Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsxr1000

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
North Carolina
Well had a glass screen protector on my 42 space gray. But the edges looked bad where dust was collecting just under the edges. So I pulled it off and gonna run naked for a while. How many of you are running naked screens with no problems.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I stopped using screen protectors on my phones several years ago. I did not like the feel of them and I am very careful to only put my phone in my right front pocket with nothing else. I have had my Watch Sport three weeks without a screen protector and it still looks perfect.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
i have the space black stainless steel so been naked since day one. I would get the Sport if it wasnt for the screen scratching so easy, isnt it suppose the same glass screen thats found on current iPhones? ive been rolling naked with my 6 Plus since launch and not one scratch on the screen.

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
I'm thinking of going naked myself I'm on my 3rd screen protector I have a casemate naked tough bumper on watch and when I change bands my bumper slightly moves and messes up corners of screen protector.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Well this happened to me just 15 minutes ago. Who knows if a screen protector would've saved it. Just glad to have AppleCare.
image.jpeg

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Never considered putting a protector on the watch. I can't imagine how it would look good?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I had one, but it never really seemed to fit right and just through normal usage, it started peeling off. I'm now naked and so isn't my watch :p

Well this happened to me just 15 minutes ago. Who knows if a screen protector would've saved it. Just glad to have AppleCare.
This is why I opted for AC+. Bummers on having the watch break like that :(

appledrone

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Devon, UK
I've only recently started using a protector on my phone, no way i'd bother on my watch, dont get me wrong, I dont want to scratch it but if I do i'm not gonna lose sleep over it

Reactions: mpfuchs

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
No screen protector for any watch I have, smart or traditional.
Never seen anyone own Rolex or Omega use watch protection cover, and yes, their sapphire will crack when drop it hard enough.

And trust me,it is more expensive to replace sapphire on Rolex than AW.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Maybe like 4.5 feet. Fell right on the face.

Yikes!

I doubt a screen protector alone would have helped since it looks like it cracked from the edge. If you had one of those watch bumpers, you might have been good. I do not like the look of the bumpers, so I will not be buying one for mine.

TxWatch

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
..Never seen anyone own Rolex or Omega use watch protection cover, and yes, their sapphire will crack when drop it hard enough.
Well sure, but many (most?) mechanical watches have their crystals sunk into a protective bezel. Short of impacting a protruding object, it is hard to impact the crystal directly; the body and grommets will absorb the impact. Unlike the AW, where its crystal bulges above the watch body for a more open touch interface. In that position the crystal can take more direct hits. I wouldn't consider using a watch body case or screen protector either, but it is not a fair comparison of damage potential between mechanical watches and the AW. The design philosophies for most are just too different. Just sayin.....

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
No screen protector for any watch I have, smart or traditional.
Never seen anyone own Rolex or Omega use watch protection cover, and yes, their sapphire will crack when drop it hard enough.

And trust me,it is more expensive to replace sapphire on Rolex than AW.
Then again what Rolex are you constantly pressing the screen and turning the wheel and clicking the buttons 100+ times a day? Lol

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Well sure, but many (most?) mechanical watches have their crystals sunk into a protective bezel. Short of impacting a protruding object, it is hard to impact the crystal directly; the body and grommets will absorb the impact. Unlike the AW, where its crystal bulges above the watch body for a more open touch interface. In that position the crystal can take more direct hits. I wouldn't consider using a watch body case or screen protector either, but it is not a fair comparison of damage potential between mechanical watches and the AW. The design philosophies for most are just too different. Just sayin.....

Trust me, it WILL crack from personal experience.
If you don't believe it, get a Rolex and do a drop test.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Then again what Rolex are you constantly pressing the screen and turning the wheel and clicking the buttons 100+ times a day? Lol

Do a drop test after you get a Rolex to prove me wrong.

I accident "drop test" my, and it did crack.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Do a drop test after you get a Rolex to prove me wrong.

I accident "drop test" my, and it did crack.
So show me where you drop test your edition Apple Watch and it cracked bc if your comparing Apple Watch to Rolex it should only be the edition one.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
So show me where you drop test your edition Apple Watch and it cracked bc if your comparing Apple Watch to Rolex it should only be the edition one.

Why am I restricted on comparison?
There is thread in forum compare Timex with AW, so why can't I compare any smart/traditional watch to any smart/traditional?

Added: I don't own any gold watch, see another thread. Has no intention to own any gold watch. Gold bling is not my thing, watch, clothes, teeth, car, house,..... no gold on them.

Last edited:

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Why am I restricted on comparison?
There is thread in forum compare Timex with AW, so why can't I compare any smart/traditional watch to any smart/traditional?

Added: I don't own any gold watch, see another thread. Has no intention to own any gold watch. Gold bling is not my thing, watch, clothes, teeth, car, house,..... no gold on them.
Because comparing a 300$ sport to a Rolex that cost thousands is pretty ridiculous lol. But do you.

I think comparing a smart watch to a traditional watch is like comparing a pair of shoes with laces to a pair without laces

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Because comparing a 300$ sport to a Rolex that cost thousands is pretty ridiculous lol. But do you.

I think comparing a smart watch to a traditional watch is like comparing a pair of shoes with laces to a pair without laces

Why is ridiculous?
I think and do ridiculous thing every day!
I love compare anything to anything.

Added: do something different once a week, it will make your life more exciting.

Reactions: AndrewR23

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Since yours looks like a Space Black SS, I wonder if their is a difference with the SS vs Sport when it comes to breakage? In other words, is the Sapphire more prone to breaking from an edge hit versus ION-X Glass? (Scratch resistance aside)

TxWatch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.