..... no gold on them.

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Because comparing a 300$ sport to a Rolex that cost thousands is pretty ridiculous lol. But do you.

I think comparing a smart watch to a traditional watch is like comparing a pair of shoes with laces to a pair without laces

22. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Why is ridiculous?
    I think and do ridiculous thing every day!
    I love compare anything to anything.

Added: do something different once a week, it will make your life more exciting.

23. mguzzi macrumors regular

Ouch how did that happen?

24. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I dropped it while taking it off, haha.

25. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Since yours looks like a Space Black SS, I wonder if their is a difference with the SS vs Sport when it comes to breakage? In other words, is the Sapphire more prone to breaking from an edge hit versus ION-X Glass? (Scratch resistance aside)

TxWatch